Fonzi's Fate (TypeMoon) Themed Civs

FonziScheme

Chieftain
Hi,

So... many... spoilers! For all of the Fate franchise. You've been warned.

This is my first set of mods I've ever made. I'm still playing them to test everything, but the actual coding and stuff appears to be working without an issue. I suppose the biggest disclaimer I should have upfront is my artistic abilities suck, and I only used wikis to source images, so they're not all the highest quality they could have been. Anyways, further explanations of all issues and what the civs are are below.

There are six civilizations, each is separate but they should all work with each other. No clue about mod compatibility, it's mostly just XML and SQL aside from the Dynamic Leader Screen and Unique Diplo (working but not really added anything to it) Lua.

Here is the link to the collection of civs on Steam, each is an individual mod.
If Steam Workshop isn't working, you can download the files separately, I'll add a link at the bottom of this post (or in a reply if I can't edit this post, which has happened to me a lot).

If anyone is interested or likes these civs, I am happy to collaborate with someone. Whether that be with Lua code so that they have better abilities, or especially art that is far superior to what I have done, or even dawn of man audio.

In regards to Lua, things I wanted to do would have been to make Rin start with a guaranteed source of Gems rather through the first three cities she founds, which I think I might be able to do (was looking at The Pridelands mod to get an idea of how to do it). And then for Sakura maybe an ability that grants her 1 UU from any of the available civs in the game (it would be random, and I have an idea of the logic needed to do this, but I seriously suck at Lua so I don't even know if this is possible).

I am always open to constructive compliments, and will be trying to balance things to the best of my ability, though my coding knowledge for this goes only so far as XML (and a very tiny bit of SQL).

Current Problems that have been found and are being dealt/have been dealt with:

Sakura's civ has been fixed from granting +1 faith to all palaces. Her own palace will still grant +1 faith (though the capitol still has -1 faith, meaning she starts with 0 Faith just like all the other civs). Additionally, support has been added for the More Luxury mods. Sakura's trait will now work on Coffee, Tea, and Olives.

Leaderscreens are occasionally glitching when meeting for the first time. Press escape and everything will work fine afterwards. After testing, it does not seem to occur on my PC at all. Consequently, I don't know whether this is related to my use of Enhanced User Interface, or due to me playing on a Mac. I think it is the former, but if anyone notices this issue, please let me know your OS and whether you are using the Enhanced User Interface mod.

Further gameplay indicates that the leaderscreen issue is happening once per time I load the game, on the first time I meet/talk with any leader. Again, this is on a Mac with EUI and hasn't happened on PC. I'm guessing it's the Dynamic Leader Screen Lua, so if this really bugs you, I'd suggest going into the mod folder, go to each leader's Leader.xml, and finding the instructions on how to disable the lua.

Rin’s Diplomacy issue has been corrected, I forgot to delete an old version of the diplomacy file which caused only some of the diplomacy to show, instead of the full scope of the diplomacy I had written for her.

Medea’s Leader Screen has been corrected to the right image. The one that was displaying is one of her leader screens, but it should not have been showing when it was, so you may still see it if you meet the right conditions, but otherwise the leader screen will be the proper generic leader scene.

Fate Stay Night - Arturia Pendragon - Britain

Spoiler :

20170829123313_1.jpg

UA: Sword of Promised Victory - All siege units gain the Indirect Fire promotion.

UB: Shirou’s Kitchen - All units gain +15 xp in cities with Shirou’s Kitchen, in addition to an extra +2 food compared to the Granary which it replaces.

UB: King Arthur’s Court - Grants +2 happiness and a free knight in addition to the benefits of the Courthouse, which it replaces. (A regular Courthouse is instead built if using the Order Policy)

Fate Stay Night - Illya von Einzbern - The Einzbern Family

Spoiler :

20170829123533_1.jpg

UA: Memories of the Snow - Gain +2 food & +2 Culture from snow tiles. Start with a weaker version of Heracles instead of the standard Warrior.

UB: Einzbern Castle - Has quadrupled defense and city hitpoints and is much cheaper than the Castle that it replaces.

UU: Heracles - Has increased strength, but is more expensive to build and heals twice as fast as the Longswordsman which he replaces.

Fate Stay Night - Medea (Caster) - Colchis

Spoiler :

20170829123658_1.jpg

UA: Rule Breaker - +1 local happiness per 1 population in the capital, up to 1000 Happiness.

UB: Ryuudou Temple (Temple) - Grants a free Sasaki Kojirou unit.
-Sasaki Kojirou: Is a very powerful unit, only accessible through the Ryuudou Temple.

UU: Dragon Tooth Warriors - Very cheap unit, but very weak compared to the Warrior, which it replaces.

Sasaki: Has increased strength (compared to a Swordsman), Blitz, Logistics, and 3 movement. Promotes straight to gunpowder (musket man).

Fate Stay Night - Rin Tohsaka - Fuyuki

Spoiler :

20170829123819_1.jpg

UA: Gem Magic - First 3 cities gain a Gems resource where founded. Gain +1 Science & +1 Gold from Gems.

UB: Tohsaka Manor - In additions to the benefits of the Workshop, which it replaces, grants +5 Science & +5 Gold from Gems.

UU: Faker - Can always see 6 tiles around it, unlike the Archer which it replaces.

Fate Stay Night - Sakura Matou - The Matou Family

Spoiler :

20170829123944_1.jpg

UA: Imaginary Element - Gain +1 food, +1 gold from consumable luxury resources. -1 Faith from each city founded outside the capitol.

UB: Shirou’s Home (Temple) - Gain no faith, has double maintenance, but grants +4 happiness unlike the Temple, which it replaces.

UU: Black Mud - Gain a cheap to produce Hand Axe with no maintenance, which replaces the Chariot Archer.

Fate Stay Night - Shirou Emiya - The Emiya Inheritance

Spoiler :

20170829124110_1.jpg

UA: Forged in Fire - Gain +2 Faith from Iron & +1 Faith from all other metal resources. Upon researching Steel, gain + 5 Faith and +10 Production in each city.

UB: Unlimited Blade Works - Speeds the production of land based units by 30%. Doesn’t require iron. Adds +2 Production & +2 Faith from Iron, in addition to +1 Production from desert tiles.

UU: Saber - Has Siege 1 & 2 promotions (normally reserved for Bombers) and the Siege promotion for infantry as well. 30% more expensive to produce than the Longswordsman, which it replaces.

Additional Info (mostly copied from my posts on Steam)

Spoiler :
Requires BNW and possibly any or all of the DLC. Honestly not sure and haven't tested outside of playing with the full Civ 5 BNW and all DLC game.

It should be made clear that these should not be confused with any of the other Fate mods for Civ 5, which I had no part of (particularly would be the Fate/Zero Saber civ, and the Fate/Stay Night Archer civ).

Known Issues/Bugs/General Problems with these mods

Spoiler :
1. King Arthur's Court will not be granted by the free Courthouse policy in Order, and you will instead get a regular Courthouse. I've got no clue how to fix it.

2. The alpha icons don't display properly for the civs. Again, I don't know how to fix this.

3. There is a problem where the Heracles Starter unit or the Sasaki unit may spawn as Barbarians. I believe I have fixed it, but if you see it occur, please let me know.

4. Illya shows as having two unique Heracles units, and this is because of how I had to code it so that she'd start with Heracles. Ideally the Heracles Starter unit would be replaced with The Einzbern Castle on the load screen. I believe there is a way to do this with Lua, but as I suck really badly at Lua, it will probably not be fixed.

5. These mods have a whole lot of custom diplomacy. Unfortunately, for unknown reasons, both a single apostrophe “ ‘ “ as well as “…” do not always display correctly, leaving a blank space instead. Consequently, things such as ( eg. you re) occur regularly. If you see large spaces, it is safe to assume that it should have been “…” which I used a lot. There could also be other errors with displaying certain symbols I am not aware of yet. If I figure out how to fix this, then I will, but at the moment I’m not sure why it isn’t working.

6. Some of the art is slightly offset. This comes from me generally sucking at art, but also having issues getting things scaled right. For instance, with the map icon, I did not know there was a bleed I should have applied, nor do I know the size of that bleed.

7. Probably a ton of spelling and some grammar errors. I did a lot of spell checking, but there's always errors in something this large. I will correct them as I find them and, assuming a I find a few, update the diplomacy all at once. Feel free to let me know where I've made a spelling error.

Additional Comments by yours truly

Spoiler :
These are the first mods I've ever done for Civ 5. I do intend to balance these civs as I play with them more, and if anyone else is playing them, I will also take into account what others say. I generally play on Prince~King, but I want these civs to be just as likely to be picked as Babylon or Poland might be on Deity, without being really OP. And of course they have to fit their themes.

Art is not my specialty. I suck at it in fact. So to me, what I made looks miraculously good. To others it probably looks sloppy. Unless someone volunteers to help with the art, they won’t be updated. The art was all sourced from wikis, primarily the Typemoon wiki. Consequently, a lot of the images weren’t in as good quality as I’d have liked. I did try to upconvert them to the best of my ability.

This mod has custom diplomacy for each civ, covering a significant amount of interactions with the AI. As for the AI flavoring, I may toggle with that in the future. Honestly I’m not sure if I like them how they are at the moment or not. I did not make the personalities to win as much as I did to try to fit with the actual characters. Thanks to Typhlomence for their diplomacy templates which helped me to get it all working.

There are plans to add dynamic diplomacy in the future, but I didn’t feel quite satisfied with what I had written yet for that. It’s only a possibility, I may not add it. Thanks to Typhlomence in advanced for their UniqueDiplomacy Lua.

These mods also make use of Dynamic Leader Screens, where the leaderscreen will change depending on certain things. Because of limited art, there aren’t many for any of these civs and they vary between civs as to when the leader scene changes. If you go into the mod’s folder, open the Leader.xml file, you will find instructions to disable this if you are disturbed by the Dynamic Leader Screens. Thanks to Vicevirtuoso who made this possible and whose code is used to apply this.

Are you really disturbed by the map image? Does it not fitting the borders irritate you more than the combined forces of Alexander and Shaka? Or are you really just afraid of Taiga? If it annoys you, you can replace the map image to a default civ's map. Locate this mod's Civilization.xml file, search for <MapImage>FujiNee_Map.dds</MapImage>. Change specifically "FujiNee_Map.dds" to "preferred_map.dds" sans the quotes of course.

A friend actually recorded Dawn of Man audio for me, but I couldn't actually get the audio to work. Consequently, there is no Dawn of Man audio. That may have been for the best, the recordings weren't great, but it was better than I could have done myself.

Mod Compatibility/Support

Spoiler :
No clue. All six of my mods should work together, they probably work with most other mods too. Lua is only used for the Leaderscreens, as well as in the Britain/Saber mod for dynamic diplomacy (technically, it doesn’t do anything because of how I set it, but it is still working so that if I want to add the q=unique diplomacy, it’ll be easy to do in the future). If you find these don’t work with a certain mod, feel free to let us all know, but there’s probably not much I can do about it. Aside from the above Lua, my mods only use XML/SQL.

As for Mod support, I would be glad to add support for these mods if there is enough demand and I actually can figure out how to add the support. I may eventually add support anyways if I play with a certain mod activated. I play on Mac, however, which means without enough requests I won’t be adding support for mods that only work on Windows, as I can’t test those nor can I play them (I’m barely able to get my Windows PC to play Civ 5 for a few turns).

Disclaimer

Should I be adding something else here?

I don't own the Fate franchise, everything here respectively belongs to the owners of the various Fate franchises and TypeMoon. It’s obviously a fan work and not official, etc. I’m not great with disclaimers, but hopefully that covers the gist of it.

Links to direct download if Steam doesn't work

Saber/Arturia
Shirou
Rin
Sakura
Illya
Medea(Caster)

Last edited:
Top Bottom