1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First settlement location?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game Revival: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Mar 15, 2009.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

OK, we know where we are in the world.

This spot isn't bad, but it isn't especially inspiring either. We could find out a lot by having our workers climb the mountain and report back what they see, though that would delay the start of their work project.

What do you all think?

2. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

i'm good for the city where we started. it has an amazing balance of food, gold, and shields.

3. civplayah

civplayah fronter

Yep! Tara will rule:)

4. whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon Does anybody really know?

I'm for settlin' right here

5. heliogabalus

heliogabalus Chieftain

I heartily disagree, sir! :nono: Our starting location could be better if it had three cows, two wheat and a luxury or two, but as far as starting locations without specialty go, this one is awesome! I posted about it in the Creation Day thread. In my opinion, the city of Tara should be founded without delay and the worker moved NW to start mining the bonus grassland adjacent to the river.

Then we'll jump into our hammocks and let the working classes sort it out ;)

6. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

it also has fresh water. fresh water is king. with this spot, we can get a six-turner by simply mining and working the two bonus grasslands, which would make us rulers of the world.

7. DaveShack

I'm talking more the RPG sense and not the game sense. In that respect, pretty much any resource would be more inspiring.

I agree, for a non-resource location it's pretty good. Not the best (a hill center square would be even better) but nothing to cry about. :)

In past games, sometimes we did wander till a cow or wheat showed up. Just leaving the option open. ;)

8. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chieftain

I can see DaveShack's point. The location does seem to lack.. character.

Still, the citizens are tired of rocks! We demand hovels! Settle!

9. heliogabalus

heliogabalus Chieftain

So I guess this is where we discuss...

Wow, that's an awesome start! We have

3 bonus grasslands
    1 grassland
    1 grassland (as far as I see no bonus?) with hut
    2 forests (on grassland)
    1 mountain

in our immediate eight-square surroundings. We are standing on a bonus grassland adjacent to a river. There is no need to discuss any movement before founding, I think.

We could move the worker up the mountain N of our starting position to see some more before we found. That would entail the loss of one worker's turn. I would advise against it.

Where do we want to start the operation "Hibernia Improvement"? I am a lowly Regent player who has just recently upped the difficulty to Monarch, so please take my ideas with a grain of salt. I would move the worker onto the bonus grassland NW and in the next turn start mining there. There is no real reason why I would begin on that and not on one of the other bonus grasslands W or SW. Well, I think using the bonus grass NW would give us one additional commerce since it is adjacent to the river.

Now I'll have a look in the turnchat :) Ok, I was afraid to find everything I just wrote already there. So let's get the game on, people of Hibernia!

10. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I see no coastline, I see no better spot within 1 move. I say settle where we stand.

11. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Aye, this place is as good as any and I'm tired of carrying the governor's rock around. Let's settle here.

12. DaveShack

As the people seem to be united in their desire to settle in this fine location, it does not seem necessary to have a poll. We can certainly have one if there is any (as-yet unspoken) dissent.

13. malaywarrior

malaywarrior Chieftain

good pt.. not that great but not that bad either.. lets settle!
    i go for working the tiles right away..let the warrior do the exploration later. =)

(shouldnt our civ be renamed as Hibernia instead of Celts in the game? jw)

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Lets plop right here

15. Darkwish

Darkwish Chieftain

"My feet hurt."
    "Are we there yet?"
    "I have to go to the ba-a-a-throom"

"Enough! Don't make me stop this Settler right now, and come back there!"