1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FLICster Issue????????? HELP!!???

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by polyphemus, Jul 12, 2010.

1. polyphemus

polyphemus join the long blue line

So im in the final stages of making my unit, and now im testing the unit Flicster:

1. all the civ colors are the same??? (im guessing this is because civ3 isnt installed...ok, fine)
    2. when i try to export the file as an flc, or anything for that matter........no file is exported....maybe i forgot how to use this thing....

2. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Sounds like a possible Computer Operating System Problem.
    ...check the paths where your computer wants to place the Files.

Make sure you have Flicster v. 1.0.1 build 18 installed.
    I uploaded Flicster in the Database here if you need to install it again.

3. polyphemus

so after playing with it i found out that for some reason i have to have a custom delay...weird...

4. Vuldacon

IF you are referring to the Flc Speeds, that depends on several Factors concerning the animation such as the Rate that was used when the animation was made and the length of the animation.

Hope you will be able to finish your Unit :)

5. polyphemus

yeah right now im just having issues with the palette, when i do alpha blend its all messed up so im going to be messing around with it for a while, first things first though, i need to go back to school to get my paintshoppro/anim shop cd, cuz those are the only 2d programs i understand right now :p and photoshop is pretty expensive even with the student discount.

maybe you can help actually...when i choose alpha blend, the unit is outlined with a white line, and for the death animations, the explosion in the center turns magentish, im guessing that because of some issues with arranging certain colors in the anti-aliasing area of the palette as well as including some of those colors in the main body.

6. Vuldacon

PSP is actually better and easier for CIV Game work anyway :)

As for the Alpha Blend issues you are having... that seems to be a Palette issue. In other words, the colors you placed in the palette for the Unit colors.

I would have to see what you have to know what is going on there.

The Only "White Line" I can think of that is causing you to see this is Anti-aliasing but that would be made of various "Smoke Shades" from the Palette that are various degrees of Translucency.

If you can upload the 16 Million Color .bmp Unit storyboard and both the .pal and Alpha.pal Unit palettes you are using, I will take a look at them.

7. polyphemus

k, i uploaded them, this is frustrating cuz i should know how to do this, thanks for the help man. I think the problem is because i have a lot of "anti aliasing" colors mixed in with the smoke...i guess.....

Attached Files:

8. Vuldacon

9. polyphemus

thanks again ma, tell me what went wrong, thanks again!!!

10. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Yea, What Vuldacon said sounds about right. Could be a bunch of different Magenta colors in the background. When I render in 3ds I have to use photoshop on the storyboard and do a Select -> Color Range.. Then use Eyedropper Tool to grab a Magenta pixel color in the image; using a fuzziness of about 40 to select all Magenta colors. Then I set the background color to ff00ff and hit 'Ctrl - Shift - Backspace' to make all the Magenta colors in the storyboard the same (ff00ff). It won't grab the darker shadow colors around the unit outline though (which is okay!).

Of course, that is if that is the problem or not.. will have to wait for Vuldacon's assessment.

11. Vuldacon

polyphemus... Your Palette was the problem. Many Magenta Shades in the Unit Colors Area. A correct palette will have the "Smoke and Shadow Shades" where you also had other magenta Unit colors for your unit.

This problem was also from so many Magenta and Purple Shades in the Unit. A Rainbow of Magenta, Purple, Green, Yellow and Red colors throughout the Unit. over 30,000 so it took a bit to selectively remove those undesirable colors.

I made a selective color Palette by combining all Storyboards then removing the Magenta, Purple and some Purple Red colors then reduced to 256 colors. I then selectively removed more colors that were not needed. Finally I reduced to 160 Colors then added those colors to a Unit Palette That I colored the CIV Specific Colors area all a Blue Color Not found in this Unit...so the Palettes are Non Civ Colored.

The few pinkish shades around the Yellow Explosion I assumed you wanted but If not, you can easily open the Palette and change those few colors to a very Light Yellow Shade you prefer or what ever works best.

I included a .pal and Alpha.pal Palette but you will only need the "NewUnit.pal" Palette and load that to all storyboards to "Nearest Color matching".

See if this is what you want :)

Attached Files:

12. polyphemus

so if i wanted to make the lime green the civ color, i need to include those colors in the first row in order? and is there a way to automatically have the first row be arranged in order. I know this can somewhat be done in pEdit, but that affects the whole palette...maybe some way to merge the palettes...one with just the civ colors (lime green) the other with the rest of the palette.....Thanks btw!! :goodjob: :D

im gonna refer to this palette a lot!

13. polyphemus

and do you think i should decrease the size of that explosion for the death cuz im afraid it might look weird have the ring go out of frame like that in game....

14. Vuldacon

It would have been best if I had known you wanted the Green to be the Civ Specific Color. In that case, all of those Green Colors are also removed from the Unit Storyboards Before making the Palette. Then we Use the Green Civ Colored Palette and add the Unit Colors to it.
    ...The Green Colors will have no choice but to use the CIV Specific Colors and will then be Civ Specific Colored when the Palette is Loaded to nearest color matching.

Because the Green Colors are also now in the Unit Colors Slots, they take up more slots in that area that the Unit could have used for other Shades not included that would make the Unit look better...

As for the Explosion, because the deaths are off center in all directions, the explosion would have to be very small to avoid the Frames but that is your decision as to what you prefer.

15. polyphemus

ok, i see what you are saying, use the green civ specific color palette as the template right? then apply the "newUnit" palette unit colors to it right? only problem is that i dont have civ3 anymore... :sad:

16. Vuldacon

polyphemus... It is Easier to simply select a mid range of one of the Civ Colors from the Game Palettes to use when making the Unit. Then the Colors of that Civ Specific Palette will match. Otherwise, we have to make a range of the Civ Specific Colors we use and apply those to the Civ Specific Area of the Unit Palette.

I made New Palettes and did the Above so these palettes will go on all of your Units Storyboards and have Civ Specific Colored areas. As before, you Only need the .pal Palette unless you just want to load the Alpha.pal palette AFTER you Load the .pal Palette to see the storyboard in Alpha.pal. IF so, I am sure you know to Load the Alpha.pal palette using Maintain Indexes after loading the .pal Palette using Nearest Color Matching.

Note that After you load the "CivColored_NewUnit.pal" Palette to Nearest Color Matching and save the Storyboard as a .pcx file, You can apply any Civ Unit Palette in Flicster before generating the Flc. So you can decide what Civ Specific Color you prefer as the Default but that is only for a Preview as these colors will change according to the Civ who Owns the unit :)

Let me know if any problems. I already Loaded the palette and seems good to me. I removed most of the Pinkish Colors that were around the explosion Yellow color but there are 2 or 3 that you might want to change the Colors to a Yellowish type color. I had to leave some shades so the storyboard would have some color that it could use in those areas but those are easily adjusted as you want them.

...and by the way... get CIV III Conquest. Needed to test and see your Units in Game besides being a Great Game and easier to Mod :)

Attached Files: