1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Fix-It List

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by alamo, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Mr. Stainless

Mr. Stainless Chieftain

Hello.

I put Civ4 to my new laptop, that meets the real minimum. I started to update, and it was succesful, until i started game. This popped up:

So... what's the solution?

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Retired Moderator

3. Geowil

Geowil Chieftain

I recently reinstalled Civ 4 because I bought Colonization and am getting the Failure to Initialize Render error.

The first run, when the settings are on full screen + 800x640 resolution the game runs fines, but as soon as i change the res to 1920x1080 it starts flaking out unless it is in window mode.

I have the Steam version of the game, so the 1.52 patch is already there and is not fixing the problem.

System Specs:

Q6600 OC'ed to 3.6 Ghz
    4 GB Ram
    Vista Ult. 32-bit
    Radeon HD 4870X2
    DirectX 10.1

I have not tried setting the resolution to a lower setting yet, but I think that might be a temporary fix.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Already tried all the previously mentioned workarounds on the OP, none of them worked.

This happens on all versions of Civ 4 (original-Colonization).

EDIT:

The game works on full screen at resolution 1440x900, it craps out any higher then that. I am beginning to think it is a limitation of the renderer. I have no issues playing other games at my max resolution (1920x1200), just the Civ 4 series.

4. sherisdoppel

sherisdoppel Chieftain

How I recently bought the complete edition on Steam and am having trouble playing over the internet on multiplayer.

When I try to log in, the screen freezes with sound and mouse cursor still moving.
    It also happened when I registered my account. (It somehow registered it).
    But the screen doesn't freeze when I get my password wrong when trying to log-in.

I really would love to play this game with other people but it just doesn't work.
    Anyone can help?

5. ori

@all: Welcome to CFC :band:
    also do contact Steam about this as well.

@Geowil: please post your dxdiag results file. Did you update directx? link is in the post above yours.

@sherisdoppel: you might get more help in the civ4 multiplayer subforum. Is your firewall allowing the game to connect to the internet?

6. sherisdoppel

sherisdoppel Chieftain

I do not have such software turned on either on router or my PC.

7. ori

if I recall correctly you may need to open a specific port on the router for the game to use, but I am not actually using MP, so that is just remembering some post in the distant past, as I said: post in the MP subforum, it might be an easy fix :dunno:

8. j56003

j56003 Chieftain

I have installed the game 2 times after downloading it off of B2B. There apears to be no problems with the installation, but when I click on the icon to launch it, I get a message that says that it cannot find MSVCR71.dll. I am not really sure what that is or what to do about it, can anyone help?

9. Geowil

Geowil Chieftain

DxDiag is attached, and my DX is the latest version, no updates in Windows Update.

Attached Files:

10. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Master of the Pan Flute

@Geowil

I had the same problem last week, after installing the April XP updates and restarting my machine. Not sure if it was the updates ir restart that caused my issues.

'Fixed' it by making sure my Colonization graphic settings were the same as my Civ settings. (BTW, I am only running at 1280x1024 so ymmv)

11. Zaxdabomb

Zaxdabomb Chieftain

hello all!

here's my problem;
    well, two of them actually,

1) Whenever I play Civ4 I play WorldMap18civs on the RoM mod with revolutions turned on. It always works fine, until I get past about 400ad or so and the game closes itself, and tells me this helpful message:

"A problem has caused Sid Meier's Civilisation 4 to stop working, Windows will close
    the programme and notify you if a solution is available"

It never does give me any solution of any kind of course, but as you can imagine, it's IMMENSLY frustrating to have to keep restarting the game, reloading the mod etc. Perhaps any of you tech heads could help? It just always cuts my games short and I'm well sick of it now.

2) This problem is basically the same and does it under all the same conditions, except instead of that handy other phrase, I get:

"Memory allocation failed"

that's it, then it just abandons me! If I seem stupid to you and the problem and solution is obvious then please go easy on me! I needed your help before to install RoM for God's sake!

Thanks for the help.....

12. protoman_daniel

protoman_daniel Chieftain

I successfully installed Civilization IV but I couldn't launch it as it said: "The procedure entry point _BinkShouldSkip@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library binkw32.dll." How can I deal with this?

13. Jalael

Jalael Chieftain

When I load Civ IV with my microsoft lifecam connected it automatically selects it as the microphone and turns the camera on. Is there a way to disable this? I've checked under audio and video and do not see a way..

14. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

Played many games on my XP system with similar setting and only encountered this seemingly in-game glitch once. Wondering if anyone else has seen this:

1989 A.D., 9 active Civs. Everyone has researched full tree. Joao and Louis (plus two vassals each) are in Armageddon war with Megastacks, mostly tearing up what's left of Egypt, Mongolia and an extinct area of once-Spanish cities. I'm Bismarck, and I'm 3rd on the score list and on the opposite side of the world from this big fight. Nukes are banned. No Spaceships or Cultural victories. I hit End-of-Turn. The "Waiting for Other Civilizations" message plays indefinitely. I let it go for an hour once. On the previous turn, with same war situation, it maybe ran for about 30 seconds. This is apparently not a corrupt save file issue because if I bribe Joao to make peace, everything continues as normal. Except that my neighbor, Zara, rolls me with Megastacks in a surprise attack in about five turns. My guess is that if I can get he and I to join the same side of the big war, I won't actually need to fight at all and can keep building up my military while he sends his toward his opposite border and may even take some damage. So I'd really like to avoid ending the big war.

Anyone else ever see anything like this or know a fix? Am I right in thinking it's just megastack warfare computations that are overloading my PC?

15. ori

Such eternal interturns are often some kind of code gliltch were the code enters a never ending loop - its unlikely to be an actual computation that takes forever.
    Do you have a save of this?

16. Augie

Augie Chieftain

Hi, I'm a Newbie. I just purchased Civ IV - Complete. After installing the software and the updates, I still get the message that the game wants the CD loaded in the drive. I thought patch 319 eliminated this need (so I read in the Forums). Is there some other setting/patch I need to remove this requirement. Otherwise, I'm dumping this game.

Thanks,

Augie

17. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

What version of complete do you have? Disc or download? With or without Colonisation? Did you use the in-game update to patch to 3.19? If so that is broken and doesn't do the update even though it says it does. If you have the disc version try downloading the patch from the downloads section of this forum and install it outside of the game. If you have Vista or W7 run the patch by right clicking on the patch and choosing run as administrator.

18. Augie

Augie Chieftain

Thanks for the come-back. The install was from a Disc (purchased at Amazon). The package is Civ IV Complete (has Warlords and Beyond the Sword). The upgrade was done from the in-game update option. The update went successful. Civ IV is at ver 174, Warlords at ver 213, Beyond the Sword at ver 319.

You think downloading patch 319 from the site and re-installing it will do the trick?

Thanks,

Aug

19. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

It says it is sucessful but it lies, unless you can check in-game in Advanced>About this build, just try downloading from here and re-installing.

20. Augie

Augie Chieftain

Well, I downloaded the 3.19 patch from this site and installed as Administrator. It seems to fix BTS, as I can now run it without the CD. However, Civ IV and Warlords still request the CD be loaded. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Aug