[FIXED] CS does not improve resource tiles

chrin67

Empereur
Bonjour,
It seems that the CS do not build new workers if needed.
In the screenshots below the CS never repaired the gold mine pillaged at the beginning of the game, nor improved the oil tile at the end of the game.
Unfortunately it was one of my allies!

CS1.jpg

CS2.jpg

This happened to me too. It is really frustrating because I need some of those resources, but I can't get them. I don't think it was a problem before the patch, so it is my guess that it broke when things were fixed. I have also noticed that tiles that can be improved on water tiles will be improved. The problem may lie in the fact that City-States don't build worker units, as I have seen none coming from them.

OK recurring bug here - I'm playing alexander and city states keep only building military units. they never build a worker to exploit their resources, thus never gifting them to me. the goes on the WHOLE game - never a single CS worker. you cant gift workers to them, and you cant get your own workers to work their territory for them. I think this only occurs when you start with renaissance or later starts. The diplomacy screen shows that the resources are nearby, but they are never worked by the CS and thus never available. really sort of defeats the point of playing as alexander . . . A quick google reveals i'm not the only one with the problem, but as yet I've seen no solutions.

Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?

ISSUE: AI players do not seem to be using workers effectively to improve tiles around their cities. This seems to apply to both AI Civilizations and City States. Similar Threads: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=405576, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408939

GAME SETTINGS: Civilization - English, Map - Random (Pangaea), Size - Standard (8 players, 16 City States), Difficulty - Prince, Game Pace - Standard.

SAVE FILES: Turn 1 - View attachment Turn 1.Civ5Save, Turn 170-something - View attachment AI Not Improving Land.Civ5Save

GAME INFO: Purchased game from Steam, version 1.0.1.221 (March 28th update).

DLC: Mesopotamia map pack; Mongolia, Babylon, Inca, Spanish and Polynesia Civs.

-

As can be seen from the following screenshots, land around each Civ's capital in this game remain mostly unimproved at the time of capture.

Cusco.jpg Mecca.jpg Delhi.jpg Madrid.jpg Thebes.jpg Beijing.jpg

The only exception seems to be Isabella and her cities which have pastures, mines, roads, etc. The major difference between the Spanish Civ and the others in this game seemed to be that she went down the Honor social policy tree while the others mainly stuck with Tradition and/or Liberty, although, I've seen this issue occur with Civs that went with Honor in other games.

For the most part, each Civ had very few towns and military units. For instance, Pachicutti had only his capital, 1 worker, and about 5 military units (warriors/archers) at the time of capture. Wu Zetian, the last Civ I conquered, had only 3 cities, 2 warriors and 1 Chu Ko Nu by turn 169.

-

This issue has been occurring since the most recent patch, can affect any of the AI Civs and City States, regardless of policy choices or starting locations, and can happen in any game (although it seems to be less prevalent on Archipelago maps where barbarians are less of a threat to the AI). According to this thread, as well, a Great General stationed in the capital may be preventing the city from producing workers.

I've posted this issue on the 2K forums as well. I couldn't find a similar post on either this forum or the 2K one, so I hope I'm not spamming. In any event, I would greatly appreciate confirmation from others about this bug, whether they've experienced it or not.

Thanks for reading. If you need any further information, please let me know.

-

TL;DR: AI isn't improving tiles and it's breaking the game.

I've built workers while my city had a great general in it. You just have to move it that turn.

I've seen the same thing happen before while playing on prince. Once I moved up to higher difficulties I haven't seen it. This seems to be a post patch thing primarily, at from what I've seen on the boards

Once I moved up to higher difficulties I haven't seen it.

Experiencing the issue on King difficulty, as well (pardon the white squares, Print Screen tends to do that):
Madrid - King Difficulty.jpg

Interestingly, Isabella was the only one that went with Honor and she's the one that ended up with this problem. Everyone else that I met (Siamese, Egyptian, Iroquois) had gone with Liberty and were improving their tiles normally. :crazyeye:

Tried it again on Deity level and the AI was improving tiles as they should be. Apparently, when the AI starts out with 2 workers, they actually use them.

Read your post, thanks for sharing. I'm glad others have identified and confirmed this issue as well. I'm guessing you've experienced this issue with other Civs, not just City States, as well?

After playing a modded game I put together, I discovered a few things related to this thread's issue. After "spying" on the other Civs using Giant Death Robots, I found that their workers were moving strangely. For example:

Polynesian worker starts in a city here -> Polynesian worker 1.jpg, moves two tiles south -> Polynesian worker 2.jpg, then moves back into the city again.

Repeat this pattern for about thirty turns and you can see what I'm trying to get at, here. I'm not sure if the presence of a giant, killer robot had anything to do with it, but let's just say for the sake of argument that it didn't.

-

I also noticed in this modded game that the reason some of the Civs didn't have many workers was that they were focusing more on buildings than improving their tiles. For instance, Catherine had no workers until AFTER she had built the Great Lighthouse, not unlike Kamehameha who had no workers until AFTER he built the Great Wall.

Now, I'm not the best Civ player in the world, but even I know about the importance of improvements. You'd think the AI would create even one worker before taking on such big projects!

-

Anyway, those are just more insights into this issue. Again, I'm not an expert on "buggy" matters, so take what I've said with a grain of salt. Thanks again for reading.

Thanks for posting :).
These are indeed valuable insights. It shows, that the AI is partially working, but it hangs somewhere, it's re-evaluating something in between too often and does not take whatever result into account later.

Let's say the GDR was the reason (just as an example):
- Worker decides: Uuuh, that tile should get improved, best choice here.
- After arriving: Uuuh, danger, a GDR, move back to city
- In the city: Uuuh, that tile should get improved.
- After arriving: A GDR, back to the city!
- In the city: That tile...

I think you get me.
That insight is valuable because the programmers now don't have to go through the whole code, but only through parts of it, that should speed the thing a bit up (doesn't mean that it will be fast, can still need lots of time, depending on the error).

Top Bottom