Folk Emerging - a prehistoric 4X announced

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter

We got asked to help get out the word about this game, and we're happy to do so, since it looks interesting :).
"Folk Emerging" is basically game which brings you to the point where our beloved "Civilization" starts: At the point where Civilization starts.
This game is about controlling a band of hunter-gatheres on a turn-based hex field. You need to research new technologies like making fire, clothing or tents. You also need to deal with the hostile fauna, gather food, and develop societal norms. Your band of humans will need to develop the skills necessary for starting a civilization, and will need to explore the lands around them.
Overall this game looks like you should play first a round of this, and afterwards a round of Civ, since they look complementary, and should satisfy the urge of everyone who wants to go mammoth hunting. If you like Civ, then it might be wise to follow this game.

It has only been officially announced today, so it's not yet ready. A steam page for "Folk Emerging" is here, in case you want to wishlist it. You can also follow their Twitter-account here.

Last edited:

We got asked to help get out the word about this game, and we're happy to do so, since it looks interesting :).
"Folk Emerging" is basically game which brings you to the point where our beloved "Civilization" starts: At the point where Civilization starts.
This game is about controlling a band of hunter-gatheres on a turn-based hex field. You need to research new technologies like making fire, clothing or tents. You also need to deal with the hostile fauna, gather food, and develop societal norms. Your band of humans will need to develop the skills necessary for starting a civilization, and will need to explore the lands around them.
Overall this game looks like you should play first a round of this, and afterwards a round of Civ, since they look complementary, and should satisfy the urge of everyone who wants to go mammoth hunting. If you like Civ, then it might be wise to follow this game.

It has only been officially announced today, so it's not yet ready. A steam page for "Folk Emerging" is here, in case you want to wishlist it.
Can I fight off Neanderthals?

Can I fight off Neanderthals?
Hey, dev here. As I work on the demo (out in a few months) I'm trying to answer those kinds of questions.

Maybe you can fight Neanderthals -- or maybe you'll be able to play as the Neanderthals. Perhaps different hominids can be different playable factions, because there were many that existed simultaneously, but that might get overly complicated / messy, so I'm not sure. Not a super satisfying answer but it's where it's at right now :)

So the Winning conditions of this game will be 'Be the first to reach Iron Age' huh?
Is this what 4X games is going to? game geek discussions on this (or other similiar forums or Socialmedia) over 'Ancient Era Game Begins' that turned out that neither Civ series nor Humankind are correct (one might be 'half correct').

So the Winning conditions of this game will be 'Be the first to reach Iron Age' huh?
Is this what 4X games is going to? game geek discussions on this (or other similiar forums or Socialmedia) over 'Ancient Era Game Begins' that turned out that neither Civ series nor Humankind are correct (one might be 'half correct').
In terms of victory conditions, I'm testing out different ideas as I work on the demo. I'd like it to be more nuanced than "reach the Iron Age".
There's always the classic 4X tropes to fall back on, e.g. domination, but I think it could be interesting to have one victory condition be something like "unite all these nomadic bands into the world's first tribe".
Another one could be analogous to a science victory in Civ, but in this case it would be something like "be the first to form a permanent settlement with reliable agriculture", but I want to be careful about making one specific type of society the "end-goal", so there might be a couple different options here (e.g. sedentary agriculturalist, pastoralist herder, nomadic hunter-gatherer).
There are also some cultural, "wonder", and survival conditions I'm considering too, but still figuring that out.

As for your last sentence, I don't quite understand it, could you please rephrase it?

^I am guessing the basic idea behind this game project. Civilizaiton series always established that the game begins at 4,000 BC. while much of archaeological evidence suggested that some ingame techs are actually much older. like the first City Walls were 6000 or 8000 BC (Jericho)

Maybe the real goal of the game should be to be the first to be able to found and maintain a settlement.

And then beat the ever loving crap out of everyone and everything that comes too close.

The team from Folk Emerging has given an update about the recent developments here, and they talk about what thoughts went into the design process. They also reference one of Soren Johnson's recent presentations, and mention that a playtest might start soon. So... stay tuned :).

Top Bottom