First Look: Spain

I think people overstate the importance of religion for Spain.

If you look at the bonuses it get:
*A nearly universal trade bonus.
*The only known improvement that produce science and it also produce faith both are rare resources.
*Earlier fleets

The religious stuff Spain get are:
*Inquestor can remove one more time.
*Conquistador:Bonus strength and city conversion on capture.
*Combat bonus against different religions.

Spain bonuses make it a strong military civ as well as suited for science victories. Faith can be used to purcase great people which may make Spain dominate culture as well.

Treasure Fleets from other worlds
Large navies
Strong Inquisitors
Conquering Conquistadors who fight better with religious fervor
Anti Heresy

What is this? Warhammer 40K BC?

Did anyone notice that after creating a fleet the Gold per Turn changed from -16,5 to -12,5?
So the upkeep for a fleet is lesser than the upkeep for two single units. This might matter ...

Good eye! Unit maintenance looks like it will be pretty fierce in the later eras. Interesting mechanic if corps/armies also reduce maintenance costs.

This isn't the civ for me, but I love the design and flavor of it!

I think people overstate the importance of religion for Spain.

If you look at the bonuses it get:
*A nearly universal trade bonus.
*The only known improvement that produce science and it also produce faith both are rare resources.
*Earlier fleets

The religious stuff Spain get are:
*Inquestor can remove one more time.
*Conquistador:Bonus strength and city conversion on capture.
*Combat bonus against different religions.

Spain bonuses make it a strong military civ as well as suited for science victories. Faith can be used to purcase great people which may make Spain dominate culture as well.

I noticed that in civ 6 civilizations dont have a specific victory where they are good for.. They are all flexibel which i like.

Remember that you can found and spread a religion to help you win another victory. Religion can be tailored to help you win any victory condition.

Spain will hardly be the Byztantines of Civ VI, their most important parts are not dependent on founding a religion and they still get their bonuses if they use another civs religion.

Not sure I like the look of that; looks like there are way too many continents. Wonder if that can be configured in the options.
I do agree with that. It does look a bit like a classic case of developers loving their own new idea and going way out on it, but we'll have to see it more in action to say for sure.

PS: One of the things I really loathe is that the eureka for finding a new continent triggers when you cross that imaginary line without having even mapped out any of the new land mass. That's just silly.

I'm guessing his agenda still be something to do with not liking anybody following a different religion and/or something to do with religious combat.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing his agenda still be something to do with not liking anybody following a different religion and/or something to do with religious combat.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Maybe they'll again show us the agenda in a livestream... :mischief:

a) Looks like Spain is a renaissance warmonger civ when played by the AI
b) Missions create extra science when adjacent to a campus. It's true its the only improvement so far to generate science. I'm still not impressed by that. There's enough things that give bonus to the campus itself. But we'll see how much science it generates.

All in all, don't get me wrong, Spain looks like an awesome civ, an I'm very much looking forward playing with it / against it.

In my opinion, Spain is well balanced and ready for almost any victory condition (with that extra faith and the right belief you can buy almost anything).

Please don't forget that combat bonus against another religions, that means a military advantage ANYWHERE (land, air or sea), against EVERYBODY (normally, civs have their own religion) and since very early game (just found a religion and...). That is huge. :)

So if a "fleet" is the naval equivalent of a "corps," will there be a naval equivalent of the "army?" Either Navy or Armada comes to mind.

Perhaps something like Squadron is the naval version of a Corp and Fleet is the naval version of an Army?

I don't think it will be that hard to have religion if you really want one, even on Deity. You just start with Holy Site asap, add Shrine, Divine Spark pantheon (if available and needed), another early Holy Site, and finish GP with faith/gold if necessary.

One thing that will matter a lot is AI ability to rush buy great people. If it does that, it might be a problem.

My only gripe was forming a fleet had one ship vanish, would had rather had seen two ships on a single tile but maybe it would had messed with the animation too much.

I think Sumer will be OP. They were OP in real life.

I do agree with that. It does look a bit like a classic case of developers loving their own new idea and going way out on it, but we'll have to see it more in action to say for sure.

PS: One of the things I really loathe is that the eureka for finding a new continent triggers when you cross that imaginary line without having even mapped out any of the new land mass. That's just silly.

Agreed. Also initially people worried America would be OP due to its strength on its own continent and that they would easily bully ant adjacent Civs nearby. Now continents barely seem to have enough space for 2 cities so his ability almost seems worthless if you plan on expanding beyond that. Wars on his continent that don't already involve himself would seem to be rare as well.

Loving what I heard of Spain as a civ, Philip looks very cool too, even with his Moonman-shaped face.

This civ seems very much like Vox Populi's Spain which was one of my favourites to play, so I will be enthusiastic to play it in Civ 6.

Top Bottom