first world problem question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Dushku, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Dushku

Dushku Prince

My first game on Immortal and things are happening at a pace that I might as well be playing on the lowest difficulty. Namely I'm surrounded by city states as Germany, almost all of which I've met first. My first ruin was an upgrade from my Warrior to a Spearman and the second one gave me Archery for free. Once I hit 200 gold, I bought an Archer so I could clear camps. I clear my first camp and get a free Brute (German UA). Another camp spawns next turn like 4 tiles away, which I clear two turns after the first, and get a free Archer. With this little platoon, I'm able to tribute EVERY city state I've met, allowing me to buy a Worker and I'm off to the races.

Sounds great right? It is! But there's an unseen cost. It's not long at all before I hit the unit ceiling. Right when I'm trying to build Settlers and don't want to deal with ANY hit to production. I'm also opening with Honor, so I'm notified of new camps as they're spawning. So what do you do? Do you gift excess units away until you can settle your other cities and increase your unit cap?

That's my first instinct. However, it's so early in the game that the rep I'd get is literally useless. Unless you consider that the quicker their rep is repaired, the sooner I can re-tribute them (nobody seems to be offering these guys protection). The problem/question is: If I gift a city state units, won't those literally be added to their army, making them harder to tribute again? I have two Scouts, one of which has upgraded to an Archer if this changes your answer at all.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You could just scrap the units. You get a bit of gold and save maintenance.

3. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Obvious answer to your problem is to look to what happened in the past..... go to war against neighboring civs and grab cities in good locations to relieve yourself of maintenance costs. You get rid of excess units and gain territory.

Speed is of need though, ancient era units can capture str 26 cities but is difficult.

4. BurnBabyBurn

BurnBabyBurn Warlord

If you're playing Immortal as Germany and have recruited that many Barbs and the conditions are ideal to attack an AI Civ, do it. Otherwise move them to your territory and disband the undesirables or gift them to a CS. Adopting honor and using Germany and then recruiting a buttload of units means you really need to stop worrying about ceilings and settlers and start burning cities as fast as humanly possible. Otherwise I assume if you were Continents or another type of start you would not start Honor right off.

I usually can polish the game in Immortal by the Medieval(before it but I'm the runaway by then) Axemen upgrade into Knights. So you really have a no brainer here and the city happiness policy is essential(that means one of the tenets provide +1 happiness per military unit garrisoned inside) again perfect to keep an oversized army. You can afford 10-40% loss of production for a bit. So long as you're pumping out more cities(buy a settler with the extra gold) or raise a few cities to get more gold and buy settlers instead of building them. Then after you steal their workers use them to chop the difference in the ceiling cap. You really cannot lose on Immortal if you use a few Ranged and Mounted. AI gets really confused and starts offering you half it's cities really fast. Good Luck and Have fun!

5. Dushku

Dushku Prince

Wow, I'm speechless. You know, I stepped up to Immortal to better learn how to dominate and play Honor. One of my problems as a Civ 5 player is that I learn a "rule" and then I adhere to it dogmatically. Like if I just don't build a Settler, my cap can continue to grow, which will raise my unit cap. As will using that early army to just take another city.

I feel like a kid on xmas eve. Like by playing peacefully for so long, I've been missing out on more than half the fun of Civ 5.

6. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Same here. The recent bloodbaths (on Immortal) have opened things up for me. Turtle games go quicker but Domination games are far more dynamic. Need to be played in bite size chunks though, even a few dozen turns of late game war can take long

If you're recording, please provide a link, I'd like to see it

7. docbud

docbud Emperor

^^I've lot to see it too.

8. Dushku

Dushku Prince

The dynamic nature is what's throwing me the most. I get all the concepts for the most part (I think). But knowing when to shift gears is counter-intuitive to me. I'm LOVING the challenge though :D

Regarding recording: Because of the dynamic nature, I think if I were to record this, I'd want to release it in smaller chunks. If somebody had a full game released in ~hour long chunks vs twice as many videos half as long, would one be preferable to the other? Or would you say that as long as the game is interesting and engaging, such specifics aren't relevant?

9. stormtrooper412

If it were up to me, 30-45 minutes in the most I can watch in a single take, and I'm assuming your sessions should take as long otherwise you might get tired and start making stupid mistakes.

The easiest way to know when to shift gears is to go overkill, bring everything up to 11 and hope nothing remains by the time you're done :)

10. docbud

docbud Emperor

Smaller chunks are okay with me. I'd actually prefer shorter ones, but that's me.

11. Popedesu

Popedesu Chieftain

Smaller chunks are better ~30-45 minutes in length is plenty of time, I've watched some of your videos and they are long and I usually tab out half way through then watch the other half later.

12. Dushku

Dushku Prince

This is what I assumed people who prefer shorter segments would do. My main concern is having cluttered playlists. However, as stormtrooper412 pointed out, longer sessions increases the chances of mistakes. Since I like putting on a good show, perhaps I'll try to make shorter segments.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I probably will release this game :)

13. stormtrooper412

Nice. If it's not a hassle, keep the turn0 save so I can have a go. Your maps are absolutely wonderful to play with

14. FrostK

FrostK Prince

I dont think u should care much about 10-20% of production in game beginning - just finish settler and settle city.
    But if you have really too much units doing nothing: present units only to CS you allied/going to be ally soon - otherwise just disband, disband archer units first (they cost same maintenance but their strength in terms of tribute is poor)

15. Dushku

Dushku Prince

Okay, guys, I've released the first ~40 turns here. Please offer any feedback on things you'd do differently.

Here's a preview of what you can see in the video: image link

@stormtrooper412: I'd be happy to share the save: Here it is. Feel free to jump ahead so I can have some idea of how to progress ;)

16. stormtrooper412

Ugh, that's indeed a piss starting location. But the third one down south is great. It should be your main production city in the future. Make sure to max out the UB potential, it can get silly and can add more than 10 hammers per turn in late game.

In my opinion, the most fun way to play Germany is to assemble and unite the troops until the rise of the Third Reich, then just get super powered Blitzkrieg Panzers and level the map, so the styles might be different. Thanks for the save :)

17. Dushku

Dushku Prince

What do you think of this?
    Spoiler :
    A is where I was planning on settling. B would be further from my empire, lose Marble, mountain, and Kailish, but gain coast, desert Stone, and Horses. Also, it would lead to +1 plains river farm/-1 flood plains river farm. Is this a worthwhile tradeoff to have a port city? Or should I not care since Venice will be an easy target whenever I please and be a port city on the same coast?

18. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Uh well, I'd settle the city on Hex B and then settle other city to take advantage of marble+Faith generation natural wonder. The second city would be directly next to the faith mountain.. The eastern Hex on forested hill where one nex north of it is bare plains hill. Super Defensive spot easily. Can buy the hexs to grab the marble and work it with tributes from bullying city states fast.

Why choose when you can try to have both XD

19. stormtrooper412

Sorry if it's late, I'd go the forest hill SW of tile A, you easily get all the goodies. You're gonna need early hammers and there's plenty of them in the 1st ring. Since other cities are inland, you won't really be able to use Cargos to feed it to ludicrous size