First Settings

Surf Wax America

Scrotal Inspector
I think the first settings should be easy, as in chieftain, small world. To get used to it, you know?

Easy, yes.

Small world, I'm not so sure that is good. Not a huge world but something with a little liebensraum. Maybe a few less civs than normal for the size map chosen. This will give us a better chance to survive!

Picking the civ we play in Civ III GOTMs is more consequential than it is in the Civ II GOTMs. How about a quick poll to decide who we play first?

Hmm, will there be a GOTM for Civ3 in November?

I'm thinking a medium map, the one with 8 civs as the default. I'll play on the setting with no cheats either way. I want to beat the computers as their equal.

I see Rochester is ready for a Civ III GOTM!:goodjob:

Let's get right into it! Go for a deity game-somebody's got to be first. And all can laugh mightily at my puny score.

Not Diety, please! I get killed half the time in the Civ II GOTMs. :eek:

Hello again! I'm back from a week holiday in Norway where I visited my girlfriend, who I haven't seen in 7 weeks. So if anyone asks how it was, you can imagine I had a wonderful time! :yeah:
But now back on topic.

My vote would be prince, because that's the standard difficulty. It's standard i.m.o. because the AI doesn't cheat at prince.

And I think we are all smart enough to play at prince. After all, we're fanatics :D.
Good luck, donsig. ;)

I believe Thunderfall was thinking about a Deity game as well.

I cast my puny vote for turning off civ-specific units and abilities.

From a gaming point of view, I prefer a level playing field: everyone should start off the same. And I prefer my civ to develop in a way determined by me, not according to wired-in special abilities.

From a historical point of view, it's ridiculous to imagine that any primitive tribe in 4000 BC was already preprogrammed with the unique ability to make super-tanks (or whatever) thousands of years down the line.

If such things can be made, it should be possible for any civ to make them. Alternatively, turn 'em all off. That what I'm reckoning to do in my own games.

I'm not sure if I'm completely familiar with the GOTM concept, but if we all choose the same settings I vote for Standard Size (100x100), World Map, Standard Rules and Prince or King Difficulty Level (We're all fanatics, but it wasn't a cakewalk to beat Civ II on Deity and we knew all of the tricks) Also, I think we should have Civ Specific Abilities on because it sounds like a fun new feature.

I vote for Deity. Then it will be a question of not who wins, but who survives the longest, and that sounds interesting. Yeah, Diety and 16 civs! It is a good month to die.

Sure, start with a diety game. :crazyeyes I'm feeling suicidal, how about everyone else? :D :D :D

One modification: Every hundred years we survive past, say, 1200ad, we get an extra 100 points to our score!

Prince, Standard World, 8 Civs, Roaming Bands (barbs), and ALL CSA/U's on.

Play deity on your own time you morons :crazyeyes: We'll get three submissions if you try it on a GOTM :p

I dont plan on ever playing below prince level, that goes for this GOTM too.
Seriously they said Cheiftan was even easier in civ3 than in civ2.
Deity may scare off too many people though, but i know what my first game will be.;)
And for gods sake lets play this game like it was meant to, with all
civ-specific stuff etc. ON.

I'm a grizzled Civ2 veteran, but as a newbie to GOTM, and of course like everyone here new to Civ 3, I'd argue for a more simple straightforward setting for the GOTM, one that lets us learn the game (including the CSA/U's!) chatting with each other, without dying our first night playing it and having to wait a month for the next GOTM. A fellow fanatic who pre-reviewed the game last week got creamed on Chieftan (though I tried it last night and, possibly 'cause there happens to be no other civ real close to me, was fine). On Civ2 I always play on Diety, but now the AI isn't so stupid, and besides we could use the breathing room to learn the new intracicies of the game. Plus it will be more fun the more people we get playing, and I'm hearing that lots of us won't bother if it's almost guaranteed to be quickly suicidal. :rolleyes:

Mo vote is for chieftan or warlord, but let's leave in the civ-specific stuff.

Top Bottom