first impression

teks

Prince
I was in the middle of reinstalling apha centauri, but a scratch on my cd prevented me from succeeding in my task, which is kinda sad because i bought the game twice already, and they wonder why people pirate games.
Well anyway. I was looking to see if Sid had any plans on remaking alpha centauri, and I found this. I was very skeptical trying this game out. no roads, no workshop, and that eco-counter thing, but my first game on prince with gia was very fun, and very addictive. The local wildlife kept me entertained, and their was always something to do.

Some of the great things about this mod...
Separate tech trees- Everyone ends up with a unique tech tree due to a lack of requirements to get your next tech.
hybrids vs terraformers- 2 very different sides, and 2 very different strategies. very cool, and makes the mod very replayable.
variety of wildlife- The spore launcher, fungal tower, and sea lurch were all great additions to the native army.
Good Ai- Alpha centauri's Ai was terrible. Planetfalls AI seems pretty darn good, and I was only playing on prince. I didn't see any water colonies yet, but maybe on monarch I will.
Bunkers- great idea, very useful

Some things That I didn't like as much.
no roads- This makes no sense to me, because its so basic. If you don't want them to be overdone make them take a long time to build, and/or make them only buildable in your territory. I didn't like fiddling with dropships just to move a few units around my own territory.
Overlapping improvements- I liked how in the original game you could build a kelp farm, and a tidal harness in the same tile. I could care less about combining farms, mines, solar panals, and such, but their are a few possibilities.
Faction Flavor- The factions could use some flavor. one special ability does not bring in enough to make the factions feel unique. Unique units would be tough to balance, but unique promotions could be interesting.
Buildings, and wonders - Smac had tons of wicked wonders that this game lacks, and whats up with mcdonalds, honestly. The buildings could use some love too. like biology labs giving a research bonus. reduced base cost structers arent very useful, since bases dont cost much anyway, and their is a lack of +science, +economy, + spy structures.

I also discovered a few bugs, or exploits.

If you build a colony on a coastal flatland square surrounded by cliffs then they only way the base could be attacked is via amphibious attack. making that base one tough cookie.
You can set up a line of dropships that can move units across the entire map in one turn similiar to a transport exploit in previous civ games
Fungal tower has a movement of 1, and I couldnt find any hint that it couldn't move, yet it can't move. it has a cargo space of 3, which is useless, and I assume it was done so that it could not be picked up by drop ships, which also sucked. I would prefer giving it 1 movement, and giving it * can only defend personally, because its a wierd unit to capture as of now.

I a firmly in love with this mod, and I think you guys had some really cool ideas that worked out very well. I think I'm most impressed that you got the AI to follow all of the changes you made.

variety of wildlife- The spore launcher, fungal tower, and sea lurch were all great additions to the native army.

Have you never played SMAX? :eek:

Good Ai- Alpha centauri's Ai was terrible. Planetfalls AI seems pretty darn good, and I was only playing on prince. I didn't see any water colonies yet, but maybe on monarch I will.

You should start seeing the AI build sea colonies when the easily available continents and islands are taken.

no roads- This makes no sense to me, because its so basic. If you don't want them to be overdone make them take a long time to build, and/or make them only buildable in your territory. I didn't like fiddling with dropships just to move a few units around my own territory.

Neither do I. But I don't see the need to use them in that way. Mag tubes are as fast as Dropships, right? :confused:

Faction Flavor- The factions could use some flavor. one special ability does not bring in enough to make the factions feel unique
Buildings, and wonders - Smac had tons of wicked wonders that this game lacks, and whats up with mcdonalds, honestly.

Suggestions on faction effects and secret projects are welcome. :)

If you build a colony on a coastal flatland square surrounded by cliffs then they only way the base could be attacked is via amphibious attack. making that base one tough cookie.

You can also use Vanguard units.

You can set up a line of dropships that can move units across the entire map in one turn similiar to a transport exploit in previous civ games

That's not intended, but I'm not sure which rule I could/should change to prevent this, which wouldn't have undesired side-effects for sea transports loading/unloading.

The strategy of creating a line of dropships sounds economically very inefficient to me though. So I doubt it's actually that big a deal.

because its a wierd unit to capture as of now.

You shouldn't be able to capture Fungal Towers. :confused: Are you playing unpatched?

I a firmly in love with this mod

Me too. :D

I never did play smacx, i was gonna but this is better anyway.

about the fungal tower. I was playing V11 with the latest BTS patch, and I didn't have any problems capturing fungal towers, but making them uncapturable would fix problems :p

I have come up with a few ideas for faction flavor that I already edited in to test out balance, and such.

gains - I havent yet added this but i was thinking of giving them a free promotion for all native life. either that or giving gains the +25% defense vs native life upgrade on certain units Edit: I gonna give gian units +25% xenofungus/hybrid/seafungus defense for now.
Hive - I gave them a -50% great person rate, and they receive an additional mineral on any square that already produces 4 (5 if it proves too good). makes boreholes more attractive for the hive.
Morgan- Morgan receives an additional energy on any square that already produces 4. makes boreholes more attractive to morgan
Spartans- +100% great general rate. If I could think of a way to do it I would make spartan units cost more to produce perhaps a free building like the hive, and university has that gives a -unit build %. Then I would set great general rate to 50%, and give them a watered-down charismatic trait.
Lal- +2 influence per base.
Believers- no anarchy for switching civics. Maybe give certain believer units the blitz promotion for free to show off their fanaticism.
University- All bases produce 2 free breakers. maybe make thier bases even more susceptable to spies. i love this guy. all the free techs i can handle.

most of this was very simple tweaks to traitinfos. I wish I could think of something more for lal, but How much of advantage can a guy have holding on to the UN's ideals. maybe a econimic sanctions ability?:lol:

I never did play smacx, i was gonna but this is better anyway.

about the fungal tower. I was playing V11 with the latest BTS patch, and I didn't have any problems capturing fungal towers, but making them uncapturable would fix problems :p

Pure v11 of Planetfall or with the latest patch of Planetfall on top of v11 (always named with letters, for v11 so far a-i)? Today patch j) was released and IIRC, the Fungaltower thing was recently fixed in a patch, because I had not captured one since a few weeks ago.

hey I was bored today.
I made the spartans a unique building that gave them -25% unit production, and gave new units disiplined, and +3xp. I was suprised it worked, so hooray.

I gave the believers blitz for land units and helicopters

I gave the gains a unique promotion giving them +25% defense on fungus, sea fungus, and hybrid forest. most units start with it free.

this is on top of smaller changes i already applied to every faction.
I'm gonna play a game like this, and see how it works out. hooray :-D

I must say, this is the first time I've finished a Planetfall game (before that I was hurrying and playing to bugtest, look at mechanisms or just enjoy and spend some time) and I must say that an overall feeling of the game is... it's entertaining and complete. There's always a field of improvement, but this game showed me that it's not less entertaining than original SMAC and better than most mods out there (well, except for FFH2 and Rhye's Fall which are ~ at the same level of entertainment for me). Also, it's a first game I tried a hybrid economy, and it brings a totally different feel than what I am used to (making every base a "borehole central"). Thank you very much :D.

Suggestions on faction effects and secret projects are welcome. :)
I recently had two ideas:

Telepathic Matrix (Secret Project)
Preq: Field Modulation
- Enemies suffer +100% War Weariness
- No anarchy for civic/religion change

These are classical big wonder effects it fits the "no riots" effect from SMAC pretty well. The war weariness effect is a little extra to keep it relevant, because later in Planetfall, you don't change your civics very often (less so than in Civ4) and fits theme-wise as well (if it can keep your people happy, you should be able to make your enemies less happy).

Longevity Vaccine (Secret Project)
Preq: Retroviral Engineering
- Gives 5x Longevity Vaccine Resource (+1 Health)

Because it's the perfect project for the resource mechanic (especially if you look at the SMAC effect)... alternatively, it could replace the Terran Fauna/McDonalds project in name and flavour.

Cheers, LT.

I sense a rebranding in the future.

No, I don't think you should.

Why not try, writing a bit of "lore" for planetfall.
For example, we know that McDonalds is a huge multinational corporation here, with a monopoly on a particular type of fast food.

Morgan is a businessman, with rather sketchy ethics.
And since earth no longer exists, copyright and trademark laws are moot, in addition to there only being a handfull of people still alive that would even remember what McDonalds was, mostly life-extended talents in the upper tiers of each faction.

So, he sets out to resurrect one of earth's largest corporations, using newfound cloning technology with animal tissue samples saved on the unity, the bovine race is resurrected from the ashes, and recipies gleaned from the unity datalinks, to recreate their product (cheeseburgers and fries) to perfection. And sells them to everyone on Planet.

Maybe for a bit of added fun, you could change the Terran Fauna resource to a "Cheeseburgers" resource. Have it give +2 happiness, but +1 :unhealth: due to making people fat.

Or perhaps it would work better as a corporation, rather than a wonder. Consuming Terran Fauna, and producing happiness and Food in cities that have it. Then add terran fauna as a resource that can spawn on farms in cities which have a cloning vat.

Top Bottom