1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Peoples of North America - *Updated with Sioux and Iroquois* 10 Civs!"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Wyz_sub10, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

Yes, that was an error on my part (I left it off the CivInfo XML for some reason - all the other components are there). The latest version should have this corrected.

2. tlucky4life

tlucky4life Sachem

Wyz ive just about got the lakota horseman done here is a preview.
    I havent had much time to work on this lately. I will finish it asap.
    I plan to reskin the horse and touch it up b4 release.

Attached Files:

3. Wyz_sub10

Wow, that looks awesome! Check out the Appaloosa horse that's in the mod for the Dog Soldier - that might work.

BTW, I've added Sioux and Iroquois. I have a unit for Iroquois, and I'll use the one you're making now for Sioux.

4. Alcatraz

Alcatraz Chieftain

I have an idea for your codetalkers.

I like using them as a UU but I don't like them as spies because frankly, they weren't. They didn't engage in espionage. Codetalkers were used to encrypt communications and as such made any unit they were attached to more effective.

Rather than a UU, can you assign them a unique national wonder with a very low build cost? Any unit built in that city gets the recon promotion for free (or perhaps another upgrade, although that one seems the most appropriate). This allows them to be relatively powerful but limiting them to the units built in one cities balances that power out somewhat. Make the national wonder obsolete with the discovery of computers -- electronic encryption renders manual cryptography redundant.

5. Wyz_sub10

Good suggestions, thanks. I'll take a look and see what I should do. I realize that espionage wasn't the perfect fit for the codetalkers but I wanted to preserve the spirit of what they did - i.e. information-focused.

I'll see what options are available as you suggest.

6. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Great work! Is there anyway to set up a mod where we get just the first people with no original civs? Or do I just have to set up a custom game to that effect?

It would also be fabulous to play these civs on a North American map!

BTW, I am suffering from the dreaded white flag issue, but after changing the bwhite value to 1 can at least get different solid colors on each flag.

7. Wyz_sub10

The flag issue is usually a result of the alpha channel not being filled black or the flag having a white base (requiring the flag set to '1').

The is a good program - and the name escapes me - that makes editing the alpha channel a snap. I'll get back to you on this.

As for the civs, you can set up a custom game, of course, or you can open the the CivInfo file (in the Mod's XML\Civilizations directory) and set the flags for Playable (both user and AI) from 1 to 0 for the original civs.

BTW - look for an update soon.

8. Barak

Barak Chieftain

When I saw the flags come in all white, I changed the alpha from 0 to 1, so at least the flags are all now different solid colors (which helps to tell them apart).

9. Wyz_sub10

Sounds like the flag dds files are missing or not being found. The solid colours are the ones set for team colours, but the graphics shouldn't be missing.

Painting the alpha layer black should fix this. ("should", of course)

10. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Is that something that I (a n00b) can do?

Also, have you considered using the Map of North America created in the user maps forum? It woudl be fun to play these civs on a North America map in their correct locations...to see how the first peoples could have evolved...

11. Wyz_sub10

Sorry for the late reply...I missed this somehow.

A map of North America would be ideal for this but I'm not much of a scenario designer. I wonder, though, if I should try to put something simple together. Hmmm....let me think on it.

As for the maps, there is a program called DXTBmp (I think...I may be a letter off). If you download and install, you can open the flags and see whether the alpha channel is black or white. If it's white, you just need to clock on the pure white field. It's open it up in whatever photo/pain program you use. You just need to colour it all black, refresh and save.

That sounds like a lot but it's pretty simple. Try finding the app and installing it, and I'll help you from there.

12. Barak

Barak Chieftain

When I changed the bwhite in the .xml file I was able to get colored flags which is fine. Any updates you are planning for the future?

I was albe to set up the mod to use only the First Peoples. Made it fun for them to play against each other. I will try to alter a map to use the mod (although I am no great modder)

13. Wyz_sub10

I was supposed to release a major update on Sunday but family issues intervened. I should be able to release the next update - a major one - either late tonight or late tomorrow.

14. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Looking forward to it!

15. The Swede

The Swede Viking

I downloaded the file: FirstPeoples12
    But I can't play as the Vo'estaneo'o Empire...

Great work btw...

16. Wyz_sub10

Yeah, that's because of a really dumb mistake I made in the XML file. The stuff is there but I accidentally deleted the Vooestaneoo entry in the XML.

I've made some changes to it in the intermi, though. So instead of posting a fix, I'm simply going to post a new version soon.

17. The Swede

The Swede Viking

Ok, looking forward to it!

18. Wyz_sub10

Major Update:

- added Sioux and Iroquois as separate civs
    - updated the Vo'estaneo'o and Anishnaabek accordingly
    - added UU thumbnail pics

See the OP for details.

19. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Looking forward to playing the new version. Any attempt to add a map?

One question though, considering that you used native names for the civs, I am surprised you call them Iroquois not Haudenosaunee.

Keep up the good work!

20. The Swede

The Swede Viking

Great!

Downloading....