First Look: India (Gandhi)

Once again, they also gave India a really weird boost that is less straightforward and less useful than other civs... and gave it a name that has little to do with historical Indian diplomacy
Dharma is historic though, and a really appropriate name for a UA focused on religious diversity. Dharma is a key concepts in the 4 major religions that originated in the Indian Subcontinent: Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism. The religions are sometimes grouped as the Indian or Dharmic religions.

(totally could have gone for the Mandala system with city states, given how most of SE Asia used Sanskrit ruler titles, and named their cities/realms after historical and mythical Indian states....)
While India has had immense influence on SEA, the various Indian states were not part of the Mandala System, so that UA makes no sense with them.

Spoiler :

Perhaps the Ramayana as a UA to represent that immense cultural power would be appropriate though.

Really disappointed to see Gandhi again. The chosen uniques would have also been perfect for Ashoka too, and he captures India's sometimes violent past a fair bit better, while still maintaining the strong religious theme.

Hmmmm... Still not a fan of Gandhi but I'll be playing them just to see how the mechanics play. It would have been nice to see a new leader but it appears Gandhi/India had their agenda set early, even before deciding that unhappiness/happiness was not going to be in the game anymore.

Gandhi is ugly AF in my opinion. They need to add an alternate leader for India, or at the very least a modder should. The sooner I can get rid of Gandhi the better.

Interesting, I also like that the peaceful side is focused on Gandhi, a different leader could become quite a warmongering civ, benefitting from all the religions in his (or her) empire by just exchanging the Leader UA with another unique unit or something, or a cultural civ that draws in different religions by trade routes or something. Because India is definitely a prime candidate for 2 to 3 leaders or other civs from their subcontinent.

That's the first civ I have found to be underwhelming. Gandhi (I seriously despise him and his meme) of course looks like cartoon alien, religious bonuses sound passive, and of course civ series didn't introduce some fresh air or interesting depiction of Indian civilization, instead once again giving stereotype "elephants-religion-food-hippies".
I'd adore indian civ to finally be different in the franchise - with some militarist emperor, heavy infantry unit, and bonuses to economy/science/culture/military.

If India is next to me at the start of the game its my first target to take over

Anyone know what their colours are based on? It looks quite nice, but it's not the usual green/yellow.

Anyone know what their colours are based on? It looks quite nice, but it's not the usual green/yellow.

I don't know the reasoning for it, but it is the same color scheme as the Kavithan Protectorate (basically India) in Beyond Earth.

Anyone else notice that India uses the Middle Eastern art style this time instead of the Asian one?

Anyone else notice that India uses the Middle Eastern art style this time instead of the Asian one?

Is it? The palace looks different. It looks distinctly mogul-ish (0:26 in the video).

Edit: I checked with the Egypt video (presumably middle eastern). It looks different.
Edit2: Scythia has the same buildings as India.
Edit3: Egypt's style looks rather Egyptian overall. Maybe they share it with Sumer and Scythia & India share another one?

IIRC, every civ has their own individual palace design, but other buildings are grouped.

I checked the FL videos. France, Germany and Spain share the same palace design. So do Scythia and India.
But I've seen two different ones for medieval France. Maybe they are not finished with all palace designs.

With regards to how Gandhi looks in Civilization VI... I don't really mind the stylized look this time around. Gandhi was short in real life and was skinny at various points due to fasting. And hell... he somewhat looks like a modernized version of how he was represented in Civilization IV:
Spoiler :

That's a strange and unexpected change of Civ colors for India. I prefer the green and yellow for India, and that's not just a case of "it's new and I"m not used to it".

That's the first civ I have found to be underwhelming. Gandhi (I seriously despise him and his meme) of course looks like cartoon alien, religious bonuses sound passive, and of course civ series didn't introduce some fresh air or interesting depiction of Indian civilization, instead once again giving stereotype "elephants-religion-food-hippies".
I'd adore indian civ to finally be different in the franchise - with some militarist emperor, heavy infantry unit, and bonuses to economy/science/culture/military.

I was thinking he looks like a frog or maybe a brown Gollum. Up til now I really liked the art style and have had no real issue with any leader head. Gandhi's is pretty bad...

Of course.

A corps that can attack a city directly doesn't appeal?

No, you just seem to be getting the mechanics wrong.

Corps don't work like that. They combine two units into one. and later on, three units into one.

There is no such thing as a "corp" unit. You will be able I'm fairly sure combine 3 warriors into one if you really want.

Chances are you still can attach units to support.

If anything it's their UA that would allow early corps/armies.

No, you just seem to be getting the mechanics wrong.

Corps don't work like that. They combine two units into one. and later on, three units into one.

There is no such thing as a "corp" unit. You will be able I'm fairly sure combine 3 warriors into one if you really want.

Chances are you still can attach units to support.

If anything it's their UA that would allow early corps/armies.

Well you can combine 3 warriors into one, but you would need to hang onto those 3 warriors until the ability was unlocked by the right civic.

Top Bottom