First World country defends death penalty for drugs; people cheer

Smoking isn't cool like it used to be, though.

If you smoke these days people are far more likely to look at you as if you're nuts. Young and old alike.

Even smokers think it's nuts to smoke.

It really is fiercely bad for you. Also expensive and inconvenient.

That is not why it is taxed to hell.
Those govs don't care about your health, they just find it awesome to rob even more money from the poorest groups - and heavy smokers tend to be working class people.

In this case the PMMA was thought to be a meth/mdma blend. In a pressed hybrid pill you probably aren't getting more than a super strong dose of what you could get in a prescription bottle. Yes, prescription meth exists. You might getting less than a maximum dose. In other words, assuming any purity, the meth levels of a hybrid pill for a one off are safe.

Well, yeah. We basically give it(roundabouts) to our school boys en masse! It has uses and therapeutic levels, depending, right? Increases focus, makes repetitive tasks less boring, keeps you from dozing off, etc. Really is the most "American zeitgeist" drug I can think of. Yet, recreational-sized doses of meth have pretty nasty dependence-forming negatives when compared with other typically recreational substances.

It's actually proven that increasing the price of cigarettes is an effective way to get people to stop buying them and an effective way to curb addiction.

But I mean, yeah, that doesn't necessarily mean that the government cares about your health either.

It can also lead to black market forming, when there would be none.

Well, yeah. We basically give it(roundabouts) to our school boys en masse! It has uses and therapeutic levels, depending, right? Increases focus, makes repetitive tasks less boring, keeps you from dozing off, etc. Really is the most "American zeitgeist" drug I can think of. Yet, recreational-sized doses of meth have pretty nasty dependence-forming negatives when compared with other typically recreational substances.

I don't know anything about smoking meth, which I hear is the preferred delivery for people who are trying to "do meth". Ditto for injecting, etc. I did read once of a doctor who had a self medicating patient trying to focus on the job by smoking 500mg of meth a day. Holy Jesus. The doctor said he switched him to 20mg of regular, prescription amphetamine and that worked better.

I think there's two very different recreation modalities of meth between "doing meth" and "my club drug had meth in it". The former being much larger quantities but also a more acute, euphoric high, and the ladder being smaller quantities to keep you "up" and attentive to the party around you so you don't realize you bought cheap ecstasy. (Some people also prefer the mix because they're just trying to kick it, not go to teddy bear laser space. As someone prescribed ADHD medication, I would say just drink some coffee with your molly, don't support dodgy club drugs).

So yeah, 40mg of non-pharma grade meth is definitely more harmful than the 80 mg of MDMA you might find in the same cut pill. But since the desire for MDMA is driving the experience, and very few people are doing MDMA at a rate more than twice a month (let alone once every two years), the meth is going to be insubstantial and non-habit forming.

It can also lead to black market forming, when there would be none.

It's probably easier and more cost efficient for the black market to focus on the sale of things like marijuana, and I think most people wouldn't buy from a shady guy on the corner just to save a couple bucks on a carton of smokes.

But yeah, either way black market cigarette sales happen everywhere, it seems, just on a very small scale.

Off-topic for off-topic. I'm so happy that Sophie Løhde is saying this because she's heinous in so many other topics for me personally. Coming from some recent new policies in Denmark, it pleases me to recall that Venstre is still very much against capital punishment.

What does the Minister for Health say?

She's one of the people that spout thinly-veiled liberal (eh the Danish conception of liberal) moralisms in newspapers and have supported several such claims when they showed up from other people. Arguing for liberal (again Danish) reforms based on moral systems rather than the concrete state of things which has been hurtful for several people in the later years. It doesn't matter much for this thread however and it's probably left-leaning for foreigners so I'm not interested in derailing the thread further.

Also to be fair she has done some (arguably) good stuff too, particularly about medicine prices, which has some contentious side effects, but might drive down prices so yay. Again, I won't list it. This thread is not about an (internationally) obscure Danish politician.

We needn't make this forum even more Unitedstates-o-centric than it already is.

Let us all wear chainmail, quaff ale and brandish large axes in the way appropriate to honour our revered founder.

Thunderfall is a Viking city, not an American city

But Thunderfall himself, as well as most of the staff, are American. And as far as I know, the domain is registered in the US. That makes this a decidedly American site, even if a significant portion of the member base is non-American.

I doubt that the OT actual posting people are by now by majority in the US ;) They likely are more numerous than other groups, ie about as many as the combined euro group, but not a majority by themselves.

Civ is a franchise which has basically run its circle. I don't even recall the last time we had more than 2-3 new OT posters around.

What does the Minister for Health say?

If you're asking about Singapore's Ministry of Health, I don't think they have anything other than the standard "All recreational drugs are bad, mmkay?" stuff. Obviously, nothing the Health Ministry says really explains why the death penalty is needed.

I don't even recall the last time we had more than 2-3 new OT posters around.
That's interesting. We've gained that many times over in the past year. I wonder what makes you not notice?

High taxation is the last item, if at all.

Smoking didn't go out of favor because of the government taxing it, the government was all for smoking (tax revenue) until it started paying medical bills ... in my opinion it was a social phenomenon that I can't explain. In the 40's, 50's, and early 60's smoking was cool, then in the late 60's the cool people turned against it while adopting the drug culture. Smoking a cigarette was uncool, lighting up a joint was cool

This joke (?) from the era sums it up

A girl's boyfriend is invited to her family's dinner, at the end of the dinner the father asked 'Do you mind if I smoke?'

The boyfriend replied 'Do you mind if I f_rt?'

It wasn't just a rebellion against smoking, it was also (mainly?) a rebellion against authority.

If you're asking about Singapore's Ministry of Health, I don't think they have anything other than the standard "All recreational drugs are bad, mmkay?" stuff. Obviously, nothing the Health Ministry says really explains why the death penalty is needed.
Although I was really asking about the Danish minister, this is an interesting post. What does get you executed, exactly? Owning the drugs? Selling them? Smoking them? Being within a 50-metre radius?

Top Bottom