First Post patch game impressions game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MadRat, Dec 15, 2010.

1. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Standard - prince (lowered difficulty to test)
    Multicontinent - Player England

1) Good:AI CS seems better at defending themselves
    2) Good: Diplomacy and summary now show other than hostile states and tooltips nicely explain the issue
    3) Good: More happiness from buildings as expected - circuses cheaper to build.
    4) Good: Plains combat isnt a complete rout any more
    5) Good: havent seen any pikemen/tanks in wrong ages

6) Bad: AI is still dumb ass for colonizing even good areas next to its capital
    7) Bad: AI still biocthes about you colonizing next to it when it either plops down the city or you are no where near (3500 BC)

8) Ugly: Much harder to make deals neutral AIs wont even consider fair deals without some UI asshattery. Seems prices have dropped in favour of the AI.

9) Good: AI lost its open borders fetishes. When it has it it no longer spams you with scouts and wandering idiots.

That's it so far. I haven't seen a navy yet.

rat

2. Gomer_Pyle

Gomer_Pyle Prince

Totally crap patch. Everyone is mega friendly and even when friendly they denounce you. LOL. What a piece of garbage. Last Civilization game ever for me.

3. mva5580

mva5580 Warlord

Your name suits you.

Moderator Action: Please don't insult other members.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

4. LuCypher73

LuCypher73 Chieftain

Started game aztec. New diplomacy does seem to draw some lines of conflict quicker. Greece denounced me just outta the blue but thats ok cause then i didnt feel so bad about killing there settler. New tradition tree better suits my minimalist playstyle and I for one am excited to work thru it and see how it pans out. Yall should try not to be so negative there are other games to play if this dont work out for ya it aint no thing. Hell cataclysms out for wow i think wish I could afford to reopen my account been like a year since I wasted time on that game

5. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: And the uncivil, rude posts will stop now. Discuss the content of the and the topic, or don't post at all.

6. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

This sounds good to me. It was ridiculous before how much gold you could milk AIs for in trade, for stuff they didn't even need (luxuries when they were already at a large happiness value, excess strategic resources, open borders they didn't need).

7. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

I'm a bit disappointed in the gameplay. First off Persia declared war for no apparent reason and sent one swordsman and then a few minutes after I'd taken that out all too easily it sent one pikeman.....as if a weaker unit on it's own might stand more chance!

Then Siam appeared all friendly and asked me to declare war on America. I said wait 10 turns and they said great and then a few turns later they show up saying that they're denouncing me!

I built the new wonders they added and there were no pics after I'd finished building them....anyone else notice that?

First impressions are a bit of a letdown. Kinda miss all the mods I used in my old version....I hope the modders get to work quick updating their mods because I won't be playing the game much without them!

8. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

yeah what little bit ive been able to play so far i founded a city and france told me to not found cities in territory they feel is theirs, only problem was i wasent even close to them, oh well.

9. kungming2

kungming2 Chieftain

I believe they're national wonders, which never have had a nice big picture.

10. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

you cant use the mods in the new version?!

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Ok, I am going to see for myself I will be back with updates.

12. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I'm hateing the tooltip that keeps telling me the AI is concerned I'm trying to win the game the same way as them! I guess its not the tooltip but the idea behind it I dislike. Also they say I've made trade demands and settling demands but I KNOW I haven't. Don't get it.

13. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

no wonder the ai was so damn stupid before. they didnt fix the ai, they just showed you why they act the way they do. lol

14. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

I give up! France decides to build a city right next to me with the only resource being fish! They complain about me settling close to them and then Russia denounces me?

It makes no freakin sense!

15. blind biker

blind biker King

Question to those who finished (and won) a game with the new patch: what happens when you win? Just a popup as before?

16. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Sounds like a load of fun.

I am a bit annoyed at the fact that denouncement / friendship declarations replaced pacts of secrecy / cooperation instead of complementing them.

17. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

I'm at work at the moment, but this is sounding disappointing. I think I'll put my time into exploring the Incursion 1.0.1 patch, which was also released today.

See you in space.

18. LuCypher73

LuCypher73 Chieftain

I played some more of my aztec game. king/epic/pangea. Greece went gaurded afteri killed there settler then turned hostile. then they settled my spot and I had my first post patch attempt to take a city. It did in fact take several turns longer than usual kind of a pain but not too much. I feel like I have to be a lil stronger now tho to establish a hold on my initial area. I was also pleased to find that floating gardens gets the hammer the windmills get. Seems like a pretty decent building to me even without a lake ( which i stopped worrying about after spending an hour trying to get aztec to start with one i gave up)

19. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

Yes. I loaded an old save near the end that I hadn't finished and in addition to finding this out I also had some funny glitches:

I was missing a prereq SP in Tradition for an SP I already had (I lost the prereq), I had to rebuild Cristo Redentor and Sydney Opera House (both existed in the previous cities as well, so I had 2 - dono if I got 2x benefits, though I'm pretty sure that's why I lost the Tradition SP).

Also, I had like 20 denunciations in the first 2 turns post load, with 20 more or so in the next 15 turns to finish (only 10 of 12 civs including myself were still in the game).

Very weird stuff.

20. Casta

Casta Chieftain

Started a continents, epic game.

New dimplomacy seems much better, I made sort of an alliance with 3 other civs. What I mean is that we each declared eachother friends and denounced the same civs. I tried asking my firends to go to war with one of the civs we had denounced and they all agreed to do so in 10 turns.

I have never had this happen before patch.