[RD] Florida School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Yeah, that's right up there with arming all airline passengers.
Nothing could possibly go wrong there. :D

Why hasn't anyone thought of the most obvious solution here? Arm the students.

There's a lot more students than teachers. Imagine a school shooter pulling out a gun and trying to shoot someone. What are the chances there will be a teacher nearby to respond to the threat? Who knows. What are the chances there will be a student nearby to respond to the threat? A lot higher! On a university campus here's students everywhere!

It could also be used as a way to ease young adults into proper American life. Owning a gun is a big part of what it means to be American. What better way to get those patriotic juices flowing than training students to shoot an unpatriotic attacker, take him out, and save their fellow Americans?

This is such a no-brainer. Win/win all around

Make gun training and finally owning your own gun into a proper initiation ritual for achieving adulthood and your voting right.

Similar like the Appenzeller in Switzerland.

From: https://www.thelocal.ch/20130524/appenzell-practices-democracy-in-its-purest-form

"This is the only place in the world, I think, where a weapon serves as voter ID," says Rudolf Keller, the second secretary in the Appenzell cantonal government, showing off his own sword, which has his name engraved in the glistening steel".

ohh
and perhaps unsurprisingly
Suicide by weapon has in Switzerland the highest rate in Europe
And I could list up some other social oddities that are kind of embarassing for Switzerland.

Last edited:
Why hasn't anyone thought of the most obvious solution here? Arm the students.

There's a lot more students than teachers. Imagine a school shooter pulling out a gun and trying to shoot someone. What are the chances there will be a teacher nearby to respond to the threat? Who knows. What are the chances there will be a student nearby to respond to the threat? A lot higher! On a university campus here's students everywhere!

It could also be used as a way to ease young adults into proper American life. Owning a gun is a big part of what it means to be American. What better way to get those patriotic juices flowing than training students to shoot an unpatriotic attacker, take him out, and save their fellow Americans?

This is such a no-brainer. Win/win all around
:lol: Yeah, that's right up there with arming all airline passengers.
Nothing could possibly go wrong there. :D
What we really need is a rule requiring people to be armed in order to board a plane or come within 1000 feet of a school. That way no more unarmed people are allowed on planes or in schools putting everyone else at risk with their silly defenselessness.

:blush: Well my quote is still the more famous one... so there :p

Arakhor's/Tim's is prettier though:

"Telemachus,
all these war weapons we must stash inside,
and when the suitors notice they're not there
and question you, then reassure them,
using gentle language:

'I've put them away
in a place far from the smoke. Those weapons
are no longer like the ones Odysseus left
when he set off for Troy so long ago.
They're tarnished. That's how much the fire's breath
has reached them. Moreover, a god has set
a greater fear inside my heart—you may get drunk
on too much wine, then fight amongst yourselves
and wound each other. That would shame the feast,
disgrace your courtship. For iron by itself
can draw a man to use it.'"

I reckon the fastest way to get effective gun control in the USA is for some rich person to buy every black American an assault rifle

Yeah, they need this guy:

Can't be worse than arming teachers.

Arakhor's/Tim's is prettier though:

"Telemachus,
all these war weapons we must stash inside,
and when the suitors notice they're not there
and question you, then reassure them,
using gentle language:

'I've put them away
in a place far from the smoke. Those weapons
are no longer like the ones Odysseus left
when he set off for Troy so long ago.
They're tarnished. That's how much the fire's breath
has reached them. Moreover, a god has set
a greater fear inside my heart—you may get drunk
on too much wine, then fight amongst yourselves
and wound each other. That would shame the feast,
disgrace your courtship. For iron by itself
can draw a man to use it.'"
Seeing in that context makes me feel like it actually is pretty similar to the "take the sword... perish by the sword" quote... but I'm not dying on that hill

What sort of gun control exists in California? Has it been successful?

Moderately, but the proximity of Arizona, which subscribes to the 'wild west, if only EVERYONE had a machine gun imagine how safe we would all be' system makes things difficult. Plus, of course, even California has no way to close the reseller/straw buyer loophole, because the intersection of "but muh second amendment" and "but it's muh prop'rty and I can do as I please with it" is a bastion that can only be breached by the SCOTUS, and the NRA owns that.

Sounds like California might as well secede

I'm for that. California would be a great place if it wern't saddled with the rest of the states. As is though I'm about ready to leave.

Expecting such proactive activities to "weed out the wrong'uns" also begs the question: What do you charge the wrongun with?

Okay, guy posted a stupidly aggressive status on YouTube. Multiple police calls to his house, but no charges to file. FBI Special Agent Dick Tracy "has a feeling" this guy is really dangerous. Now what? Are we, as a society, ready for "well, an FBI agent has a feeling you might be dangerous, so we are locking you up"?

To get back to this, in the past week just in Southern California ten people have been detained for "making school shooting threats." Near as I can make out, one of them has actually been charged on a weapons charge, but the rest don't appear to have any sort of prosecutable offenses.

To get back to this, in the past week just in Southern California ten people have been detained for "making school shooting threats." Near as I can make out, one of them has actually been charged on a weapons charge, but the rest don't appear to have any sort of prosecutable offenses.

Someone at my local high school was arrested for that as well and they're planning to charge with threat of terrorism which carries a maximum of 20 years. Stupid 17 year old kid, probably make a bad joke. They visited his house and the kid and parents voluntarily let them search it and no weapons found. We'll see what he is actually charged with but he had a 10k bond.

If by "solve all the problems" you mean cost millions having to defend it in court where they are certain to lose then I agree.

Well, that will solve all the problems.

Indeed. What better protection could one ask for than being under the aegis of the divine?

In all seriousness though, Trump did make at least one good suggestion: raising the minimum purchase age for all firearms to 21 instead of only pistols having that restriction. Of course, making a good suggestion means nothing if you don't actually do anything to make that suggestion a reality.

His "arm the teachers" thing is just insane though. Consider this:

School shooter comes in, caps one of these armed teachers, and all of a sudden the shooter now has an extra gun and ammo to continue his rampage with.

And don't even get me started on the classroom issues that would arise from armed teachers. I can see it now:

"Class, there is to be no talking during the test." Someone whispers during the test and the teacher pulls out his/her piece, waives it around and shouts "I SAID NO TALKING!!!!" Maybe even fires a warning shot to drive the point home.

In all seriousness though, Trump did make at least one good suggestion: raising the minimum purchase age for all firearms to 21 instead of only pistols having that restriction.

Do you think that would help much? If we're going by the demographics, seemingly keeping guns out of the hands of all males below the age of, oh, 35 or so would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom