1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix Airships: the Poll

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Dida, Oct 19, 2007.

?

How woud you like to fix the airship?

1. Fine as it is, no change

40 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Remove the airship completely

24 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Reduce price, and make it a scouting unit only

59 vote(s)
    41.5%
  4. Keep current ability, but reduce range to 4

19 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Dida

Dida YHWH

as stated in topic

2. Party

Party Warlord

I say fine as is but I am more then willing to accept a drop in attack.

3. Dida

Dida YHWH

forget to include an option where damage from airship is capped at 10% or something like that, to simulate reduced morale but w/o serious damage.

4. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Push it back to combustion or remove it completely.

5. 0R4NG3

0R4NG3 Prince

I like it the way it is, gives me a good advantage against the AI.

6. Dennis_Moore

Dennis_Moore Unholy Roman

Stupid Airships!

7. peter450

peter450 Prince

I think a push back to combustion, + a 50% evasion chance, so fighters dont totally obsolete them

8. Dida

Dida YHWH

I don't see how airships can have higher evasion chance than a fighter.

9. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

Push it to steam power or combustion. That's all it needs. Well, I wouldn't cry if scouting only option was implemented.

10. Nickzilla

Nickzilla Chieftain

I quite like the idea of it being a scout so I voted for that. In second place is 'just dont change it'.

11. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

What a crappy poll..... None of the options fit what I want, and you didn't put an "other" option in.

Push it back to combustion or steam power...... it's stupid being where it is in the tech tree, because they have no way of powering them.

Either that or let us shoot them down somehow, with an early counter. Either a new unit, or an interception upgrade for an existing unit.

12. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

The airship is a nuisance and completely anachronistic and overpowered. Airships were never of any military importance in real history. Remove it!

13. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Add the biplane as a counter unit.

Biplane: range 4, strength 6, interception rate 30% (low because they're slow and often could not reach the height of the airship).

The problem is that fighters come with flight and thus biplanes should come before flight which is rather weird. Various units could be moved to different technologies of course.

14. Party

Party Warlord

Or just add another technology between flight and advanced flight to enable fighter.

15. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

I my last game my opponent protected his macemen and longbowmen with airships. It's just plain stupid.

16. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

My main problem with the airship is that it has too much range, PARTICULARLY regards recon missions over the seas. Twelve-tile vision range (and getting subs, too) is just too much when combined with 8-tile airship range. Even on huge maps, which I use.

Perhaps I will reduce airship range to 4 or 6.

17. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

i think airship was designed to attack ships since wooden fleets and iron clad cant reach the airship in the sky. The only way to make this work is only allow airship to strike naval units only. The current tech is fine maybe also require chemistry and physics. But if push forward to combustion, this would destroy the purpose as wooden fleets can become destroyers.

18. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

But good range is a sort of signature trait for airships. They are supposed to go far. I guess one could make them have range of 4 initially and 8 when Combustion is discovered, but that's unnecessarily complicated.

19. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

I don't think the airship was thought out at all. It comes far earlier than any unit able to counter it, has range surpassing that of a fighter and equal to that of a bomber, and deals air strike damage far greater than what would be considered reasonable either in terms of historical accuracy or game balance.

It's just not a good addition to the game, and I wouldn't miss it if it were removed entirely.

20. weasel77066

weasel77066 Prince

Maybe treat airboats like a siege weapon? "expend" the unit to do damaage, then it has whatever chances to retreat? instead of a typical bomb run.

Same range, same power and bonuses, just add some more promotions