1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Peoples of North America - *Updated with Sioux and Iroquois* 10 Civs!"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Wyz_sub10, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

Funny you should mention this as I went back and forth trying to decide what to use. In the end I chose 'Iroquois' simply because several forum users requested Iroquois and I wanted it to be familiar for them.

I mention in both the Civ pedia entry (and Deganawida's entry, I believe) that the Iroquois refer to themselves as "Haudenosaunee". I made the same delibertation with the Ojibwe, using that term instead of "Anishnabe" (although I use "Anishnaabek" for the expanded civ).

2. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Its a fun mod to play. In the last version, I changed it slightly to only include Western Hemisphere civs (8 first people with Inca and Aztec). Will do the same with this version.

3. Wyz_sub10

Maybe we can collaborate on a scenario - get a good map and set something up...? I like the Idea with Aztecs and Incas. Maybe add CivArmy's Caribs and another SAm civ - I think he has a Tupi civ.

4. Alcatraz

Alcatraz Chieftain

On a tangent - Have you read "The Redemption of Christopher Columbus" by Orson Scott Card? That would make an interesting mod/scenario.

5. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Its strange, in the new version, some of the civs flags work great with all the color....others come in all white, and after switching the bwhite setting come in solid color.

Bizarre

6. Wyz_sub10

I'll review the alpha channels for the flags and make the corrections.

7. Barak

Barak Chieftain

I have no skill or experience at MODing, but would be happy to help in any way I can. In some ways I miss the old Civ III editor, where I could easily change maps. In Civ III, I could easily add this mod to a Map of North America, but the XML files are just too much to absorb for me at this point.

8. Wyz_sub10

Sorry for the late reply.

There is a good North Am. map available, but I don't know much about creating scenarios. Maybe just get them all on a map to start...?

9. Barak

Barak Chieftain

What I have done in my games is mod a version with only First Peoples. So if playing on a standard map the 7 civs would be your 10 plus Inca and Aztec.

In Civ III it would have been easy for me to create a North America Map with your civs, but I am not a master of XML code. When I have more time I may take a look and try to make it work.

10. Armed_Maniac

Armed_Maniac Soldati

Okay, sorry i didn't read all pages 'till this one, but i used my search fonction and i was wondering...

There is no mention of the Outaouais, or Pondiac (Pontiac) for that matter. Think he'd be a good addition, seeing his historical acheivement (united the tribes against the english if I remember correctly)

Just an Idea... He was from the Outaouais, which i know nothing about... they probably were part of the Iroquoi or something... Or Algonquins... The region in Québec named Outaouais is adjacent to ontario... So they MIGHT have come from there... anyways, just saying...

11. Wyz_sub10

I did have the Ottawa tribe in the list (they were part of the "Council of Three Fires"), but removed it to prevent confusion with Ottawa, Canada for combined civs.

The Ojibwe and Potawatomi tribes are represented. In retrospect I should have included them with the 'Outaouais' or 'Odaawaa' spellings.

Outaouais strongholds were actually Ontario, Michigan and Oklahoma. The naming for the region (ON/QC) was incidental, but there were related tribes in Quebec..

And you're right - they were related to the Algonquins (hated the Iroquois).

If I add Great Persons for this mod, I will be sure to add Pontiac.

12. Armed_Maniac

Armed_Maniac Soldati

Thanks, i just knew vague info on the subject so... Well... that's it...

13. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

Coming from Arizona and having a father who fancies himself an amature archieologist/ethnologist I have a bit of knowlage about the tribes of the southwest

Dinnehih Empire (Apache, Navajo, Hopi, Taos, Waicuri...)
    Leaders:
    - Cochise (Exp/Org - Nation)
    - Goyathlay (Geronimo) (Agg/Spr - Hered)
    - Hastiin Chi'ihanjinni (Manuelito) (Agg/Cre - Rep)
    Unique Unit: Code Talker (replaces spy)
    Flag: Navajo nation

Firstly the Apache were an ethnicaly and linguisticaly very different group, they migrated into the 4 corners area very recently (just before Euro Contact). They came from southern canada if I remember correctly and their language was very different from that of the more settled tribes. Their agressive warlike nature was radicaly different as well (causing them to be hated by just about all their neibhors).

Navajo's are today the largest tribe by population, I belive something like 15% of ALL remaining native americans are Navajo. Their reservation is HUGE, larger then many states. When other tribes were seeing their reservations taken away the Navajo were sussesfully negotiating for theirs to be enlarged. This ability to negotiate well with whites set the Navajo apart from many other tribes are is a major reason for their success.

The Hopi are also a large tribe and are related to the Navajo though their not on very friendly terms. Both are desended from the Anasazi cliff dwelling peoples. Contray to popular opinion the Anasazi didn't "Vanish" their culture just gradualy evolved into a new one over the course of a thousand years.

Given the great prominence of the Navajo tribe it might be prudent the just call this Civ the Navajo Empire, I am shure you would be able to find many place names for Cities. Their capital would have to be "Canyon de Chelly" (sp?), this the Navajo "Eden" ware they belive they were created. I is infact a real canyon still populated to this day.

14. PW90

PW90 Chieftain

Great Modpack :goodjob:
    Could I use some of your Civs for my own Mod

15. Wyz_sub10

16. Barak

Barak Chieftain

Is the mod compatible with 1.61?

17. Wyz_sub10

The Apache are Na'Dene people - they are related to the Dene in northern Canada, sub-Arctic region. I agree that they are quite different than other groups, but I took a regional perspective to be more inclusive. Think of it as a "what if" scenario based on economic cooperation and mutual defence.

I thought about naming all civs after the most prominent tribe. But, as above, the point was to be inclusive and to create regional "confederacies" *(if you will) as a plausible setup to consolidating power.

18. Wyz_sub10

No, I need to update my mods this week. It's been a very, very busy couple of weeks.

19. Mozza

Mozza Chieftain

This Mod made me late for work this morning

20. goodyhut

goodyhut Chieftain

I am a total newb to mods so I may be doing something wrong but when I select First Peoples from the load a mod list the game restarts and starts loading, then 3 different XML Erors pop up and the game starts normaly but how do I then find the new civilizations to play them?

I tried starting a regular game but don't see the new civilizations on the list.