1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix the Minimap: Hide Borders Over Water Tiles

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Xefjord, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Xefjord

Xefjord Chieftain

I think everyone knows what I am talking about here, in that when you play Civ 6 (Especially on a TSL Earth Map) the minimap is downright useless and visually unappealing. Lots of people complain about the UI for Civ 6 compared to past games, and honestly. I don't care about anything else UI related; but I do care about Maps and having a legible minimap. You can't tell if that blob of a country is actually an entire landmass in the ocean? Or if it is just a tiny archipelago with connected borders. In NO normal maps of the world do people really mark their ocean holdings (Unless you are China but you don't want to imitate them). Political maps just show their land territory and boundaries.

Lots of people hate how absolutely horrific the maps are in Civ 6. And it really doesn't need to be as bad as it is. Its a really easy fix yo. Just make borders/territory holdings not show up on water tiles on the minimap. This is meant to be a place to discuss how much you hate the current minimap, how much you would like this fix, and posting your ugly minimap gore and petitioning Firaxis for a better minimap. I tried to see if there was any other posts on this topic? I think everyone talks about it but I couldn't find any specific posts dedicated to it. Either way, we should never let their mistake be forgotten until it is fixed!

2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Three key issues:

1. Water territory shouldn't display (agreed).
    2. Don't use fog of war (makes usability noticeably worse, doesn't add any benefit as far as I can tell).
    3. Shrink city indicating squares (with so many cities in Civ VI, they clutter the map fairly severely).

Arent11, Depravo and Uberfrog like this.
  3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

At the very least they should make it toggle-able between Land Borders and Full Borders. Sometimes it's nice to be able to see at a glance which waterways are blocked by a civ's borders, but I don't want it to display constantly.

Also, I miss the full screen map. In older versions, you could press M (i think) and get the mini map on the full screen. I guess they got rid of that when they added the zoom-in and -out features, but it wouldn't hurt to add it back in.

I really like maps. I miss the Civ 5 loading screens with the civ's historical map in the background.

SammyKhalifa and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  4. Kryxal

Kryxal Chieftain

Making a "secondary zoom factor" toggle would do nicely for that. One setting for your usual work, another for when you want an overview, and neither needs to be the minimap. It would be good for pinning down new barb encampments along with lenses.

5. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

I miss being able to pull back into space and view the globe with borders on a la Civ IV. That would be my fix to all of this.

Kjimmet, nzcamel, Duuk and 2 others like this.
  6. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Me too. Why did they get rid of that? :confused:

7. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

It would also be useful to be able to re-centre the minimap. It's annoying when the area of most interest is split By the break in the map.

8. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

I've found I no longer bother to look at the mini-map. I make it as small as possible and ignore it.

Just being able to pull back further on the regular (or strategic) map would do the trick. (I think someone did a mod for this . . . need to check)

9. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

Treng if you find that mod please let me know. It was one of the coolest little extras from Civ IV that I miss.

10. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I'd just kill for a map mod that removes the "parchment" unexplored (it blends too much with the fog of war).

Of course, my whining about the color schemes of this game are well documented.

11. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

The problem is more with the colour-drained rendition of territory that has been explored but is not observed. Most terrain types look alike, so even though you have explored a tile, you have to mouse over it to remind yourself if it is desert, or snow, or what. I'm sure this came from the art department and not any playtesting. I have just seen a mod that imports Civ V-style cloud (unexplored) and shadowed (unobserved) renditions into Civ VI, which should improve matters no end. It's called Alternative Fog of War - Civ V Clouds on Steam Workshop.

Duuk likes this.