1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First one to circumvent the globe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ronin228, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Ronin228

Ronin228 Chieftain

What's the benefit of this? I never do it, but I always get the message that someone did it and I hear that depressing sound effect like I'm a failure. :blush:

2. Chazumi

Chazumi Trained& Motivated Killer

It gives all your water units a permanent +1 movement bonus. I hate not getting this, right after optics I send 2 caravels in opposite directions just so I can get it. very useful especially after you research the tech that gives another +1 (refrigeration i think)

3. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Its utility can often depend on the map. On pangaea, it's nearly useless (and probably not even possible to achieve). On continents, and fractal, it's very good to have. On archipeligo, it's invaluable. (I'm not sure if it's even possible to achieve it on special maps like lakes, inland sea, highlands, plains, and so on.)

As with any advantage, you have to make use of it to be worthwhile. You need to build some (or several) ships, and send things like missionaries to spread religions, settlers to claim more land, and/or military units for intercontinental invasions.

And the term is "circumnavigate", BTW.

4. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Circumvent
    To go around; bypass: circumvented the city.
    To avoid or get around by artful maneuvering: She planned a way to circumvent all the bureaucratic red tape.

Now the question is : why would you want to bypass the globe? Where else could your civ live?

5. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

You can circumnavigate the globe on pangea, as well as on any map that has a wrap around at the X axis (or Y axis in the case of tilted axis).

6. civn

civn Chieftain

Uh, I don't know, maybe your civ live on Alpha Centauri.

7. TQCincinnatus

TQCincinnatus Chieftain

I've been trying to circumvent the globe for years, but I never can seem to avoid it.

8. salty

salty Prince

Well duh, because the earth sucks. But most people use the euphemism 'gravity'.

9. Esox

Esox In Search of Inspirado

:lol: Best. Thread. Title. Ever.