First impressions about Civilization4

eddie_verdde

Warlord
First, I’d like to say that I’ve spent the last 2 days deciding whether I should write this post or not. On one hand I knew that expressing my feelings about this game would be like throwing peas at an elephant, I mean, why would the Civilization Franchise, or the CivFanatics community care about the opinion of a single player? On the other hand, I desperately needed to share everything that was stuck in my throat and I couldn’t do it with my girlfriend, with granny or with my cat. So, I finally decided to write the post.

Let it be clear that, by writing this post I don’t intend to influence the design or the characteristics of further Civ games, scenarios or add-ons. I gave up doing that after my first posts in the “Civ4 suggestions” forum, back in 2004, because I eventually became aware of the uselessness of most wishlists, “what should be in Civ4” polls, etc.
Furthermore, I’d like to say that what I’m about to write is my personal opinion. I know that there’s no such thing as “the perfect game”. I know that it’s impossible to please everyone. I know that Civilization will never be the game I’d like it to be. There will always be something that I or someone else won’t like that much. I could live with that. What frustrates me most is when I see the traditional conception of a game falling apart due to marketing pressure. Some of the following opinions I’m about to state are subjective and merely express a particular point of view; therefore I don’t expect that more than a minority of you will agree with me. Other opinions, however, will have the support of a significant part of the community and still others I’m sure everyone will agree with.
Having said that I’ll say what I think about a variety of issues, focusing on Interface, new concepts, game performance and audio/graphics.

New Concepts 1: Religion
Finally!! Why did the franchise waited 4 games to include the concept of religion? Religion had been claimed for many people for too many years. It’s my favourite new concept of Civ4 because it brings more depth to the game. Now we have another issue to worry about, an additional strategy that we need to define and we have an additional reason to make alliances and to declare war on our opponents. The missionaries are a very good idea, although their task could be a little more difficult to avoid unbalances during the game.

New Concepts 2: Civics

Excellent! Brought more flexibility to the game in terms of possible strategies because there are dozens of possible combinations in order to manage the empire. In addition, we don’t have to face all those endless periods of Anarchy anymore in which we could only move units, end turn and wait until the revolution was over. Much more realistic than the “government” concept of previous civs.

New Concepts: Internal Trade/Health

This was indeed a very good idea. The health of your citizens will depend on the variety of food available, access to fresh water and presence of jungles. This is especially important if your starting location is near the jungle. In Civ3, a city that was built near jungles or flood plains would have a hard time in developing because of the systematic strikes of disease. However, I don’t like the idea that a whole civilization can benefit from a single tile containing cattle or sheep. There’s an important concept missing here which is: “amount”. The same applies to strategic resources such as iron, copper and oil. It doesn’t make sense to me that a single tile containing a resource should be enough to sustain the whole empire.

Interface/Graphics/Game performance

Very disappointing. The way they chose to present the map, units, cities and landscape looks like a mess to me. The units are literally giants, blocking the view of the landscape and of the cities. It would be a lesser problem if each unit was composed of only one figure, but I guess that wouldn’t appease all those RTS fans they are aiming to this time, who love to see dozens of figures clubbing at each other. Besides, the cursor is also too big and clumsy (why not use a simple arrow?), and doesn’t help at all when you need to select something with precision. So, if you want to see what’s going on on a tile you have to be constantly zooming in and out and this turns out to be very unattractive due to the irregular movement of the camera (for instance: when you zoom in, there’s a quick close up initially, followed by a slow “breaking” in the end, instead of an uniform movement). And there are also the CTRL+Left/Right Arrow and the SHIFT+Left/Right Arrow options which I find completely useless unless you are to enjoy the beauty of seeing a mountain from different perspectives…personally I could live without the 3D…we’re playing CIV, not Rome Total War: you need a global perspective of the world you live in more than a local perspective of a single tile from different views. What’s crucial in Civ is the information you can obtain from the map, not the stunning, delightful, coloured environment that you can twist and zoom.
Back to the clumsiness of the main screen, I also dislike the display of information on top of the cities. Why is it necessary an orange bar/blue bar to show the progress of growing/building if you can see the number of turns it takes to complete growth/building? It’s redundant to say the least. Such information shouldn’t be displayed in the map, but only inside the city screen. Again, this only brings more confusion to the map, because, in addition to the variety of colours that units, terrain types, cultural borders and buildings show, you still have to deal with two enormous blue and orange rectangles…and this becomes worse when you zoom out, where the only thing you can see in the map are blue and orange rectangles on top of each others. In a nutshell, the map is saturated with colours, figures, nausea-causing movements and unnecessary information. And if the map is saturated, your eyes will also become saturated, along with your brain.
Nevertheless, I guess most of us will eventually be able to deal with this. What I find unbearable is the amount of time that takes to perform “one-click” tasks such as increasing the technology rate or moving a unit to another tile. For instance, one might think that increasing the technology rate from 70% to 80% would be a quick action. Well, it’s not. First, you have to position very carefully your fat, clumsy scroll on top of the research button. After you click, it will take almost one second for the percentage to increase. When moving units is the same thing: you enter the number pad and only after one second the unit will move. The same when you’re selecting the tiles to be worked in the city screen…and NO, it’s not a hardware problem…I’m running the game on a Pentium IV with 1G of RAM and a graphic card of 256M. Pretty annoying for those who hate micromanagement and want to perform these tasks very rapidly. Wonderful for those who love the 3D graphics as they will have plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful landscapes, while the unit decides to move or while the research button changes. Such actions should occur instantaneously in a normal game. Regarding the performance of the game there’s another thing that bothers me: every time I enter the “windows” button I go the windows mode, but when I come back the game crashes. And what’s with the game resolution? When I enhance the resolution to 1440x900 (which my computer supports) the game exits without further warning.
Back to the graphics, I must say that I find the graphics of Civ3 much better in some ways. Although the landscapes are more beautiful and detailed than in Civ3, the maps somehow look a little “blocky” resembling the graphics of Civ1 and Civ2, not only because of the excess of 90º angles (in coastal squares especially) but also because of the distribution of vegetation, hills, etc INSIDE each square. In other words, in Civ3 you would look at the map and you would hardly recognize its division into squares, while in Civ4 you can perfectly identify the squares especially along the coast. So, I guess this was a step back.
Another thing that disappointed me is the music. So far, the only tunes that I’ve heard are the same of Civilization3. And in the early stages of the game, the only tune you’ll hear is the one from Civilization1 but you need to be in the maximum zoom to hear it. What about the units? Yes, they do speak their mother language. I actually enjoyed hearing my roman archers speaking Latin…that is, until I expanded and having to spend most of the time in a medium zoom. Then I realised that I can only hear the units talk in a big zoom. In a medium-small zoom, all I hear are whispers…which makes perfect sense…after all, if the units are down there and we are watching them from the sky how could one expect to hear them? I recognize however that they’ve done a nice job with the environment sounds (birds, wind, waves, etc)…they create a very nice atmosphere for the game.
Finally, many efforts were put into giving the new players an intuitive interface with lots of hints, information and help pop-ups but they failed in providing an easy access to the information depicted in Civilopedia. For instance, in Civ3 there were a lot more links to Civilopedia entries: you could go very quickly from a unit to a technology and from there to a building, with a single click, while in Civ4 not all of the information is easily accessible, you have to open the civilopedia and search for yourself.

Wild animals

This issue has been debated for too long in other topics, so I won’t spend much time with this. One of the self-proclaimed aims of Civ4 was the reduction of micromanagement…in some ways this mission was accomplished…but than the inclusion of wild animals in the game is not very coherent with this intention of reducing micromanagement. I mean, I, the leader of a civilization, with lots of cities to manage, lots of armies to command and thousands of subjects, don’t have to worry about cleaning pollution and micromanage each tile of each city…but I must be worried about a bunch of wolves or tigers because they threat the integrity of my armies and citizens (????)…why on earth would a group of panthers be a major threat to an entire ARMY? Most of the animals depicted in the game don’t attack in groups in the first place!! And even if they did, how could they be a menace to an army or a group of settlers? Armies and settlers have weapons, fire and they travel in big groups (remember that a city of size one has 1000 people)…at least the designers were sensible enough to prevent wild animals from entering the borders.

The flow of the game

This is the issue that I most dislike and that frustrated me most since Civ2, and that I was hoping could be corrected. Basically, in Civ3, the game flows too rapidly, especially in ancient times, partly due to the “technological race” set by the AI. This could be summarised as follows: in Civ3, the priority of the AI is having access to new technologies as fast as possible. New technologies lead to new units and new buildings. What happens is that sometimes, especially in higher difficulty levels, the technological race is so intense that entire sets of units are skipped without having the opportunity to be used. In 90% of the games that I played in Civ3, I could spend the entire ancient era without needing to use swordsman or I could spend the renaissance without using musketmen. At the time I was finished upgrading all my pikemen to spearmen, there was already riflemen available. In other games, when I finally had managed to gather an adequate number of knights to attack my neighbour there was already Cavalry available. A similar situation happened with the explorer unit…when the unit was finally available, there was nothing left to explore…why? Because the game went too fast in the earlier stages. Last night I was playing Civ4. I chose the Epic mode and the Warlord difficulty level to prevent this from happen…Right now, I’ve just researched Feudalism and I’m about to enter the middle ages, where new, more powerful units will be available. In the meantime, since the beginning of the game, I created 3 Praetorians (Rome unique unit) and a handful of Archers, and soon they will become obsolete and I’ve never had the opportunity to use them, because there was no “classical age”…because things have gone too fast since the founding of my capital. And I’m playing on a relatively easy difficulty level…I can’t wait to see what will happen when I play in King Level, where the tech race is more intense and the human player is forced to keep up with the AI. Probably I’ll be able to build Nukes by 1500 AD and units such as Crossbowmen, Knights and Cannons will be part of the list of the units that have never been used. Having said that, what’s the point in having so many varieties of units? It’s clear that the objective of the game is to reach the Modern Age as soon as possible so that one can enjoy all those cool Tanks, Helicopters and Nukes. That’s the path of the game: no Dark Ages, no turning points, no global catastrophes…everything is always better than the previous turn…It’s a shame. If the goal of civilization is merely to reach the modern times, why not create a “Sid Meier’s Modern Civilization” instead?

Conclusion
In conclusion, Civ4 was created with the clear purpose of attracting a new profile of players, namely RTS fans and to do that, certain things had to be changed, such as the 3D graphics and the representation of units; things that most fans of Civilization could well live without. Civ4 brought an end to the usefulness of the advisors and the interface also changed a bit and still has some flaws. The performance of the game could be better. But what frustrated me most was the “pace of the game”, which changed little or nothing since Civ3 and leaves no room for a plausible, challenging and flavoured experience in each of the different eras of History. Entire Eras still can be skipped without relevant events and without enjoying its environment, buildings and units. Nevertheless, Civ4 brought a set of new interesting concepts that certainly will please everyone (religion, civics) but other concepts (eg: civil wars) were once again “forgotten”, and probably will only be included in a new game in 3 or 4 years, when Civ4 ceases to be profitable and a new, fresh product is required.

I hope to get some feedback and I’d appreciate if you refrain from using the typical clichés: “if you don’t like it, don’t play it” or “if you don’t like it mod it” because, although that might be true, it’s not enough to “wash” the negative aspects of the game. Plus, not everything can be moded and some of us have more important things to do than spending days in front the computer modding Civ4. I like to think that, if I have some free time, I want to spend it playing, not modding.

I agree with you on a lot of points. Civ 4 will not please everyone. Somethings you said however I think are a little "nitpicky". If you don't want to change them, don't want to hear that others can and will change them, there is no pleasing you then is there? Why bother posting if all you want to hear is people agreeing with you. Maybe to stroke your ego? *Yawn*
If you don't like the huge units of three then change it to one under options. Pretty simple I think. That or wait for a mod to reduce the size or mod it yourself if you have the talent.
Wild animals are fine. I think they are there for game balance more than anything. So you don't send out undefended settlers before barbarians start showing up. Once again, if you don't like them I am sure you can find a mod that will change them to barbarians or something like that.
I do agree on one resource supplying your whole empire being a little unrealistic. That maybe could use some revision.
Technical issues with the game I agree with you as well. There were and are still problems that are unacceptable.
All in all I don't think it is a perfect game either. However I think it has enormous potential if it can be extensively modded as claimed. Then the skies the limit and it will be infinately replayable and infinately fun. If it sucks so bad that you give up on it, well I guess you can spend more time with people you love. A win win situation. Just my opinion of course...

I skimmed through it, and I don't see much of a problem with Wild Animals. I only get pissed when I need to put my second city and the settler gets chewed up by one of these wild animals.

I think the game has more positive aspects than negative ones. I agree with most of your points, the performance of the game is quite disapointing, specially load times. However, I think the game is very enjoyable, took off concepts like corruption and pollution that where a little bit annoying, I like the graphics, and the feature that allows you to listen your mp3's instead of the game music. In short, I think it's a very good game, it has many flaws, but in the end it keeps the same addictive gameplay that we keep loving since the first Civ.

And yes, it IS a hardware problem, and it's all yours. I have never encountered any slowdown changing the tech percentage, or any 1-sec delays moving units.

I just want to say that

1. The units are no bigger than in other Civs (come on, they've ALWAYS been Godzillas)

and

2. You can make them into 1 unit graphic instead of 3 by going into the options menu

GI_Joe said:
And yes, it IS a hardware problem, and it's all yours. I have never encountered any slowdown changing the tech percentage, or any 1-sec delays moving units.

Quite a common "all yours", then. I have a machine well above the required specs using good standard components and I, since I work in IT, know what to do and how to configure a machine - and experience the very same thing. So don't give me that "hardware problem" crap when hundreds of other games and programs which have inherently higher demands run smoothly.

This interface is, in fact, a catastrophe. This is especially frustrating since the CIV series has always been reknowned for setting the standards as far as game interface is concerned. Playability was sacrifized to the almighty god of 3D - without the tiniest need for it, gameplay-wise.

calyth said:
I skimmed through it, and I don't see much of a problem with Wild Animals. I only get pissed when I need to put my second city and the settler gets chewed up by one of these wild animals.

Haha that's usually when I restart the game. :D Those wolves taught me how to send a warrior along with a settler though.

DemonDeLuxe said:
Quite a common "all yours", then. I have a machine well above the required specs using good standard components and I, since I work in IT, know what to do and how to configure a machine - and experience the very same thing. So don't give me that "hardware problem" crap when hundreds of other games and programs which have inherently higher demands run smoothly.

This interface is, in fact, a catastrophe. This is especially frustrating since the CIV series has always been reknowned for setting the standards as far as game interface is concerned. Playability was sacrifized to the almighty god of 3D - without the tiniest need for it, gameplay-wise.

I had the same problem, especially when I used the cooool spies. The slowdonw was horrible. I changed the graphics card and the problem has gone. :D

(that was before the patch was released, so, it is not an improvement of the patch)

If you cannot afford a better card, try using one unit graphics instead of three. Reduce the quality of the graphics, the rendering, etc...

Urederra said:
If you cannot afford a better card, try using one unit graphics instead of three. Reduce the quality of the graphics, the rendering, etc...

Erm... I set graphics quality to minimum, changing units to 1-figure-only was done right after my first test game (since I absolutely do not care for what some people dare to call "eye candy" and which, in fact, is sub-par low-poly texture desert anyway). I have an Athlon XP 2000+, 1 GB of RAM, a Geforce3 500, so I'm well above the minimum requirements. I can run much more (graphic-wise) sophisticated games than CIV and I am DEFINITELY not willing to buy a new graphics card just because some coders aren't able to optimize their code and sell a game without proper testing that does not perform using the required specs.

This is a TBS game, dangit! I really don't care for those fancy (and arguably ugly) graphics as long as they are totally redundant, gameplay-wise, which they indeed ARE in CIV4. To prove that: I even play "Master of Magic" now and then today, with it's 640 pixels resolution - because it's the complexity of the game and the atmosphere of it that counts in a simulation. I tried "Age of Wonders 2", which essentially *IS* MoM with much superior graphics, but dropped it after one complete game because they halved the number of spells and creatures in that edition (so they did the same thing as CIV4: trade complexity and variety for resource-heavy, polished graphics).

No, sir. That's not the way a CIV game works.

Complexity and plausibility first.
Interface next.
Then atmosphere.
And long after that: graphics - if it doesn't hurt the other aspects.

My GeForce4 sucks (lots of delay in move/zoom), but my GFs works grand, and it has some old graphics card in it (not sure what, need to check). Hoping the patch fixes that :(

The flow of the game

This is my biggest problem with Civilization IV! Time goes by way to fast you dont get to enjoy each unit. It reminds me of RTS just a race to the finish, Ive modded my game to slow it down a bit.

The other thing i Hate is that the AI is way to peaceful they dont declare war too often even on Agressive AI setting.
Besides these things its a good game overall.

eddie_verdde said:
Interface/Graphics/Game performance

Very disappointing. The way they chose to present the map, units, cities and landscape looks like a mess to me. [snip] What’s crucial in Civ is the information you can obtain from the map, not the stunning, delightful, coloured environment that you can twist and zoom.

I agree with you, but I can also face the reality that this is what sells the game. When it starts to get in the way of gameplay then it's a problem.

Back to the clumsiness of the main screen, I also dislike the display of information on top of the cities. Why is it necessary an orange bar/blue bar to show the progress of growing/building if you can see the number of turns it takes to complete growth/building? It’s redundant to say the least. Such information shouldn’t be displayed in the map, but only inside the city screen.

I disagree with this for the most part, okay we don't need to see a bar, but as much information as possible should be conveyed without having to open the city screen. I think having some hot points that would bring up more information when you mouseover could improve things.

The big thing we kept hearing before the game came out was how all the buildings in the cities were shown on the map so you could tell what a city had without opening the city screen. Give me a break, it's just cluttered and other than the pyramids and a few others I have no idea what is what. Can I tell if there's a barracks? not a chance. Sounds like a nice idea, but it's purely eye candy and not practical at all. We also kept hearing how even going into the city screen at all was going to be a rare event. Sure, on cheiftain that will work. Try that above noble and wonder why you're in last place.

Back to the graphics, I must say that I find the graphics of Civ3 much better in some ways. Although the landscapes are more beautiful and detailed than in Civ3, the maps somehow look a little “blocky” resembling the graphics of Civ1 and Civ2, not only because of the excess of 90º angles (in coastal squares especially) but also because of the distribution of vegetation, hills, etc INSIDE each square. In other words, in Civ3 you would look at the map and you would hardly recognize its division into squares, while in Civ4 you can perfectly identify the squares especially along the coast. So, I guess this was a step back.

Have to disagree with you there. The first thing I do when I load the game is turn on the tile grid to make it even more obvious where the tiles are (still no option to have this always be on, have to turn it on every load). Ultimately this is a tile based game and you absolutely must think of the map in terms of tiles as long as that remains true. I think they've got the right balance of making it look nice and showing you what you need to see.

The flow of the game

Last night I was playing Civ4. I chose the Epic mode and the Warlord difficulty level to prevent this from happen…Right now, I’ve just researched Feudalism and I’m about to enter the middle ages, where new, more powerful units will be available. In the meantime, since the beginning of the game, I created 3 Praetorians (Rome unique unit) and a handful of Archers, and soon they will become obsolete and I’ve never had the opportunity to use them, because there was no “classical age”…because things have gone too fast since the founding of my capital. And I’m playing on a relatively easy difficulty level…

I really haven't had much of a problem with this though you are not alone. I'm playing on normal speed and I have enough time with most units to engage in a full war. I have a big problem with it requiring the entire GDP of my country for a year to train one squad of archers how to use a slightly larger bow, and then the entire GDP again how to fire a gun.

It’s clear that the objective of the game is to reach the Modern Age as soon as possible so that one can enjoy all those cool Tanks, Helicopters and Nukes. That’s the path of the game: no Dark Ages, no turning points, no global catastrophes…everything is always better than the previous turn…It’s a shame. If the goal of civilization is merely to reach the modern times, why not create a “Sid Meier’s Modern Civilization” instead?
[snip]
But what frustrated me most was the “pace of the game”, which changed little or nothing since Civ3 and leaves no room for a plausible, challenging and flavoured experience in each of the different eras of History. Entire Eras still can be skipped without relevant events and without enjoying its environment, buildings and units.

The game has always had this feel that you are just stepping along, or charging forward, on a straight arrow course to the future. You're replaying history rather than reinventing it. The tech tree is still too static, and while you have options all you really have is a strategy choice of what to do first between A and B on your way to C

I don't know what's needed. Does the whole tech tree concept need to get tossed and come up with some radically different way of doing it, or does it just need tweaking. I've suggested as a mod that the tech tree be made broader, and each game random techs would be disabled. Sometimes it would be branch techs that didn't have much effect, less often it would be something really big that cut off a huge section of the tree.

Maybe the victory conditions need to be more complex. Maybe there should be a winner for each era. You'd win the game by winning two eras or something like that. Then you'd have choice of playing for the short term or the future. I don't know

Another thing that disappointed me is the music. So far, the only tunes that I’ve heard are the same of Civilization3. And in the early stages of the game, the only tune you’ll hear is the one from Civilization1 but you need to be in the maximum zoom to hear it.
I've been listening to quite a bit of baroque and classical music in the middle and renaissance ages...

Finally, many efforts were put into giving the new players an intuitive interface with lots of hints, information and help pop-ups but they failed in providing an easy access to the information depicted in Civilopedia. For instance, in Civ3 there were a lot more links to Civilopedia entries: you could go very quickly from a unit to a technology and from there to a building, with a single click, while in Civ4 not all of the information is easily accessible, you have to open the civilopedia and search for yourself.
I agree completely. The Civlopedia was the most useful reference tool in Civ3, and I really hope they improve on the Civ4 Civlopedia somehow in updates.

Top Bottom