1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[FIXED] Possible minor tile bug -> invisible river

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by dukester, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dukester

dukester Chieftain

Hi all,

This is my first post here. Love the community.

Look at the screenshot. Is this a bug? How can this tile count as a river?

Attached Files:

2. Starfury

Starfury Chieftain

Because there is a river that you don't see in this mode.

Switch to strategic view and you'll see a river going to the northwest of Thebes. (the corridor of provinces getting 1 gold)

3. dukester

dukester Chieftain

You are right. Wow.
    Don't you think it's affecting gameplay (for example planning the expansion) if you can't see a really long river on the max zoom in?
    Are we supposed to go back and forth between views just to see where all the rivers are?

Otherwise, I love the new game and what they've done with it, apart from a few technical issues which I hope will be resolved in patches.
    Thanks for clearing this out for me.

4. Starfury

Starfury Chieftain

Yes, it's clearly a bug that has to be fixed.

Why do you think I instantly knew what was happening in your case? I was wondering why my warrior couldn't walk two hexes to the left of my starting city despite there being grassland, noticed the invisible river and then came to this forum searching for "river" and found your thread :D

5. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

I had no idea about invisible terrain features like this. Is it only rivers behaving this way or has anyone had other terrain features act like this? Rivers seem the most susceptible, but who knows.

6. SuperSmurf

SuperSmurf Chieftain

Same for me.

Attached Files:

7. draaibaar

draaibaar Warlord

The rivers are ashamed cause they are painted so bad.

8. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

9. eewallace

eewallace King

I've generated probably a dozen random maps while playing so far, and the last two (generated after the patch was installed) have a problem. I noticed that some of my units that should have been able to move two squares were only able to move one square, and I moused over the terrain to try to find the problem It turned out that they had crossed invisible rivers! I'm not sure if this is a problem that was created by the new patch, but I certainly never noticed it earlier.

10. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

11. eewallace

eewallace King

Yeah, sounds like the same bug. I didn't save the maps that had this glitch, so I can't check the strategic view to see if they are visible there. I'll generate some more maps and try to find it again.

12. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato First Tomato Emperor

Many times I've seen missing railroads... which you can see in this picture.

However, what's even worse is that there's apparently a missing river! I never knew there was a river there this whole game until I was able to make a Hydro Plant! And if you look at the picture (the highlighted tile is the one NE of the worker), the river extends all the way from my Siamese city to the ocean.. none of the tiles show a river.

Attached Files:

13. Platin

Platin Chieftain

This just happened to me as well. Providing another save.

Attached Files:

14. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

A save would be good.... But its been reported already HERE

(in fact, I'll merge the threads).

15. SuperSmurf

SuperSmurf Chieftain

I am getting used to working with the strategic map for easier barb camp finding, and I noticed the missing rivers are present in that view. Can anyone verify this ?

16. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

That was pretty cool what you just did. I was scratching my head for a minute.. "how on Earth can he see what can't be seen?" :lol: I should have just read your paranthesis.

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Invisible River Bug:

Playing my latest game with Alexander on Deity. Noticed that there's apparently an invisible river next to my capital, flowing north-west to the coast. You can see that the tiles along the invisible river produce an extra +1 commerce, as well as stating that there is a river there when moused over. Additionally, moving units back and forth confirms that there is a movement penalty across this invisible river. So there's all the signs of a river being there, except it isn't displayed on the map. ;)

Perhaps it's an issue with there being multiple other rivers nearby, so the game has got confused with how to display it? Not sure.

Spoiler Picture :

Moderator Action: Threads merged. The_J

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

It has been suggested that the invisible river bug is caused by the terrain being drawn before the start location "beautification" (which can add river) is finished. IMO that sounds the most plausible explanation.

It was a similar problem in civ4 when some desert river tiles were not flood plains.

19. atteSmythe

atteSmythe Warlord

In the attached game, there is a river between Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok that shows up on the strategic map, but not the standard map.
    Moderator Action: Threads merged. The_J

Attached Files:

20. atteSmythe

atteSmythe Warlord

Ah, man, I even did a (apparently poor!) search before posting - thanks for the merge.

Edit: from some of these examples, this appears to happen when a river has two 'mouths.' I'll have to look for a river with two sources, though I think I recall those are ok