1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Government should have Military/Wildcard Slots

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Ryika, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

...instead of Military/Economy.

My reasoning for this is simple: It allows everybody to use the Great Person Policies that get unlocked by Civics in the Late Ancient Era instead of unlocking them but then not being able to actually use them until you unlock the other Governments in the early Classical Era. This would give a lot more strategical freedom by giving you access to 3 (4 if you count being able to beeline the Writer before the new Government) Boosts towards Great People.

The reason I would want to replace the Economy slot is that it makes it so using these Cards is still quite an investment, as you'll lose the in some cases very strong Economy bonuses.

This does of course have the potentially negative side effect of also allowing 2 Military Policies to be run at the same time, but within the limited options that are available of that time I don't see any effects that are too easy to abuse. You could of course combine one of the 50% production bonuses with the -1 Maintenance Card... and that sounds strong at first, but at the same time it is already possible to produce a ton of units and then switch to the -1 Maintenance Card - so it's not that much of a change (and Warriors don't cost Maintenance anyway).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Might be interesting....particularly because you could also make the diplomacy policies available with something other than Political Philosophy with all of the governments.

3. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

I like the way it is now. If you want early great people points (especially prophet), you need to build districts which slow down expansion. This decision carries a lot more weight than simply switching policy cards.

4. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

Don't forget that Greece got an extra wildcard slot from the start. Surely, it is designed to be an advantage.

Zantetsuken likes this.
  5. JosephC

JosephC Warlord

You can make that change here...

Path: ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data
    File: Governments.xml

Change
    <Row GovernmentType="GOVERNMENT_CHIEFDOM" GovernmentSlotType="SLOT_MILITARY" NumSlots="1"/>
    <Row GovernmentType="GOVERNMENT_CHIEFDOM" GovernmentSlotType="SLOT_WILDCARD" NumSlots="1"/>

Disclaimer: Something to do with changing game files & mess'n up your game.. have fun.

edit: .. just removed the line of code I commented out.. unnessessary

6. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Being able to run an extra Wildcard is always a bonus. The bonus would be a bit smaller of course.

7. Zantetsuken

Zantetsuken Chieftain

Besides feeling that having that wild card is sort of a "Greece" thing, more importantly I feel like it makes it a bit easier versus committing more to it and rushing Stonehenge or Religious districts, idk, if you want to change it or disagree or whatevs, more power to ya