1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Florida School Shooting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

guns are (were) a state issue, but the Feds should be helping by suppressing guns illegally entering them

2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

How do you mean that ?
    (Do not understand it :()

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

If a state bans certain weapons, importing them would be illegal... The Feds have jurisdiction over interstate commerce so they should be helping the state by cracking down on those guns crossing the state line. Kinda like pot, states that legalized it are scrutinized by the Feds for exporters.

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

I suggest a wall and make Kansas pay for it !
    The Feds cant even stop the import of Fenytal thats killing tens of thousands but you think the Feds can crackdown gun running ?
    Iam sure that they already thought of this idea its just impractical.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I disagree but I think ammosexual is hilarious.

I find it very interesting that when we had a society with huge numbers of veterans and lots of households with guns we had a more democratic outcome, and now, with household ownership of guns reaching new lows, and the number of trained killers among masses reaching also new lows, we have an untouchable ruling elite unchallenged by the electoral process.

Farm Boy likes this.
  6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

In the period after the civil war, when guns were probably in 85% of homes, we had numerous and regular violence especially in areas where there was social discord.

7. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Hm, and reconstruction was one of the fairest legislative pushes for its time. Good catch.

I feel like there's usually insurgency in occupied lands. They seem to like acronyms for names.

Farm Boy and Birdjaguar like this.
  8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Guns are much harder to hide but are mostly legal, why would they have already thought it impractical? They're trying to keep pot from leaving states where its legal, the fact they dont catch it all dont matter. But going by your argument, wouldn't banning guns not only fail but result in more violence as a new, large black market is created?

9. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

As Berserker said, the Feds should be helping the states enforce their laws. For example: If AR-15s are banned in, say,California, but not in Arizona, there's not really anything in place to stop someone in California from going to Arizona, buying an AR-15 and bringing it back to California.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

The better example is Illinois, but fixing the problem would take away the right wing mantra about gun violence in Chicago despite the strict gun laws. Of course the logical argument that strict gun laws don't matter when the eastern suburbs are in Indiana so you can buy anything you want and don't even need a car to get there is totally lost on them.

11. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

The bad faith arguments just keep coming up!

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

The GOP has tapped a wellspring of bad faith arguments, and embraced that chunk of the population that will endlessly parrot them.

13. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

How is the pot crackdown working out ? Lots of succesful intercepts for pot smuggling at state borders ?

Easier said then done

Might as well accpet that the tree of liberty is feed with the blood of school kids from time to time. monthly.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  14. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

The FBI doesn't exist to enforce state laws anyway. This entire aside is nothing but gibberish.

15. chijohnaok

chijohnaok King

First of all, I don't believe that you can order an AR-15 from Amazon.
    I just checked it. They list accessories (like cleaning kits, slings, scopes, etc) but not AR-15s themselves.

In fact, here is a 2014 article in the Huffington Post in which an Amazon spokesperson said that the company does not sell guns or ammunition: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/13/amazon-gun-accessories_n_4442154.html

Secondly, while there is the ability to order/purchase a firearm online, you cannot purchase it and have it shipped to your house (like normal online purchases from Amazon).

If you try to buy a firearm over the Internet from one of the nation's 130,000 or so* federal firearms license holders, then you have to go through a background check, period. They'll ship the gun to your nearest licensed dealer. There's no loophole there.
    Likewise, if you want to buy a gun online from any seller in another state, they can't just mail the gun to your doorstep. The Gun Control Act of 1968 strictly regulates direct mail of virtually all firearms across state lines, save for antiques. Again, the seller has to ship the gun to a federally licensed dealer. The buyer would then have to go to that dealer, fill out paperwork, and undergo a background check before picking up the gun.
    Those two above were taken from a Washington Post news article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...gun-over-the-internet/?utm_term=.2f61b192c663

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Hygro likes this.
  16. chijohnaok

chijohnaok King

The first two years of the Obama Presidency had the Democratic Party with majorities in both houses of Congress, but they did not pass any such ban (I don't recall them ever bringing anything like that up for a vote in Congress).

17. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

Who cares about Amazon? If you are from Florida then you can also get to a gun show in no more than a few hours drive.

Not renewing the 1994 assault weapons ban was a failure of epic proportion. I guess congress was too distracted with the ACA at the time.

Marla_Singer likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

It's only gibberish to you because you don't understand the Constitution. One of the Constitutional duties of the federal government is to regulate interstate commerce. Someone hopping state lines to purchase something that is outlawed in their home state certainly falls within the realm of regulation of interstate commerce, so not only does the federal government have the power to step in on such matters, it can be argued that they have a duty to step in.

Who said anything about the FBI? This would be a matter for the ATF. I'm seriously starting to wonder just how much of a grasp you really have on how our government works.

Apparently Marla does. Otherwise she (assuming "she" because of the username, correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't have posted that. I'm glad she did though, because it serves as an example of just how woefully uninformed people are about how the purchasing of firearms works in the US.

Your point? Gun sales at gun shows are still subject to the same laws and regulations that gun sales from a conventional store are subject to. The seller still has to have an FFL and the buyer still needs to get an "instant" background check from the FBI (which can take several days despite being called "instant"). This whole "you can purchase a gun at a gun show, no questions asked" thing is just a baseless myth perpetuated by the gun control crowd.

Please: if you are going to argue for gun control, fine. All I ask is that you at least know what you are talking about before perpetuating falsehoods and misconceptions that just make you look foolish.

19. chijohnaok

chijohnaok King

First of all, I was not the person who raised Amazon as an issue. I was responding to another poster who raised Amazon as an item.

Next, the "gun show loophole" does not mean that there are never any background checks for guns sold at gun shows.
    If the seller is a licensed firearms dealer, they must perform a background check, be it at their store or at a gun show.

Those not required to perform a background check for a gun sale at a gun show are sales conducted by private parties.
    Those private parties would not have to perform a background check if they made the sale at a place other than a gun show (such as from their home).

Some states (9 of them) have additional requirements necessitating a background check for sales of all firearms made by non-licensed sellers (aka private parties selling a gun, be it at a gun show or at another place)
    Four additional states have such a requirement but applicable to the sale of handguns only (not rifles).

20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I heard a ring of smugglers in Colorado were busted by the Feds so I know they're trying to stem the flow. We dont see many machine guns being smuggled about so that ban has been successful, true?

They (DEA) exist to enforce federal drug laws and federal law prohibits pot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.