Flat land survival

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
My tribe of hairy club wielders has decided it would be nice to stop roaming, to settle and build a roof over our heads. We come to this realization on some beautiful flat grasslands with some nice wheat fields nearby.
There is the odd tile of trees dotted around and I love the green flat carpet without a bump in sight.

We all see these starts and the few I tried were just painful due to the lack of production.
I want to try and play them again... to not have to restart for the 20th time.
So has anyone got tips that have played flat not bumpy? Or is it just a facepalm unless on a low level.

On Diety I generally find such starts to be a face palm. Better players than I may enjoy the challenge but I need some production in my starting city.

Hi,
I'm at the best an average player (only play up to emperor), but here my opinion: when starting on flat land, the only chance of getting some early production comes from hidden strategic resources, specifically from iron.
So you have to research mining and bronze working, to see if you get something iron on your starting position. God of craftsmen can boost the production you get from these.
You can choose Lady of the reeds and marshes if you have marsh/oasis/floodplains titles. Work ethic belief and Meeting House add to production; Encampment buildings add some production, too.

Last edited:
I'd rush Commercial hubs to get my cities some production through internal trade, don't bother with unit research, as you won't have the hammers required anyways.

Get to lumber mills quick and mill all your forests, then later get Conservation and turn all that flatland into forests. I find people overlook the power of lumber mills, I prefer them over farms any day!

The problem is that lumber mills don't come until machinery and by the time you get conservation you should be well on your way to victory. On higher difficulties both are far too long to wait for your capital to start producing hammers. On my flat starts I usually start having issues with the barbarian and AI invasions within the first 25 turns or so.

Most people tend to beeline for Early Empire. I beeline Craftsmanship.

You should be able to make up the difference with Policy management and saving the 1 or 2 forests for special chops (like settlers).

I wouldn't waste my time with scouts (rarely do), but I would use all of my first units to explore. Send one out to the edge of the unexplored map, then start moving him clockwise. Send the next one out following the same path, only further out, and the next and the next. This way you can explore but still have defenses near home, and hopefully spot any invaders. Your troops are exploring/scouting in an ever-expanding, ever-moving wheel. Once you have enough troops, you can let a couple wander off and keep the others close to home.

Once you've spotted a site with decent production, bomb chop a settler. Do it again as much as you can every time you see a good spot, even if it means crushing some cities together in tight formation. Conquest would be easier, most likely, but you seem averse to that.

Paste a jpeg. Its fun to study starts.

I don't know why I bothered posting. You obviously know all of this.

I've played quite a few Giant Earth Map starts with no hills around - even after hiking my settler for 13 turns. Its really not a problem. Little slower to get going is all. More civs will try to pick on you.

The really tough choice is what to build first? Warrior, monument, or builder?

One of the few factors that never changes regardless of game speed is distance. Distance equals time. So what you build first may depend on map size and number of opponents, and what civ you choose. But Craftsmanship cuts your unit production time in half, and monument gets you there much faster. Roll the dice on the zerg.

I dunno... nothing new here I guess. Maybe there is to someone.

edit1: well, here, maybe is an actually useful tip. On flatter starts, I will usually use my first builder to chop for a second, and the second for a third - in addition to chopping for settlers. So 1st builds does 1 chop for a second builder, then 2 improvements (often 1 clearing a spot for first district if necessary), and 2nd chops for a settler, 1 improvement, save, save, save, and chop for the third builder/2nd settler. Something like that. Also, since you are food-based, you obviously don't want to start popping settlers until you're size 3 at least, better at 4, best at size 5. Depends on the situation. Just do the worker-toggle dance until the pop. pops.

edit 2: it occurs to me that there may be some dissent in regards to my suggestion to go for Craftsmanship first. The argument I suspect to be put forth first would be that by the time you get Craftsmanship, you won't need it anymore, but will be ready for your first settler. This is 1) not true, and 2) the more cities you have, the more potential value Craftsmanship has. If you are in a position where more of your cities' combined production is going towards settlers than military units, well, at that point, who really cares? Your policies have become a bonus, and are no longer a crutch.

Last edited:
Ignore dissent, opinion is what counts, it is yours after all.

One comment on your hard work, distance on flat land is half that of rough

Those first builds are key because they take longer, I guess at least in the capital you get extra production.... Its just how best to use it.

I am not adverse to violence, my first 5 games were brutal affairs and I just tjought give up or play differently. If the challenge is flat land then violence may be a choice

I am not adverse to violence, my first 5 games were brutal affairs and I just tjought give up or play differently. If the challenge is flat land then violence may be a choice

Ah, well then, as another option just chop some archers and warriors and go show your nearest neighbor how much you care.

I never ignore dissent unless its not my own.

My tribe of hairy club wielders has decided it would be nice to stop roaming, to settle and build a roof over our heads. We come to this realization on some beautiful flat grasslands with some nice wheat fields nearby.
There is the odd tile of trees dotted around and I love the green flat carpet without a bump in sight.

We all see these starts and the few I tried were just painful due to the lack of production.
So has anyone got tips that have played flat not bumpy? Or is it just a facepalm unless on a low level.

You can skip builders/eurekas & just immediately build settlers to settle better lands.

Apart from that you can also use unique improvements/for some civs to make use of open terrain

In general, it feels counterintuitive that open, lush land with nice wheat would be disadvantageous to found a good city. & grassland hills on which you build mines would yield 2 food without the necessity to build farms.

At least flat and lush terrain will give you more population, which gives a tiny push to science. Focusing on 3 Slingers and researching Archery faster might solve your problems.

About Craftsmanship, I also often get it before Early Empire. It's an easier Inspiration (I like to open with Slinger > Builder) and helps building your early army. And this way, by the time Early Empire arrives, I'm starting my Settler wave.

Last edited:
Rush a settler and make the expansion your "new" capital in everything but name and classification. Then later on use trade routes to increase production.

The other alternative is just to rush your neighbour. Same outcome as the first option just a different (more violent) method.

IMO, when you have a bad starting position the best option is to build a large military force to take over your neighbouring CS or AI cities.

A good one. In Civ 4, we had the option of turning population into production (via slavery) and in Civ 6 that option is gone. We probably should bring that conversion mechanism back somehow.

So has anyone got tips that have played flat not bumpy? Or is it just a facepalm unless on a low level.[/QUOT

Top Bottom