1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Floridan Republican declared a terrorist, by his own party

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by useless, Jan 7, 2012.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I'm willing to say it was Islamic terrorism if you're willing to apply the same standard to Anders Behring Breivik. They're rather comparable situations.

2. kochman

kochman Deity

Well, the obvious difference is that Christianity commands not to kill people (per Jesus... please don't launch into OT stuff)...
    The Koran commands you to seek out the infidel and kill them wherever you find them.

In both cases, the people used religion as a reason, and they shouldn't have.

There have also been other muslims attacks in America, thwarted and successful, since 9/11... Good Samaritan wrote as if there hadn't been.

3. admiral-bell

admiral-bell Chronic Lurker

You can't throw out half of one book, and then insist on using the full text of another.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Or worse, throw out half of both books, because the Koranic discussion of non-believers is rather more complex than just "kill 'em all".

5. aelf

aelf Ashen One

If the the Quran "commands you to seek out the infidel and kill them wherever you find them", then all practicing Muslims must be militant extremists. I can see why the crazier Republicans arrive at the conclusion that Muslims are terrorists.

6. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Have you read the Koran? Because like the Bible, it bends every way you want to.

as opposed to

(1 minute google)

Now, I always defended religion in this place when it was claimed that religion is responsible for so much violence in the world. Both the Bible and the Koran can be used to promote violence. And I don't have to go OT, I can just quote the Man himself: "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

And why not launch into the OT stuff?

7. Traitorfish

Or the inverse, that the only truly practising Muslims are the militant extremists, which means that the majority of those who self-identify as "Muslim" are just harmless and misguided. It really has to be one or the other.

8. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I agree with you, of course, but it's mainly because what you're saying is essentially no different :crazyeye: :p

9. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I do happen to agree with the line I bolded. But everything before that... :nope:

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Got a list?

11. kochman

kochman Deity

That's not really accurate, but I don't want to turn this into yet another thread about that...
    Just look through past threads.
    The gist of it is Jesus creates a new covenant...
    The Koran specifically states when verses contradict each other, the later verse is the correct verse.

Just off the top of my head...
    The guy who attacked the Army recruiting station...
    The underwear bomber last Christmas...
    The attempted Times Square bomber...
    The Ft. Dix thwarted attack...

There have been MANY twarted attempts, those just come to mind immediately.

Luckily, most of them have been thwarted!!!

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

That's not political correctness, that's just being a decent human being.

Political correctness is the molestation of language to make some people feel better.

13. Traitorfish

That's not exactly a textbook-style definition. It still assumes an overwhelming degree of subjectivity, which takes me right back to my original question. If it's a genuine phenomenon, then it should not be difficult to lay out in simple, straightforward terms what it is and how it manifests itself.

14. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

Speaking of Florida and terrorists - what a coincidence, the OP must have a crystal ball:

Muslim man from Kosovo charged in Florida bomb plot

The mugshot from the article is also one of the reasons I don't mind being searched at the airport, despite being white. You can't tell a person's religious affiliation just by looking at their face.

15. civ_king

examples of this include neutering language and word treadmills. These days in the US the term black is politically incorrect and if you say the word "negro" people think you are a white supremacist. It's basically mandated that you say happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Blah blah blah.

16. Traitorfish

Right, because all terrorists are Muslim, and all people of Middle Eastern and South Asian descent are Muslim. :rolleyes:

Jumbled examples are not definitions. Try again.

(And, out of interest, why is the use of the term "negro" something you feel deprived of, exactly? :huh:)

17. civ_king

Most South Asians aren't Muslim

Actually the definition is in the quote

I'm not deprived of that term, I'm just referring to the backlash against Reid after he referred to Obama as a negro.

18. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

I don't know whether to respond with "Thats Rasist" or "lol white people"

19. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I use he term Black usually, I never use Negro, I think this is correct, yes.

20. Traitorfish

I'm quite aware of that.

The quote offered a description, not a definition. A definition would be something which serves to distinguish it from other social or cultural phenomena, not just an observation of certain broad characteristics. You yourself posed in contradiction to "being a decent human being", so where is the line drawn, and why?

You don't think that the content of the reference, rather than merely the form, perhaps had something to do with it?