1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

FIXED_GEM_ preset_No_Custom_Civs

Discussion in 'Maps & Scenarios' started by Fermongu, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

I like this map a lot, but one thing I didn't like was the great amount of resources, it felt like cheating having cities with resources in all her tiles.

So I decided to go into WorldBuilder and reduce them. But then I decided to tweak here and there, balance resources a bit more, put in unused terrains (principally sea) and more.

This is a list of changes I've made:

- Reduced density of resources overall. Mostly on saturated areas (Europe, India, China, Middle East, Egypt). I think there still are too much resources, but the difference should be very noticeably. I focused on removing repeated resources that were too close.
    - Placed resources in empty areas (Argentina, Oceania, euroasiatic steppe). Now there's more balance in resource density all over the map.
    - Moved and tweaked some resources around (example: lots of mining resources moved from plain and grasslands to nearby hills, but not all)
    - Added missing resources (Elephants, Parrots, Manganese, Turquoise, Fine clay) in appropiate regions (mostly), removed Ivory and Common clay (they're not map resources).
    - Added missing Natural Wonders (Auyantepuy in Venezuela, Kilimanjaro in Kenya, Aurora boreal) and moved Shark Bay to a Coast tile (Australia).
    - Added Sea tiles surrounding coast.
    - Give small lakes the "Lake shore" terrain.
    - Replaced Rocky terrain in Australia with Badlands (just for a bit more pleasing graphic).
    - Tibet has Rocky terrain now instead of Plains.
    - Base terrain of Peaks modified for better terrain blending (though hardly noticeable).
    - Added some Permafrost terrain at high latitudes.
    - Tropical ocean more limited to Tropical regions.
    - Whales moved to Sea tiles (save Gibraltar and Red Sea).
    - Some small tweaks to the map (retouching Iberian peninsule and Canary Islands, removed land bridge between India and Ceilan, some small Sea bridges in Oceania between isles, placed caves in Spain and France).
    - Replaced totally misplaced Holy Roman Empire with Aboriginal in empty Australia.
    - Added 1 more civilization: Ethiopia.
    - Tupi civ based now on existing custom Tupi civ.
    - Apache civ has a working flag now (same as Sioux for now).
    - Modified Congolese flag and colour to not match Ethiopia.
    - Lastly, I looked on Civilopedia the requeriments for constructing all the cultures in game, and placed resources where needed so hopefully all cultures should be possible to build in appropiate regions with the modified map. Some asiatic cultures from the interior needs a "Coast" nearby, and I'm not sure if the changed "Lake shore" will still count as a "coast" tile for meeting the requeriments, playtesting needed.

- Optional: to fix Carthaginian and Ottoman flags, some minor tweaks needed in the mod.

- If you want more realistic Animal spawning, use attached CIV4Spawninfos.xml (copy file inside folder "...\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Units"). Only use this file for this map, conserve the original file for normal mod gameplay.

Map is cleaned and loads well. I'm waiting to v38.2 to start a new Campaign :D

I did this for enjoyment and a (hopefully) more balanced gameplay with this map. I want to give credit to the original creator of the map, and if there is no problem with credit or permission I can upload here the modified map if someone wants it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Sounds like we should replace the current one with this one.
    A clear cut improvement of the map.

I haven't tested either.
    What do others think?

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

We've had many players wanting a GEM playable map for sometime now.

4. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

I have uploaded it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Thank you! :)

6. climat

climat Chieftain

Ivory is a manufactured resource in C2C. It should be replaced by elephants on map.

7. Harrier

Harrier Chieftain

I agree 100%.

If I remember correctly - the Fixed_Gem was a modification I made (by request) to the then current GEM version, with Notepad. So that it loaded in the then version of C2C, but I could not test it (my system would not load it). I could only edit WB files via Notepad.

I think Faustmouse (I may be wrong) checked it out and then loaded it to the SVN.

So it is a very old version - which needs updating.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

It would be safe to include it right before v38 release, no big issues in replacing an old outdated map with an improved one, it won't introduce more issues than it solves.
    @strategyonly: I know wer'e getting ready for release, I'm wondering if it would be ok to add this map to the SVN right after your next commit and before we release v38..

9. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I dont mind, but the SVN repos is in a new building right now and transitioning, if U can commit before me, go for it . .

10. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

Ivory removed and a few more elephants placed instead. Helped Scythia starting location just a bit.

11. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

- More resource tweaking.
    - Placed caves in Spain and France.
    - Placed Aurora.
    - Base terrain of Peaks altered to better terrain blending (almost all peaks had a Taiga base terrain :nono:). This is not very noticeable anyway.
    - Some more terrain changes (rocky in Tibet for example).
    - More tweaks on Iberian Peninsule.
    - Given a working flag to "Apache" civ.
    - Tupi civilization now is based on existing custom Tupi civ, it was previously based on Inca civ.
    - Corrected color to Congolese flag.

- Optional: fixed incorrect Carthaginian and Ottoman flags, but it needs minor file tweaking in the mod.

12. Harrier

Harrier Chieftain

A side note:

Peaks have a 75% defense bonus. So on my maps (SEM+ and LEM), I made all Peaks have a base terrain ICE., This gave a -15% terrain damage for players who used this option.

There were about 6 Civs that used other Civs as the base. Unfortunately I no longer have those details on my system. You may find a list by searching GEM threads on this site, if you have not already found them all.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  13. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

Updated 1st post with a custom file for more correct animal spawning (no more giraffes in australia XD). I didn't touch sea animals, maybe in the future. Enjoy :)

14. Mind Flower

Mind Flower Chieftain

What is differance between no custom civs and modified? I noticed leaders not having traits. does that mean developing leaders? (=

15. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

Yes, developing leaders is On by defect. You can play it with Custom Scenarios and choose whatever options you prefer.

16. JohnnyCamel

JohnnyCamel Chieftain

Hi,
    I recently started a game with this map on version 38.5 and I have an issue : no religion is founded. No Druidism, no Shamanism,... I think I discovered the tech Tengriism first, but nothing happened (no religion and no prophet).
    Does anyone have the same problem? How could I fix this (without restarting the game if possible..)

17. Noriad2

Noriad2 Chieftain

@JohnnyCamel: do you have the Divine Prophet option on? Sometimes the AI gets a Great Prophet from researching the religious tech but uses the Great Prophet on something else. I play with Tech diffusion on and sometimes notice a beaker bonus on the religious tech even though the religion has not been founded yet.

18. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

May this be a bug with some options or combination? I advanced in this map until half classical era and still no religions found too (divine prophets + limited religions).

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That combination will have the AI holding off until it can initiate it's 'favorite' religion. Since they can only ever initiate one religion, they care only about that one unless it's already been founded. So you very well can go quite a ways into the game without seeing any religions founded.

20. Noriad2

Noriad2 Chieftain

Except that that is illogical behavior by the current game rules. When an AI's favorite religion is founded by anyone anywhere in the world, the religion automatically spreads to him, too. So no need to keep a Great Prophet on standby for that.