First time with the Huns.

CrimsonEdge

Warlord
Playing my fourth game so far and I'm on the middle difficulty (2 below Deity) and going for a domination win. So far so easy, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how powerful this civ is in the early and late game.

First thing I did was settle my starting city and put 4 hammers into a warrior. The reason for this is because I want a superior military force for early expansion via barbs. I figure that the 2-3 turns it nets me, I'll have an army up before any civ has bronze working.

And it worked. I had 4 cities, my capital, 2 barb, and another the chinese capital in about 12 turns. Once I captured a city I put it on to two hammers and produced quick warriors. 3 turns for a warrior and a close enemy can get you a real crazy advantage.

I continued to expand and explore, taking over every barb city I saw (so far I've taken over some 7-9 barb cities) while finding other civs as well. French to my North and Greeks to my East. Oh boy.

I noticed that the greeks were pinned in by a mountain and decided to attack them first. I was teching for Keshiks at the time when the French decided to give me an ultimatum. "Give us your tech or die!" Right :lol:. My, at the time, 5 Warrior armies and 3-4 archer armies in my front cities didn't really care.

So he attacked me and I ignored the Greeks. I pinned them in by using two 'extra' warriors. By the time I had teched up to Keshiks I had taken over one of Frances other cities. He cried, I laughed. "PEACE, PEACE!" No peace for you!

By this time I met the Americans who were to the east of my newly captured city. Fun. I had researched catapults and had begun my advance on the French Capitol. I noticed that they had heavily fortified archers in their capital so I put some horses one square away from their city. This ensured that if they brought anything out, they would die.

I did some more exploring and found two more barbarian cities, one to the north east of the French capital and another to the north west. I captured both and soon found out that the French had impressive culture as my north east town was converted. No matter. I'd take out the French soon enough.

I had also found 2 more barbs on islands and founded another city south of my capital that has Whales, Wheat, and Wine (I know, all W's, crazy). This was my research and gold town. My production town was my conquered french town. The rest were churning out units every few turns.

Around this time, for whatever reason, I got a Great Person - one that converted an enemies city! Lucky me, it was the American city that was about 4-5 squares to the east of my french city. Awesome, I'm going to win no problem.

After a bit, I attacked with my catapult armies and found out that their walls were simply too much for my catapults so I backed off and built some spies. I sent the spies up to the enemy city and RIGHT before my spies got to their capital...

MY GAME FROZE!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What the duece? I was JUST about to go to the Modern Age and JUST finished researching tanks and was about 5 turns away from building Leonardo's Workshop! GAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I could have won that even if it was Deity!

Oh well, I'll give an update to my game tommorow when I finish it up.

Well, I finished the game up. Won four turns after I entered the modern age. Turned out the last save was during the age before modern so I had a bit of the game to replay. I didn't own the closest American town nor did I have the two Barbarian towns by the French Capital.

This time around I went straight for the Americans, using spies to take out the defenses and allowing my catapults easy victories. I decided that I was going to rush to tanks and, while doing it, mass out knights for the eventual Leonardo's Workshop. After I had taken out the Americans I had everything researched for Combustion and started it. All of those really bad Barbarian towns were starting to pay off by having superior beakers (all were by about 5 water tiles). Each town had about 45-50 beakers and I played on that.

One of the American cities happened to be surrounded by forests and has great production so I decided to build my Workshop there. About 4 turns later I had combustion. Another 6 turns I had a horde of tanks.

I stormed Paris with my tanks and sacked it in a turn. I then turned on the Greeks, who decided to threaten me at this point for some reason, and took them out about 8 turns later.

Glorious victory.

The graph at the end showed some very surprising stuff. My bar took up about half the screen for about half the game, and all of it at the very end. I had taken every single barbarian city and captured all but two cities (both were french cities on islands).

I'm very surprised at how powerful the early game is for the huns. While those starting cities are very weak, they turn into incredible research/gold cities allowing you to go for a domination, science, or economic victory. The starting cities are also great for building up early armies. Keshiks armies make for some incredible harassment and expansion units.

I found that while I may have sub-par cities, the sheer early game production power allows you to take over another players capital city in the first 10 turns. The mid game is lacking, however, those sub-par cities turn in to real power houses in the end game.

no offensive, but that would never happen in diety. good job though.

no offensive, but that would never happen in diety. good job though.

What, having an two armies up before the chinese had archers or the fact that I had over half the map before we were out of the Ancient Age?

Because once you have 8 cities and each of your opponents only has 1-2, there's not much they can really do regardless of the difficulty.

diety civs get archers in about the year 3000. to make an army of warriors it takes you 8 turns, meaning you have very limited time to actually do anything other then barbarian hunt. fortified archer>warrior army

diety civs get archers in about the year 3000. to make an army of warriors it takes you 8 turns, meaning you have very limited time to actually do anything other then barbarian hunt. fortified archer>warrior army

Right. What you aren't understanding is that it only takes 2-3 turns to get an army of warriors up with The Mongols due to the fact that you have 2-3 barbarian cities in about 10 turns. My production is simply better than what deity is able to do.

I've reproduced this on Deity right before the 2.42 firmware update bricked my PS3. Instead of having it by 2500, I had it by 2000 BC.

it would take a lot of armies to actually do anything.....maybe if they were legion....

Top Bottom