Fix AT Squads

Tacgnol

Warlord
So I'm not a fan of featuring such a niche unit as an anti tank infantry as one of so few in the modern combat game, I'd rather see it be at least like a Tank Destroyer but it is a needed role.

However I for one can't stand the look of them. I mean it's a guy with a bazooka. How often were bazookas used as a serious weapon. Not only that, this is the most common barbarian for much of the modern and atomic era, it's the iconic unit of rebels and freedom fighters everywhere, how many revolutions were there where the people used bazookas?

The easiest fix, no need to change the unit, change the look of them...its already a guy with an explosive projectile launcher, just make it an RPG and be done with it...then barbarians and rebels get an authentic 'third world fighters with RPGs' look, and everyone's units look better, maybe in history RPGs weren't used quite as much in specifically WWII as anti tank launchers but in the Cold War and modern day they are a way more prominent weapon. For extra points change the name to RPG squad.

Also, this is IMO a more serious issue, AT Squads are available too early, in most of my games I get them available while the rest of my units are Knights, Pikemen, Musketmen and Crossbows, maybe Field Cannons. This kind of nullifies the strength of Knights later on and makes Cavalry all but useless, it also leads to a ridiculous situation, as my army follows behind 1 or 2 anti tank units that are somehow ages ahead of the rest of the military. Put them on Flight, or put them on Electricity and put Submarines on Radio, better yet add a new tech because there really aren't enough late game, just do something to stop AT squad rush being such an easy strategy.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    14 KB · Views: 210
It's early because Chemistry can be beelined. Not that you would often do it, but from Education, you can literally research just 4 techs and then have Chemistry and AT units. You can in theory get the tech before mining. And the fact that the tech also gives you a science building means it will tend to come earlier in paths that you choose. But yeah, if you even just put it on a new tech that required all of chemistry, replaceable parts, and steel, then it wouldn't be nearly as useful.

You can try installing a mod that forces civs to research most of the techs in an era before being able to progress. This stops the unimmersive beelining at least.

Top Bottom