[R&F] First Look: Robert the Bruce | Scotland

Green on red is used by the Ottoman Janissaries in Jadwiga's scenario. I'm assuming they would save that for them. Also red on green would have to go to Ethiopia. :mischief:

Why is there so much focus on colours? Only Civ V strongly tied civ colours to national colours - in Civ VI they seem to have started doing more of that (even to the extent of changing Australia's) but many of the colour selections still seem to be more or less chosen at random.

From Ed: Flower of Scotland: Will not attack neighbors unless they break a promise to him. Likes those who do not war with neighbors, dislikes those who do.

Are these leader behaviours linked to agendas a new thing with the expansion? I heard something on one of the streams about each AI now having an 'AI preference', which is hopefully a sign that the civs will be displaying more personality from now on - and hopefully more consistency with their own agendas.

The question is: do we even need the Celts as a civ at all? It is just a blob civ, like the Vikings and the Polynesians. I am glad Civ V got rid of the Vikings, and now Civ VI got rid of the Celts. Hopefully, we will get Hawaii and/or the Maori instead of Polynesia later on. If you want Celts, a Gaul civ would be an option, as well as a semi-blob Briton civ led by Boudicca.

They were never needed in the first place - the Celts are an artifact culture, not a coherent civilisation, and their broad relevance on the scale of a game like Civ is questionable. There's no reason they should ever have been in the game. That hasn't stopped them being in every version since Civ II. My concern is that Scotland doesn't rule out bringing them back - only Civ V even had a strong Scottish component to the city list, so they could come back in fully blobby form with very few changes.

Although I have nothing with the Scottish people and their Celtic heritage I'm kinda dissapointed with this inclusion because it simply means that the odds now for the ancient Celts are small.I want to believe that they will add an exclusive "ancient" Celtic civilization in the game like the Gauls.The Romans feel empty without the Celts.It's like a banquet without a dessert.

Reactions: liv
According to the PCGamesN text article, his agenda is Flower of Scotland. He does not like civs picking on his neighbours, will never do so himself, and will like you if you're not at war with them.

So, the opposite of Chandragrupta

Hmpf. I don't recall being that much underwhelmed by a new civ announcement. Something just feels wrong all the way through, from the UU to the golf course to the civ ability and focus, not to mention the global anachronisms of it all.
This new civ leaves a lot to be desired.

Looks like the devs kind of try to find a way to inject some sense of worth to a secondary mechanic (i.e. effects of some very specific Casus Belli). Not the way to go.
That's exactly my problem with Civ VI - I really like the lineup (thank you for finally giving us Georgia, Kongo, Scotland etc.), but I really don't like the civ designs when it comes to uniques (and sometimes leaders too).

According to the PCGamesN text article, his agenda is Flower of Scotland. He does not like civs picking on his neighbours, will never do so himself, and will like you if you're not at war with them.

I'm a little cynical about that agenda given Teddy "hates people warring on his own continent but does it all the time" Roosevelt and Gandhi "Hates war but constantly joint wars you". God forbid the Cree leaders actually see the AI in action with Poundmaker.

Gold courses that do not provide tourism? .. or maybe they do once that culture bonus is found.
Should they not get additional for being by the seaside?
All unique improvements that provide Culture provide Tourism once Flight is researched, so I guess that’s how this aspect gets covered. Same as all other tile improvements.

War Weariness? Build a gold course to get an extra amenity.

If you do not actively try to liberate, and keep all troops inside your borders, and don't lose any troops, you won't get war weariness.

I'm going to build a great civilization by spamming golf courses around my theatres?

Why not? Both things are a mark of a great civilization. Golf courses aren't exactly cheap, and theatres are considered to be cultured.

Here's my comments about Scotland's abilities/uniques:

Scottish Enlightenment: happy and ecstatic cities receive additional science and production, also receive additional Great Scientist points from Campuses and Great Engineer points from Industrial Zones.

Not terribly interesting, but at least it references the Scottish Enlightenment. Can Scotland match Korea's science? :think: I think I'll like having this ability as Scotland, since I often aim for a Science victory.

Bannockburn: Can declare a War of Liberation after gaining the Defensive Tactics Civic, +100% Production and +2 Movement for the first 10 turns after declaring a War of Liberation

A reference to the Battle of Bannockburn. As others have said, this "war declaration" type of ability isn't that much different from Persia/Australia/etc. To be honest, I've never declared a War of Liberation before...:p I might reconsider if I have allies who lost cities to warmongers.

Highlander: reconnaissance unit which replaces the Ranger, and receives a Combat bonus when fighting in hills and woods.

Scottish regiment link. A stereotypical looking unit for Scotland, but I actually do upgrade my surviving Scouts to Rangers...so they'll be of use to me in my game.

Golf Course: Unique Improvement, provides an amenity as well as Gold, also provides Culture if adjacent to a City Center, and additional culture if adjacent to an Entertainment District.

The weirdest aspect of this Civ to me. Could it be a reference to the current American President? :p....The real origin of Golf is when "Bullroarer" Took knocked Golfimbul the Goblin's head off with a wooden club....:D I'll need to make sure to have some space for these golf courses near my cities and Entertainment Districts (both entertainment complexes and water parks).

Why not? Both things are a mark of a great civilization. Golf courses aren't exactly cheap, and theatres are considered to be cultured.

Theatres, sure, they have a long and distinguished history that has affected many aspects of civilizations. Golf courses? That's as ridiculous as making water parks one of the 10 districts which characterise cities...

I'm happy for Civ to be a bit silly at times, and the cartoonish graphics have never bothered me at all. But some stuff just breaks the immersion that I'm building a great civilization that "stands the test of the time". This is one of them.

I'm quite disappointed, tbh. The Scottish mix is definitely not my cup of tea.

A unique ranger, golf courses, and yet another brunette, goofy looking leader?

And worst of all is, because of this, Byzantium, the Ottomans or the Italian City States didn't make the cut. Underwhelming.

The weirdest aspect of this Civ to me. Could it be a reference to the current American President?

Glad I'm not the only one who see this. Probably a coincidence. I'm actually playing with the Trump civilization mod that has him pictured in front of his golf course. So I instinctively think of him when I see a golf course now.

so I guess
Indeedy, I have some idea how culture and tourism works... but I do not know for sure so I guessed.

Are you advocating two improvements per tile?
Well... they both look the same, although the golf courses have more appeal.

The question is: do we even need the Celts as a civ at all? It is just a blob civ, like the Vikings and the Polynesians. I am glad Civ V got rid of the Vikings, and now Civ VI got rid of the Celts. Hopefully, we will get Hawaii and/or the Maori instead of Polynesia later on. If you want Celts, a Gaul civ would be an option, as well as a semi-blob Briton civ led by Boudicca.
We aren't getting the Celts at all. It is possible that the Gauls might come as a separate Civ. But I'm under the impression this is the Celtic Nation Civ we're getting for this game.

Why is there so much focus on colours? Only Civ V strongly tied civ colours to national colours - in Civ VI they seem to have started doing more of that (even to the extent of changing Australia's) but many of the colour selections still seem to be more or less chosen at random.
There's only a few where the colors seem iffy. I don't think most of them were chosen at random though, even Scotland for example. Australia and Indonesia might have been the most random (Gorgo as well), but now they are being changed. For the Ottomans, Red would be for the current flag of Turkey, and Green would represent Islam which can make since. Plus it would be for some kind of continuity from the scenario into the main game.

Golf courses? That's as ridiculous as making water parks one of the 10 districts which characterise cities...
they made water parks a thing becasue they wanted to focus more on the coast. What would be a better unique than the golf course, some kind of scottish fort? maybe more realistic, but more boring too. rome, china, and granada has unique forts already.

I love it.

But the melodrama in some of the negative posts here is just WTF.

So let's get on with positives:

The golf course seems cheesy but it's cool when they can surprise us.
As someone who doesn't go to war all that often (not once the early game is over anyways) the Liberation ability might not be super relevant, but it will be great when I want to use it.
And the GP points are amazing! I'll definitely be playing them my first weekend with this game, as well as Korea.

Indeedy, I have some idea how culture and tourism works... but I do not know for sure so I guessed.
I am well aware that I’m replying to the CV guide creator, no need to be snarky :) But it makes sense for it to function the same way as other improvements.

Top Bottom