[FIXED] Patch 1.0.0.62 - Minor bug. Problem waking skipped unit.

PieceOfMind

Drill IV Defender
Retired Moderator
I'm not going to bother uploading a gamesave because this is very easy to reproduce.

1. Take any unit that has movement points remaining and tell it to 'do nothing'. This can be done by pressing spacebar.
2. Select the unit again, and you will see that there is a button to 'wake' the unit. Press it.

3. The panel does not update, and you can't tell the unit to fortify or sleep. To update the panel and have those commands appear, you have to left click on the unit again, which should be unnecessary.

Also something to mention:
Notice that it says you can press 'F' to wake the unit. If you press 'F', it actually does the opposite and puts the unit to sleep (which is what F usually does).

To put it all briefly, the 'wake unit' button does not work properly for a unit that has been told previously to skip the turn.

Can anyone else confirm it?

Yes, I confirm all your observations. It also seems to me that the Do Nothing (Space Key) command works differently than in prior versions. Pressing the Space key used to (I think) cause the unit to lose all its MPs for that turn. That doesn't happen in Civ 5. Now, pressing the space key just means that the focus won't return to that unit, but you can still choose to move it. Pressing the W (Wait) key temporarily skips the unit's turn, but the focus will return before the turn ends.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

Yes, I confirm all your observations. It also seems to me that the Do Nothing (Space Key) command works differently than in prior versions. Pressing the Space key used to (I think) cause the unit to lose all its MPs for that turn. That doesn't happen in Civ 5. Now, pressing the space key just means that the focus won't return to that unit, but you can still choose to move it. Pressing the W (Wait) key temporarily skips the unit's turn, but the focus will return before the turn ends.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

I can tell you that spacebar or 'do nothing' did not use up movement points in civ4. This is good design, by the way. Telling a unit to do nothing should be a reversible command. In both civ4 and civ5 it amounts to 'I don't want an order this turn'.

I can't remember about civs 1 to 3 however, so maybe that is what you're describing.

Thanks for confirming too. I'm certain other people have spotted it and commented, but I don't think there's been a bug report about it yet.

Actually, I was remembering how the spacebar works in Alpha Centauri!

I can tell you that spacebar or 'do nothing' did not use up movement points in civ4. This is good design, by the way. Telling a unit to do nothing should be a reversible command. In both civ4 and civ5 it amounts to 'I don't want an order this turn'.

I can't remember about civs 1 to 3 however, so maybe that is what you're describing.

Thanks for confirming too. I'm certain other people have spotted it and commented, but I don't think there's been a bug report about it yet.

In Civ 1 & 2, Spacebar "wait" was irreversible, so you'd either "w" through units to cycle until you were sure, or sac the opportunity. I also don't remember about 3, because it was very different in a lot of ways from every other edition of the series. If it were important, I'd load it up and check... but, nahhh.

Top Bottom