First Legitimate Win

titanvol

Chieftain
Okay, so like I was a very big civ III fan, bought IV the day it was released, hated it. Sold it to my neighbor's son for $25 dollars and never looked back. Kept playing conquests and was perfectly happy. Unitl I joined the military, went to basic, and came home to find somebody had stolen both my conquest and my morrowind games.

So I buy Oblivion and play that, and then my wife, knowing I would rather play civ, goes out and gets civ . . . only it's civ IV not III, she got the gold edition with warlords. I really didn't wanna tell her she got the wrong thing, thought I would play around with it for awhile, make her happy, and then find civ III complete somewhere, switch and she would never know. Only when I forced myself to really play, I started to actually like the game.

At first I just kept reloading when I made mistakes or things didn't go my way, used the wb, cause I had no real desire to learn the game. Then I started to like and appreciate it and so I played a few games at Monarch level, but admitttedly these were reloaded a couple times, couldn't break the habit. Then just as I decide to play a game through without reloading, my wife surprises me again and I get BTS for x-mas.

So then I went back to reloading as I tried to learn to play BTS and get a handle on the new stuff.

Finally I decided I was ready to really play a legitimate game, Persia, Standard Pangea, Normal Speed, Monarch difficulty and won a domination victory in 1440 AD score: 4428 --> 207284, Augustus Caesar.

Now I am thinking of trying Inca & space race.

Then just as I decide to play a game through without reloading, my wife surprises me again and I get BTS for x-mas.

You, sir, have an awesome wife! :goodjob:

Glad to see you get into BtS. I've found it much more addictive than Civ3 so be careful! ;)

@Roller, it was Persia :)

Congrats! I wish my girlfriend was that supportive:lol:, I think one day I will come back home and there won't be civ nor computer!

Gratz! :lol: Now conquer the world and be somebody! :crazyeye::goodjob:

Congrats! I wish my girlfriend was that supportive:lol:, I think one day I will come back home and there won't be civ nor computer!

Haha, I feel the same way!

Congratulations on your win titanvol. :goodjob:

BTS will continue to amaze (and frustrate) you. :)

Good job Titanvol!

While I immediately loved Civ IV my best friend, who got me into the Civilizations franchise, is like you were: he loved Civ III but didn't like Civ IV. Was there any specific turning points or facets of Civ IV that you recall helped you make the jump from III to IV? I enjoy being a Civ IV addict and it saddens me to know my best friend is wasting his life away playing World of Warcraft when he could be rocking out some Civ IV. I just need to encourage him. Having made the leap, do you have any advice?

Argument: The AI in Civ IV is ( regardless of all it's faults ) one of the smartest AI around ( especially BtS one ). It would smash the C3C AI easily :p

True, true. Especially [civ4] Rome vs [civ3] Rome, because [civ4] has Praetorians and [civ3] doesn't. :lol:

Argument: The AI in Civ IV is ( regardless of all it's faults ) one of the smartest AI around ( especially BtS one ). It would smash the C3C AI easily :p

It seems to me that they are about the same. Because I was a kid when I started playing Civ 3 and I'm in my mid-20ies now, so maybe AI grows up as well, and having in mind technological advances, that is a logical step up. Right?

Good job Titanvol!

While I immediately loved Civ IV my best friend, who got me into the Civilizations franchise, is like you were: he loved Civ III but didn't like Civ IV. Was there any specific turning points or facets of Civ IV that you recall helped you make the jump from III to IV? I enjoy being a Civ IV addict and it saddens me to know my best friend is wasting his life away playing World of Warcraft when he could be rocking out some Civ IV. I just need to encourage him. Having made the leap, do you have any advice?

Best thing civ 4 relative to civ3 - none of the horrible horrible corruption issues from civ3. I don't think I could get more than about 10-20 useful cities in civ 3 before they got overrun with corruption. That, coupled with the other small nice features (religion, more advanced civics, better AI, combat system and promotions, etc...) just makes it so much better. I've started playing BtS in October, and haven't put it down since (my gf has only now started to accept my addiction, I believe).

Good job Titanvol!

I think the thing about civ IV which stood out to me why i didn't like it at first was a lot of the rule changes were made to eliminate many exploits, IMHO. For example, you can't prebuild for wonders. However, being able to switch around productin and work overflow, rush wonders, & chop forests can be very powerful, I just didn't grasp that at first. It's not just wonders, cause I stopped building any when I started playing emporer, it's things like short rushing and prebuilding for new units about to come due, or a library. Hammer overflow was a concept I did not understand, all I saw was that I could no longer prebuild or short rush. Especially the short rushing because that was a huge part of my strategies.

Not being able to trade techs for gpt, that still hurts. & the diplomacy system is hard, so you have to learn about triangle diplomacy. So you have to learn how to choose and run a real economy instead of exploiting the AI.

I hated the promotion system because it sounded too complicated.

Overall, the ting which helped me was I was playing on the level below noble (warlord?) and reloaded everytime something went wrong, & the AI was kicking my tail, so I was doing a lot of reloading & I thought, wait a minute, I'm a much better civ player than this. So I read a little on the forums (I was a member by a different name a long time ago, but have no idea what my forum name was) & learned some strategy and got better, a lot better.

Plus I don't mind practicing, I prolly played through the opening of about 15 different games with persia before I made a real attempt at a game, so I got really good at understanding the immortal rush (took out 2 civs with immortals this game, one w/ 3 cities, another w/ 5)

The thing is, IV has so many more options than III and it is more of a challenge to learn certain things. Which is why right now I am concentrating on one game at a time, trying to get good at a certain type of game and certain aspects of the associated strategy until I can be a well rounded player. So, to sum all that up, if your friend doesn't like taking the time to really learn a game and play something that he will invest hours into that he is either going to lose the game or quit it to start over with a fresh approach, which he will either lose or quit, then your friend will prolly never like civ IV. Civ III was much easier to learn, I just started playing on chieftain, learned how everything worked after a few games, moved up to regent, won a bunch of games, moved up to monarch, you get the idea. This game, you can't install it and play at settler for a couple games to get the hang of things then compete with the AI at noble, IMHO.

You, sir, have an awesome wife! :goodjob:

Yes, I know. I work nights and when I get up in the afternoon I immediately turn on the computer & play for about an hour, she never complains. Of course, sometimes it doesn't hurt that she is addicted to guitar hero.

Congratulations, and it is great score for a first win. (and even for not first, IMHO)

Thanks, but I did do a lot of practicing my opening strategy before I really attempted the game, and regenerated the map several times to get an awesome start. I think I ended up playing about 15 different openings, that included a couple games I quit because of a failed invasion on the second civ, one (I can't remember what civ) had settled on the freaking copper and then built too many spears.

Going through the same thing w/ my quecha rush right now, trying to figure out how many I need and should I build a barracks first, etc, etc. But since this is a space race, I plan to only take out one civ, preferable the one who founds an early religion.

Top Bottom