[FIXED] Siam bonus not working at all (with savegame)

Arksa

Warlord
When you are friends/ally with a maritime/cultural city state as Siam empire, when contacting a city state it shows the regular values you would get without the added bonus of Siam. The mechanic isn't broken, but would be nice to have the bonus shown on city state screen.

I've noticed that the siamese civ bonus "Father governs Children" is not working at all.

I have 4 maritime city state allies right now, each of them state that they are giving +5 food to my capital and +3 food to all other cities. (I am in the modern age). Now this +5/+3 is the normal rate for the modern era (in fact I believe it's been +5/+3 since the renaissance era). Other civilizations get this rate as well.

As I thought it was extremely unlikely that an entire civilization (especially one with such an incredibly powerful bonus) was overlooked in a game with such high production values, I thought this may be a display bug. In fact there is another bug report floating around in this forum saying it is a display bug. So I looked at the food levels in my cities...

In most of my cities, the food gained on the center city squares is around 12-14 (depending on the base tile). My capital is at 23. Now the +5 from 4 city states add up to +20, and the +50% siam bonus would bring it up to +30 for the capital. So the bonus obviously isn't working at all.

Same deal with the cultural city states - I just discovered a new one, donated gold to become an ally, and it gave me +20 culture per turn (which is the normal rate - further proven by the fact that it's not even a multiple of 3). My culture per turn also went up by +20 instead of +30.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something? Attached a lategame siamese save file to help identify the problem.

Attachments

• zxc.Civ5Save
    583.6 KB · Views: 192
I was about to post a new thread on this bug when i saw this. I'm terribly disappointed with civ 5.
This is proof there is almost no testing at all before release.

EDIT: Errr... bug confirmed? i reproduced this thing myself

confirmed

loaded the save, force unchecked all tiles - city center gave 23, where it should have been 33. Also checked that it is not just a display error - you can see that from the screenshots.

Noting more to say really other than: seriously?!? no one noticed that during beta?

Attachments

• CivBug6.jpg
    CivBug6.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 326
  • CivBug7.jpg
    CivBug7.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 270
In my game as Siam it was only a display bug. I'll try to post a savegame later. First I thought it wasn't working because the city-state said "+4 culture" when it should have been +6. However in the culture overview (the popup when you mouse over the culture counter) it correctly said "+6 from city-states".

Maybe there are two bugs - sometimes it just doesn't display correctly, sometimes it doesn't work?

€: Ok, I thought I had it figured out, but I was wrong. In the attached savegame you'll notice that I am Allies with Florence and Geneva. Both city-state screens state that I get +12 culture when it should be +18. When you mouse over the culture counter you see that I get +34 culture from city-states. Yes, +34, not +36 or even +24. I have no idea what's going on...

Attachments

• Siam.Civ5Save
    708.3 KB · Views: 172
In my game as Siam it was only a display bug. I'll try to post a savegame later. First I thought it wasn't working because the city-state said "+4 culture" when it should have been +6. However in the culture overview (the popup when you mouse over the culture counter) it correctly said "+6 from city-states".

Maybe there are two bugs - sometimes it just doesn't display correctly, sometimes it doesn't work?

€: Ok, I thought I had it figured out, but I was wrong. In the attached savegame you'll notice that I am Allies with Florence and Geneva. Both city-state screens state that I get +12 culture when it should be +18. When you mouse over the culture counter you see that I get +34 culture from city-states. Yes, +34, not +36 or even +24. I have no idea what's going on...

Are there any other social policies / wonders active in your game that might influence culture form CS?

Are there any other social policies / wonders active in your game that might influence culture form CS?
Nope, nothing like that. Just had another look at my game so I don't miss anything, but there is nothing that should influence my culture gains from CS.

Btw, I also looked at the bonus from Venice (Maritime) and can confirm that it is indeed not working at all.

Yeah that's how it was for me as well, the culture was indeed added correctly, even though the city state screen displayed the original value, but for the food nothing changed at all. :rolleyes:

And I have to agree, how can something like this not be noticed during playtesting?

Imho it's not a good design choice to simply add the bonuses to the city's tile without any information where they are coming from (same with the +5 production bonus from the communism or the +3 from seafaring nation policies)!

Hmmm, so this is why my Siamese OCC is not working... I was wondering why my city did not have enough food (with only 16 pop) while I was allied with all maritime city-states, but was too lazy to properly check the numbers.

Makes you wonder how (if?) the game was tested before release.

This is proof there is almost no testing at all before release.

Makes you wonder how (if?) the game was tested before release.

Contrary to these comments, this bug appears to show the results of beta testing. It was probably decided that additional food from city states made the trait a bit too strong. To that end, they did away with the +50% food bonus, but didn't update the description.

In my game the food bonus would seem to be working correctly and it's only a display bug. My capital has 17 food, 2 + 1(tradition) + 7x2(2 maritime CS) = 17. So it's working as described, just not displayed as such.

Attachments

• siam t234 policy chk.Civ5Save
    748.4 KB · Views: 164
As Zufarro also said its just a display bug. I tested it in my own game and allied a maritime and culture city states they gave 1.5 times the culture and food as the special ability stated. It just doesn't show it on the city state contact screen. Also its easy to miss the bonus food as its added on the city tile directly and is not shown anywhere in the food production screen.

as proven further up, the food part is not just a display bug. Well at least in the OPs game it wasn't.

Could you make two screen shots like those in my first post? That could be quite a mind boggle if its just sometimes just display stuff and sometimes the real numbers.

Actually, Siam's maritime bonus IS working, but definitely not working as it should. It's as weird as it gets, I must say.

I've tested this a bit (which was a pain: my PC is long overdue for an upgrade, so load/turn times are sickening), and there are still a dozen things I'd like to test but I just haven't got the time right now. Maybe you guys could finish with the investigation.

Okay, so here's what I found out:

1) If you befriend a city-state 1 stage at a time (do something to become friends, then something to become allies), the +50% is never added. You get +2/+1 for step 1 and +2/+1 for step 2, for a total of +4/+2 - same as any other civ.

2)However, if you do something to go from neutral to allies at once, you get +6/+3 - what you actually should get, taking +50% into account. If, from allies, you declare on the city state, you correctly lose the whole +6/+3 bonus.

3)Now this is where it gets interesting. When you drop from allies to friends status, you only lose +2/+1, leaving you with a +4/+2 bonus (double of what any other civ would be getting at this point). If you go up to allies again at this point, you'll be getting a total of +6/+3 again.

4)When you drop from friends to neutral status, you again lose only +2/+1, leaving you with a +2/+1 bonus, even though you are neutral! At this point you could even go to war with the city-state, the bonus still stays. It kinda becomes an integral part of your civ.

5)If at this point, being neutral, you go to allies in 1 payment, you get +6/+3 again. Which of course stacks with you brand new +2/+1 civ bonus =) for a total of +8/+4.
I suspect you could rinse and repeat for infinite food (didn't test this: too troublesome to click through 30 more turns with random events messing things up).

6)I don't yet know how all this stuff works afrer Renaissance, when the "normal" maritime bonus increases to +6/+3 (I think).

7) Finally, the city-state info pop-up doesn't take the Siamese bonus into account, it just shows what it shows for everyone else. That is a separate display bug.

Just tested the game save that the original poster posted. To me this bug might not have anything to do with the leaders special ability. I counted all the maritime cities he had allied and it didn't even amount to the normal ammount of food from the city state. Then I let one city state to drop off from ally and the food went down by one. There also seems to be some oddity as there is one city that is not capital that is producing one food more than the others. This bug might not be just because Siam's special ability. This might be something more deep gone wrong.

In my own game it works perfectly and if people want I can post the save here.

I tried Flakk's save but it crashes instant I click to load it.

Anyone know if this is fixed with the newest patch? I cannot find anything in the changelog, but I'd thought I ask anyway, maybe I just haven't read it properly ... oO

Anyone know if this is fixed with the newest patch? I cannot find anything in the changelog, but I'd thought I ask anyway, maybe I just haven't read it properly ... oO

According to the patch notes for 1.0.1.141 (released December 22, 2010):

1.0.1.141 Patch Notes said:
- Fixed bug where as Siam, food from Maritime City States didn't provide the expected result.

so the patch notes, at least, claim that the bug has been fixed.

Top Bottom