First online review to hit Friday (rest on Monday)

Give us review!!
:nuke: "Our words are backed by nuclear weapons" :nuke:

Review of AOE3
IGN= (8.8 out of 10)...:dubious:
Gamespot= (8.2 out of 10)...:shakehead

I think their both way too high, I would have given AOE3 a (7.6 out of 10) based on the demo I played.

So I'm waiting for PCGAMER's review of Civ4 for a real rating
(BTW, I've preordered Civ4 so it doesn't matter that much to me, but I am interested where Civ4 will rate in history of strategy games.)

Phoenix_56721 said:
Review of AOE3
IGN= (8.8 out of 10)...:dubious:
Gamespot= (8.2 out of 10)...:shakehead

I think their both way too high, I would have given AOE3 a (7.6 out of 10) based on the demo I played.

So I'm waiting for PCGAMER's review of Civ4 for a real rating
(BTW, I've preordered Civ4 so it doesn't matter that much to me, but I am interested where Civ4 will rate in history of strategy games.)

I find PCGamer to be grossly out of touch.. Gamespot, I find to be really fair.. I think 8.2 is right on for AOE3, having played the final version

I find reviews in general to be only mildly helpful, and only then on games that you're unsure about.. Civ 4 is a no-brainer, especially for anyone on these forums :woohoo:

AOE3 was a huge disappointment, I would NOT have given it over 8.0. 7.5 at the most.

I very rarely read reviews these days since I trust fan forums and other reports more. Better to form an opinion on your own.

Raggamuffin said:
AOE3 was a huge disappointment, I would NOT have given it over 8.0. 7.5 at the most..

:rolleyes: to each his own

I think we can all agree that Civ 4 will both score, and deserve, much higher than 8.8

Raggamuffin said:
since I trust fan forums and other reports more

For a given value of 'trust'. The good thing about forums is that there are so many voices, you can usually pick out the intelligent ones and still have multiple viewpoints. Of course, there's always lots of crap too...

re: AOE III, I wouldn't have rated it that high either... my standard for tactical control of units in RTS is Rise of Nations, and while AOE III is prettier, it's functionally nowhere near as interesting. I can't wait for Rise of Legends next May...

Raggamuffin said:
AOE3 was a huge disappointment, I would NOT have given it over 8.0. 7.5 at the most.

I very rarely read reviews these days since I trust fan forums and other reports more. Better to form an opinion on your own.

Which forum's opinions do you base your trust on though??? Even fan forums have plenty of praise and protest. It really comes down to personal preference. I usually read reviews, get peoples feedback from forums and then make a decision based on the information I've gathered. I.E. Is (a,b,c) of the game worth it to me if I have to give up (x,y,z)?

Tactician Zhao said:
I find PCGamer to be grossly out of touch.. Gamespot, I find to be really fair.. I think 8.2 is right on for AOE3, having played the final version

I find reviews in general to be only mildly helpful, and only then on games that you're unsure about.. Civ 4 is a no-brainer, especially for anyone on these forums :woohoo:
Did you play the Demo of AOE3 first? If you did, is the full version improved? I have to say the AOE2 is one of my favorite games and was very disappointed by AOE3.

There have been only a few reviews in PCGAMER that I really thought were way off (Gore 46% should have been at least 70%)

Phoenix_56721 said:
Did you play the Demo of AOE3 first? If you did, is the full version improved? I have to say the AOE2 is one of my favorite games and was very disappointed by AOE3.

There have been only a few reviews in PCGAMER that I really thought were way off (Gore 46% should have been at least 70%)

I did play the demo, but not to great detail.. I find the release slightly better than the demo, but I wouldn't say it was great by any means..

I am with you on AoK, it is one of my favorite games of all time, and AoE3 is nowhere near it.. the thing that disappoints me most about AOE3 is the complete Eurocentricty of it, which is understandable due to the setting.. but the other games in the AOE series had more variety

Perhaps I have just had bad luck with the PCGamer reviews I have read, I will have to give them another chance

My Predictions for Civ4 Scores from Reviewers :cool:
IGN = 9.5 out of 10
Gamespot = 9.3 out of 10
PCGAMER = 96%
Computer Gaming Monthly = 5/5 stars (BTW, stars suck for rating a game)

(And no I'm not a Beta Tester, Just judging on from what I understand about Civ4)

AOE3 = I had the same expericen with demo and final version: Within 5 min I was falling asleep. Not good. And yes, Ign inflates all major label reviews, as do most of the commercial game review sites. They pick the heck out of smaller titles because the publishers have less econmic sway and are less likley to put out some great title you don't want to be snubbed from. The moral is, don't trust game websites.

On a further tangent this is why getting 'real world' media into game reviews is good, I trust The Onion more than any 'gamer focused' source because I know they will pan the pan-worthy, if Atari snubs them it will mean nothing to their bottom line, not true for the gamer sites.

-drjones

drjones said:
And yes, Ign inflates all major label reviews, as do most of the commercial game review sites. They pick the heck out of smaller titles because the publishers have less econmic sway and are less likley to put out some great title you don't want to be snubbed from. The moral is, don't trust game websites.

I definitely agree on this.. IGN has its head so far up EA's backside its not funny most of the time

JakeCourtney said:
That's great, but it's friday where the damn reviews.

They will write up their review after Just One More Turn........... :thumbsup:

drjones said:
On a further tangent this is why getting 'real world' media into game reviews is good, I trust The Onion more than any 'gamer focused' source because I know they will pan the pan-worthy, if Atari snubs them it will mean nothing to their bottom line, not true for the gamer sites.

-drjones

Very true. These game sites make their money on ads. If EA says we are pulling all our adds from your site cause of a bad review, that site could very well go out of business.

This is the real problem with all modern media. Media is no longer about news, its about profits and therefore you cant trust anything that comes from it because news is always compromised for profit. This easily steps into the territory that now the people who advertise will dictate what is actually reported and you no longer read news, but propaganda.

A very incidious system.

This is the real problem with all modern media. Media is no longer about news, its about profits and therefore you cant trust anything that comes from it because news is always compromised for profit. This easily steps into the territory that now the people who advertise will dictate what is actually reported and you no longer read news, but propaganda.
Yes, if only we could go back to the days when no one cared about profit. When men desired not worldly possessions, but forswore all material wealth for the pure and simple pursuit of the Truth.

oxonian2001 said:
Yes, if only we could go back to the days when no one cared about profit. When men desired not worldly possessions, but forswore all material wealth for the pure and simple pursuit of the Truth.

No, but we're going to get there...

But enough 'bout that. I want my reviews!

I blame those guys in the medievil times that went around selling supposed relics and baubels of holy nature to unsuspecting villagers and farmers for sheer personal profit.

Seriously, some of the acts of members of the church in history are so apauling, and to think they expect us to worship their god. (this isn't a shot at any religion, it's just sad that people in certain positions would abuse their powers when some much trust and faith is put into them.)

edit: changed acts of the church, to acts of MEMBERS of the church.

I just bought my monthly pc game's magazine (translated in english sounds like "Games for My Computer") and I found the Civ4 review! yes it's a REVIEW, they give 9/10 to civ4.
Tomorrow (because now in Italy is 11.40 P.M.) I'll scan the pages for you and I'll try to translate the 6 pages review!
see you!

Weeee 9 is a great score so currently we got 2 reviews with a 10 and 9 out of 10, looking good :)

Top Bottom