Fixing the Western Hemisphere starting position bug

dalgo

Emperor
Western Hemisphere (Huge) Scenario

One annoyance with this map is that you always start in the same position off the coast of Brazil. After playing around with it for a while I found a way to change that default starting position. Here's how:

Start as normal (Play a Scenario) and choose Western Hemisphere (Huge) but importantly pick a nation you do not want to play. i.e. if you usually play as the Dutch, pick France for example. Set the difficulty and game speed then start the game. Your ship will appear in the normal starting position. Now exit the game without saving.

Next go to your Colonization folders to find the saved map file. On my system this is at: My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civ4 Colonization etc/Saves/WorldBuilder where there should be a file called WBQuickSave.ColonizationWBSave. Move this file to the PublicMaps folder and rename it to something you can recognise (eg WH Huge.ColonizationWBSave).

Now start a new game. The map you have just created will appear on the Scenario list. This time however choose the nation you actually want to play. You can then set your Name, Difficulty and Game Speed again and you will get a starting location that is not at the normal start point.

The only slight problem with this approach is that your countries leader has already been pre-selected and can't be changed. If that is a problem for you then you can repeat this process several times until you get the leader you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom