1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] First Look: Georgia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 9, 2018.

1. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Oh, right. Forgot about that, because it wasn't there in beginning and the Acropolis got buffed with a patch.
    Anyway, you'll be able to get far more Envoys from Tamar's ability than from unique Theater Squares.

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

That's why you make the Aztecs pay for it.

3. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

UA: Not bad. Extra envoys for converted CS's is nice, and the earlier protectorate CB makes it a reasonable deterrent against other civs attacking your CSs. If you get the bulk of your mid-game faith from CS's, the CB would make it win-win in that you either get easy consistent faith or a huge 10-turn bonus to make up for whatever was lost when the CS was taken.

LA: Not what I would have expected from an ability described as having a "unique interaction". It's hard to gauge how powerful it is without having actually seen the age system in action. I feel like it must be quite strong, however, because of how the unique unit and building are panning out.

Unique Unit - Khevsureti: Rather bland. A generic hill bonus that could have been given to any hilly civ, really, and be just as fitting. Not much to say here.

Unique Building - Tsikhe: This one is so weird. The official write-up dates the Tsikhe to the classical era, the +3 faith is kinda meh and would really fit in with an earlier era for faith generation, and the useful walls are usually the earlier ones. Yet this is a renaissance-era building? This is what makes me think the LA must be quite powerful, because everything points to the walls theoretically arriving earlier (most notably, the official post saying they were contemporary with Alexander the Great, who was definitely not a renaissance era leader). It seems like they were nerfed for balance reasons, not really flavor ones.

Honestly the wall bonus could have just been part of the civ ability--"Walls provide faith, scaling with era (ancient walls +1, classical +2, etc.) I very much like the idea of faith from walls as Georgia, but not so much the execution.

Overall, and I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but the unique unit + building feels like those of a mod civ limited to XML editing. The bonuses are basic flat ones like "bonus on hills" and "bonus faith on walls" that just seem quite bland.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    NegativeZero and Olleus like this.
  4. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Warlord

Try a game on Emperor or Immortal without any warmongering. Try to win science or culture with settlers you built (or capture from defensive wars). You may find that you need those better walls on one or two of your perimeter cities, especially if you have Alexander or Sumeria for a neighbor....

Peaceful play, while not efficient, sometimes need those things.

5. GoodSarmatian

Oh, right. Another thing I keep forgetting. Added through in patch, yes ?
    Anyway, when I play culturally I just spam Theater Square Festival and buy Artists with faith, but I'll try to remember to build walls in the future.

6. frubox

frubox Chieftain

She's meh...surprise surprise!
    This was firaxis telling everyone: There's a reason we put some civs instead of others.

There's obscure civ and obscure civ, and Georgia was one we could have lived without as far as I'm concerned. No wonder the civ is so dull. Don't want to be offensive to my Georgian friends, but there wasn't much to work with and this is the result.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess...

Olleus and AbsintheRed like this.
  7. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Wow, you choose a better word then. Obviously if not building walls after ancient is overly common then a civ like Georgia could fill that playstyle gap.

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm not even sure how anyone can say that with certainty when nobody legally allowed to post here has ever played a game using the civ's highlighted mechanic.

(not directed to you per se but so many people seem to be downplaying it when we've never used it.

Siptah and CivLuvah like this.
  9. Vasire

Vasire Chieftain

BTW Besides Russia Georgia is the first former Soviet republic to get a major civ, right? Interesting choice. I always thought they would pick Armenia or Lithuania first.

10. Reavici

Reavici Chieftain

11. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

A mediocre civ design is a result of lazy developing. Many posters here posted better ideas for a Georgian civ in the speculation thread.

12. nunor

nunor King

They can't seem to get skin tones right, do they? They're so afraid of whitewashing that they end up overcompensating in melanin for no valid reason. Here's hoping Tamar will eventually get the Seondeok treatment.

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

(anyhow, I'm done with this topic now. not nearly as important as the ink it's getting.)

14. GoodSarmatian

Ah, I just remembered another thing about walls.
    They're better with Monarchy and allow for pretty large cities earlier, a thing I keep forgetting because I normally go for Merchant Republic for the trade routes, discounts and more useful policy slots, but they're making changes to governments and hitting Merchant Republic with the Nerf Hammer, which (relatively) improves Monarchy, which improves Walls.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, I'm in a game right now where I went monarchy for the first time in just about ever, and actually making walls because I usually don't. The cost usually makes them not worth it.

16. Reavici

Reavici Chieftain

Thormodr likes this.
  17. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I always build up my walls when I go for a Tourism Victory. The bonus isn't huge, but it's nice and could make a difference. The increased ability to defend yourself is also really valuable, you don't want the AI to capture your Great Works or wreck your defensive tourism by capturing your cities.

Georgia's UB isn't a game-changer by any means, but it provides a small buff to Culture victories, which is nice.

18. cakes

cakes Prince

Ok I'm definitely convinced it's tamar of Georgia, it's the only one that fits alphabetically

19. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

It kind of looks like they missed the fortress with the churches near the fortress:

+

=

Zaarin and Thormodr like this.
  20. Reavici

Reavici Chieftain

anyways Firaxis did great job by adding Georgian Civ :thumbsup: I was waiting for that like for ages...