First Look: Macedon with Alex the Great

Unique Building - [Need some help on the name for this one]: (appears to be a Barracks replacement) Gain bonus science when training a non-civilian unit in the city and gives additional bonuses when certain military units are built in the city.

I believe it is basilikoi paides, "pages of the king". These were hostages taken from the Macedonian aristocracy. The building presumably refers to their lodgings, where they would live with the king and be trained up as generals and governors.

It's odd that they clearly don't represent a building, per se, but I guess that's just game mechanics.

But then you have to choose between it and the Stable? Perhaps its a third option and doesn't replace anything?
They said that it provides extra bonuses to "certain units". I wouldn't be surprised if it replaced the Barracks and Stables and put it into one honestly. Either that or it gives bonuses to their two unique units respectively but nothing else. I mean they do have one unique infantry unit and one unique cavalry unit after all; you'd think a unique T1 Encampment building would benefit both of them as well in that case

Unique Ability - Hellinistic Fusion: Every time Macedon conquers a city, they get a bonus depending on the districts present in the city.

Do we have anything more specific? The synergy of all these abilities combined could maybe even give Scythia a run for its money...

I don't generally play domination games but he does look fun to have as an enemy.

For all who saw my post in the anticipation thread saying I would be upset and kind of disappointed if they did Macedon. Well, I stand firmly corrected, this civ looks like a lot of fun and one ill use right away. I love the abilities and synergy of them. Plus, they get two UU. Very impressed and it doesn't hurt I am a warmonger...

I am a little disappointed that we have yet another European leader, but they've done a good job of giving Macedon unique mechanics that clearly favour a different playstyle to Athens or Sparta.

Alexander looks like the conqueror par excellence, but that's totally fitting for the historical figure. Interesting too that they've made him even more of a pretty boy than in Civ V. But it emphasises his youthfulness, and he's clearly a force to be reckoned with.

Now I wonder what the scenario will be: Alex vs. the world, or a Classical Mediterranean-Near East free-for-all?

They said that it provides extra bonuses to "certain units". I wouldn't be surprised if it replaced the Barracks and Stables and put it into one honestly. Either that or it gives bonuses to their two unique units respectively but nothing else. I mean they do have one unique infantry unit and one unique cavalry unit after all; you'd think a unique T1 Encampment building would benefit both of them as well in that case

Seems logical, the fact they have both a unique infantry and cavalry unit was why I thought they wouldnt want to replace one building and not the other, but a single building for both makes sense too.

Unique Ability - Hellinistic Fusion: Every time Macedon conquers a city, they get a bonus depending on the districts present in the city.

Do we have anything more specific? The synergy of all these abilities combined could maybe even give Scythia a run for its money...

I imagine its just a lump sum of science/culture/faith etc based on which of the related districts are built and that it scales with era or perhaps how many buildings are present.

Pella is the capital, no surprise there. I am surprised they didn't go with the Macedonian Phalanx for the UU. It was invented by Phillip, after all.

Well they seemingly get free random eurekas and inspirations when capturing cities. How many and of what kind depending on how many districts the city had and of what types? I guess? Campuses give eurekas and Theater Squares give inspirations presumably but beyond that I don't know. In the video they seemingly get 2 boosts per capture at least

Well they had to leave something to use for Phillip's UU, didn't they? :mischief:
I don't think there will ever be a Phillip II for Macedon, since Spain has a leader by the same name. Maybe a mod, but never an official leader.

I don't think there will ever be a Phillip II for Macedon, since Spain has a leader by the same name. Maybe a mod, but never an official leader.

Is it that outlandish to have more than one leader with the same name though? Sure it might be tricky for however they reference them in the code, but that could easily be done by just calling him Phillip_Macedonia behind the scenes or something, and it would let them have the other Montezuma as a second leader for Aztec and so on.

Just to be clear, I was joking in the first post, but at the same time I don't think its impossible ;)

I would agree, if for some reason we ran out of other viable leaders/civs then sure, but since there are plenty of other choices out there why create the potential issue at all.

Is it that outlandish to have more than one leader with the same name though? Sure it might be tricky for however they reference them in the code, but that could easily be done by just calling him Phillip_Macedonia behind the scenes or something, and it would let them have the other Montezuma as a second leader for Aztec and so on.

Just to be clear, I was joking in the first post, but at the same time I don't think its impossible ;)

If they use the Peter/Pedro example, they could use a more Greek version of Phillip, I suppose.

Sadly, no.

What we do know:

2 inspirations from a city with Holy Site, Theater Square and Aquaduct.
At least 1 eureka from a city with a Campus, an Encampment and an Aquaduct.
1 inspiration from a city with a Holy Site. (note: This was capturing a city which also had a farm, which triggered Feudalism)
Nothing (obviously) from a city without districts.

It appears, to me, that each district (excluding Aquaduct and probably Neighborhood, and maybe Aerodome and Spaceport) grants either a eureka or an inspiration.

Holy Site and Theater Square grant inspirations.
At least one of Campus and Encampment grants eureka.

My best for the others:

Encampment: Eureka (I think it's safe to say Campus is a eureka, which leaves the encampment).
Commercial Hub: Inspiration.
Harbor: Eureka.
Industrial Zone: Eureka.
Entertainment Square: Inspiration.

This would also mean that it's divided 4/4, with Campus, Encampment, Harbor and Industrial Zone granting eurekas and Theater Square, Holy Site, Commercial Hub and Entertainment Square granting inspirations. I could see Harbor and Commercial Hub being the other way around though.

So let me get this straight with Greece vs Macedon

Greece
Pericles - culture focused civ
Gorgo - military focused civ with culture bonus
Macedon - military focused civ with an almagamation of bonuses

Am I right? I've using categories here without the victory focus.

It's kind of sad to me that you Macedon doesn't really benefit from Ancient era warmongering, since you don't get unit spam bonuses until after you get a barracks up, and your enemy has to have enough time to build some districts.

It's kind of sad to me that you Macedon doesn't really benefit from Ancient era warmongering, since you don't get unit spam bonuses until after you get a barracks up, and your enemy has to have enough time to build some districts.

Well, they didn't do any warmongering in the ancient era. They came basically out of nothing and conquered a huge empire.

So, I was kinda right with the colours. Just imagined them the other way around.
They're the same colours as Australia in their first look video. Odds are they will change with release - they are very close to Arabia and Russia.

Top Bottom