First Look: Macedon with Alex the Great

And we thought Persia was geared towards conquering...

(then again, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised Alexander the Great is the most conquering focused of all)

Unique Ability - Hellinistic Fusion: Every time Macedon conquers a city, they get a bonus depending on the districts present in the city.
Unique Unit - Hypaspist: Replaces Swordsman, +5 Strength when besieging a district, larger support bonus.
Unique Building - Basilikoi Paides: (appears to be a Barracks replacement) Gain bonus science when training a non-civilian unit in the city and gives additional bonuses when certain military units are built in the city.
Leader Unique Ability: To the World's End: Macedon has less war weariness, gain the Hetairoi unique unit, replacing the Horseman, which starts with a free promotion.

Last edited:
3rd Hellenic leader (4th if we also count Cleopatra)... Oh well. I guess he'll be one of the leaders it's always "fun" to have around...

Now this is how you do a DLC! I think both Macedon and Persia are great additions, and I am not even a domination player. There is a good balance in each's mechanics without OPing them, unlike Poland, and not being a situational civ, like Australia. Plus, Persia and Alex (although as leader of Greece) are Civ series regulars, so it is good to see them back in the game.

I also kinda love how the animations for Alex and Cyrus portray them both as arrogant and smug-- it makes it easier for me to declare war on them.

Last edited:
Is there really enough of a difference between Greece and Macedon? Especially when we don't have a lot of other unique and different civs?

What I didn't get, is the unique infrastructure an encampment replacement, or an encampment t1 building? :confused:

God, he looks like Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Cannot unsee.

What I didn't get, is the unique infrastructure an encampment replacement, or an encampment t1 building? :confused:
It's a Barracks replacement from what I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
And we thought Persia was geared towards conquering...

(then again, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised Alexander the Great is the most conquering focused of all)

Unique Ability - Hellinistic Fusion: Every time Macedon conquers a city, they get a bonus depending on the districts present in the city.
Unique Unit - Hypaspist: Replaces Swordsman, +5 Strength when besieging a district, larger support bonus.
Unique Building - [Need some help on the name for this one]: (appears to be a Barracks replacement) Gain bonus science when training a non-civilian unit in the city and gives additional bonuses when certain military units are built in the city.
Leader Unique Ability: To the World's End: Macedon has less war weariness, gain the Hetairoi unique unit, replacing the Horseman, which starts with a free promotion.

Some thoughts:

Really like their abilties, gonna have a lot of fun conquering as fast as possible with the reduced war weariness and two classical era unique units, as well as those bonuses. I also really like the touch in the video where, at some point, Xi'an is captured, and when we get the next shot, the city's name has been changed to (you guessed it) Alexandria.

Don't like how he looks though. His sword looks like a plastic thing you'd give to a 5-year-old, and his body in general is out of proportion.

Their symbol is the Vergina Sun or the Macedonian Star, it was the royal symbol of the Argead dynasty.

This is probably the first leader in Civ VI that looks bad, imho. wierd proportions, skin looks plastics and having metal armor straight on your body is something for Disney Hercules.

Oh well.... I've been really against the idea of Macedon being a sole civ ever since I've speculated about the two-pack DLC (together with others here in the forums), but I guess I have to submit and get used to this.

Besides the Holy Roman Empire was in Civ4: BTS and it's appearance in the game is a bit problematic, but I just went along with it. :undecide:

How will this be explained to Greek players? Do you guys think there will be less Greeks playing Civ6 now that Alexander isn't placed in Greece? Or will there be no bother at all, since they label Alex's civ as Macedon and not Macedonia?

Well I guess there's going to be a bunch of debate from Greeks regarding whether this should be its own civ or not...

Either way, now that's what I call a "Conquer the World" type of civ lol. Just keep fighting and fighting forever. Can even gain science through building military units. Sounds pretty fun to play honestly, and I'm not even a domination player normally

Alexander looks a bit off to me somehow though

This is probably the first leader in Civ VI that looks bad, imho. wierd proportions, skin looks plastics and having metal armor straight on your body is something for Disney Hercules.

THATS who he reminds me of! Was in the back of my head somewhere, thanks for helping me out :lol:

Is there really enough of a difference between Greece and Macedon? Especially when we don't have a lot of other unique and different civs?
Greece is mostly aimed towards versatility and culture. Macedon is pure military offensive. In terms of play style they're nowhere near the same

Well she said "building" in the trailer so presumably a Barracks replacement (can't be an Armory exactly)

Don't like how he looks though. His sword looks like a plastic thing you'd give to a 5-year-old, and his body in general is out of proportion.

That is what a Kopis looks like. Maybe the backside doesn't look as sharp? Try 1.32 when he flips it around.

Well she said "building" in the trailer so presumably a Barracks replacement (can't be an Armory exactly)

But then you have to choose between it and the Stable? Perhaps its a third option and doesn't replace anything?

Glad to have Alex back I suppose. I just hope this means they have LOADS more civs planned for expansions and DLCs, because we're still missing some major contenders. Was really hoping for Maya, Korea, Inca, or an African civ to round out the game more. But it could be worse.

Top Bottom