[FIXED] Why is unit maintenance calculated in pairs?

snapple232

Warlord
I tested this just now, I deleted one worker and my income didn't change at all. I deleted a second one, and my income shot up by 5 gold. This seems to happen with any type of unit. Unit maintenance is presented poorly, and not explained at all. We should be able to see exactly how much gold each unit is costing us a turn, and I'm hoping that it being calculated in pairs is a bug. I don't mean to heap on more negativity onto the game, I'm having fun overall, but this really needs to be addressed, considering that unit maintenance takes up so much of your income.

I tested this just now, I deleted one worker and my income didn't change at all. I deleted a second one, and my income shot up by 5 gold. This seems to happen with any type of unit. Unit maintenance is presented poorly, and not explained at all. We should be able to see exactly how much gold each unit is costing us a turn, and I'm hoping that it being calculated in pairs is a bug. I don't mean to heap on more negativity onto the game, I'm having fun overall, but this really needs to be addressed, considering that unit maintenance takes up so much of your income.

I miss the old spreadsheets. I don't understand why they didn't include them, it can't take any more time than making one of those fancy leaders.:(

Yes, i admit it. I like spreadsheets.

I noticed this also. I was gearing up to stomp Egypt in my last game so I built up a lot of modern age units fairly quickly. I ended up with a huge army & steamrolled Egypt, but was losing like 150 gpt.... I started disbanding most of my units since there wasnt really any other threat on my continent.

I noticed exactly what you were describing. If you delete one unit, your gpt wont move, only if you delete 2. It was kind of weird.

Maybe the curve for unit upkeep doesn't move in whole numbers, so you don't see it reflected in the interface for each unit?

I have no clue. The interface is woefully inadequate.

-or-
maybe the numbers don't update until
... you end turn
... you delete another unit
... you change other settings

Its not 1 or 3. I guess it could be that it only updates every other time you delete a unit. That would be weird though.....

If this is true... wow. Awesomely crap

I think it's a bug. I don't know who would intentionally program it that way as it makes no sense.

in CIV it was the same, but there the UI at least specifically says so in tooltip.

In CIV there was maintenance outside your borders and then unit maintenance above cap calculated in pairs.

I assume it stayed that way. Yesterday when I moved units inside my borders my gold went up...

This is what developers do when they've made poor AI. Leave important data out to artifically increase game difficulty.

If they really wanted to make the game accessible to newcomers they'd NEVER leave something this important out. Also notice it's not described in the manual, nor the civpedia, nor the readme's.

I think it's a bug. I don't know who would intentionally program it that way as it makes no sense.

WAD. To avoid presenting fractions, a deep mathematical concept that falls outside of the knowledge base of this release's target: the granmas.

Top Bottom