1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Peoples of North America - *Updated with Sioux and Iroquois* 10 Civs!"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Wyz_sub10, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

2. TerminalCivness

TerminalCivness Chieftain

This looks like an astounding addition to the Civ gaming experience, however I seem to be having specific difficulties playing the Mod. I am able to download the file, and I am also able to load the file (it says First Peoples11 in the corner of the screen on the main menu). However, when I attempt to play the game I select "Play Now" and I am met with the same array of options as a standard game. I have tried selecting "Play a Scenario" as well but the Mod does not appear. I have looked elsewhere to find a quick tutorial on playing Mods but I haven't found any specific information. Is there something else I have to do after I load the Mod in order to play it? I apologize if this sounds ignorant, I just think that this looks like a lot of fun and I want to give it a try. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

3. Wyz_sub10

You need to clear the cache. Try holding "Shift" when starting Civ4 the first time, then select 'Advanced', etc.

Let me know if that works.

4. TerminalCivness

TerminalCivness Chieftain

I hold down shift as I load the program from the desktop, then proceed to "Advanced", etc to load the mod, yet it does not seem to make any difference. When the program is loading initially it says "Init XML (cached)", and when it reloads to apply the mod it says "Init XML/FirstPeoples11 (uncached)". Is there any other way to clear the cache? Thanks again for your help.

5. Wyz_sub10

You can clear the cache manually by going to \Documents and Settings\[your name]\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache

and deleting all the files in 'cache'.

You also might want to check that everything is in the right place. The mod should be in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\First Peoples\Assets

Under 'Assets', there should be two folders 'Art' and 'XML'. Be sure there isn't another level in there (like 'First Peoples' twices).

6. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Chieftain

Looks like a great mod!

7. tlucky4life

tlucky4life Sachem

Im reskinning some NDN flavor units. currently Im working on a warrior for all and horsearcher that looks Comanche, Apache. Any other changes b sides the boat?

8. Wyz_sub10

I would love to fix the Ni-Mii-Pu War Chief to look more appropriate. Same with the Dog Soldier for the Vo'estaneo'o. Both of these should look more indigenous.

Awesome work on the Mohawk Archer. I'll update these on the weekend.

Let me know if you have time for my Africa mod - I need 3 new re-skins but nothing too complex.

9. Wyz_sub10

NOTE: Update to mod posted on first page.

I'm good for the boat. I was able to do the re-skin I wanted, with the Chinook symbol. If you do the horsearcher, could you use the _128.dds file?

10. tlucky4life

tlucky4life Sachem

yes i can. I was also thinking about a maybe restructer of the tribes also. I would like to represent the difference in the Iroquois, mohawk confederacy and the huron, algonquin tribes of the northwest and great lakes. Also I feal that the comanche should be included in Dinnehih instead of with the dakota. THe comanche were at war almost constantly with the apache but I feal the majority of the NDN power in the Southwest was owned by the comanche.

11. Wyz_sub10

Moving the Comanche over wouldn't be a big problem. As for the Iroquois - one possibility is to add two new civs: the Iroquois Confederacy on it's own and the Sioux Nations on their own, and leave the other Woodland cultures in the Anishnaabek, and Plains cultures in the Vo'estaneo'o.

That would make 10 civs overall and give users the Iroquois and Sioux, which they seem to want.

What do you think?

12. Kurland

Kurland Chieftain

I keep getting Invalid archive error when I try to unzip this mod. Have downloaded it twice. Is there a problem with it at the moment?

13. Wyz_sub10

Hmmmm...there shouldn't be. I just tested it to be sure.

So the file dowloads okay, but then gives you an error when you try to unzip it? What program are you using to unzip it?

ETA: Found the problem - should be fixed.

14. Kurland

Kurland Chieftain

I use winzip and whatever you did fixed it. Works fine now.

15. tlucky4life

tlucky4life Sachem

I concur. I am currently using a crappy old system but I am getting a new one very soon. I would like to maybe make a historical mod involving this with a map of the americas and including european nations. Also am reworking the dog soldier, as a reskin of the immortal. I wish we had the SDK so we could make a NDN musket and rifleman.
    If you need more names for the tribes I sugest adding in clans. This is logical because the clans and or bands controlled areas of land that are similar in siz to counties and cities. In almost all of the tribes the clans, or bands were headed by a chief, council or rep. Tell me if you need more city names.

16. Wyz_sub10

That's what I ended up doing - I split out the Sioux and the Iroquois. The Sioux use division, sub-division and band names. The Iroquois use tribe, sub-tribe and village names.

I'll be ready to post the new version soon but I need one more re-skin for the Sioux mounted brave unit (Brule Warrior).

17. Sgt Froggy

Sgt Froggy Chieftain

Actually, I find the Indian worker one of the best UUs because it never gets obsolete. As for the idea of a Spy, how about a spy that can Assassinate Great People or Workers? I am not sure if it is historically correct, but it'd be cool.

18. tothi76

tothi76 Chieftain

For some reason the list of available civilizations does not fully appear, when I should choose a nation. Some of them from the mod appers and works fine, while few nations are unavailable to choose (for example dakota etc.). Can anyone help me to solve the above problem? Thanks!

19. Wyz_sub10

You should have eight choices (at this time - an update is coming soon):

- Anishnaabek
    - Aniyonega
    - Dinehih
    - Ni-Mii-Pu
    - Piliwni
    - Vo'estaneo'o
    - Tillikum
    - Upaajut

Dakota are not a separate civ. They are represented - at this time - as a city within the Vo'estaneo'o civ.

20. tothi76

tothi76 Chieftain

Thanks for the quick response! So, my problem is that Vo'estaneo'o is not on the list of civs. Obviously this should be a technical problem, but i have no idea this time...Perhaps i should clear the cache? Do you have any suggestion? Thanks again.