1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Food, how much do you need?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kebnoa, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kebnoa

Kebnoa Chieftain

Hi,

How much total food do you need to get your capital city to Pop 7 (10, 13...)? (Assuming deity difficulty and standard speed)

Assuming optimal growth how many turns would it theoretically take to generate that much food? (aka How long is a piece of string?)

Failing this how would you go about working it out?

Thank you
    Kebnoa

2. Kebnoa

Kebnoa Chieftain

3. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

It looks like

{food to grow} = 10 * {current size} + 5

although I haven't exhaustively tested this. Assuming this holds forever,

{food to reach size N} = 5 (N^2 - 1) = 5 (N+1) (N-1)

4. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

I don't know how to make sense of "optimal growth". Even if we assumed infinite housing and amenities, each individual city has its own set of tiles to work, and the food you can get from them varies over time too (e.g. adjacency bonuses from feudalism). I suppose we could ask "how long does it take to grow on an infinite collection of 3 food tiles", but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

5. Kebnoa

Kebnoa Chieftain

Thank you for the response MyOtherName.

As to the optimal grow question. This was a little tongue in cheek, hence the how long is a piece of string comment.

In the Civ 5 maths page the base assumption is a constant surplus of 2 food, along with various variations thereof.

I think I was hoping someone had already done this for Civ 6, and saw this question, and decided to answer it. Mainly because I am too lazy to go do it myself at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

In Civ VI; there actually isn't enough info given to give a single concrete number; it's going to be a range; the minimum number can eventually be worked out; but the max number is infinity:
    1. Cities that are "occupied" never grow, no matter what.
    2. Cities that somehow manage to make it to +5 over the housing capacity, also can't grow until the housing capacity is raised.
    3. Cities at and up to +4 of the housing capacity suffer a 75% growth penalty.
    4. Cities at "only" +1 housing capacity suffer a 50% growth penalty.
    5. There are (relatively minor) growth penalties for cities at negative amenities that may become more severe if it goes deep enough into the red.
    6. There is a (relatively minor) growth bonus for cities at +1 & +2 amenities which becomes somewhat bigger at +3 amenities.

greygamer likes this.
  7. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Just enough to get my belly full. ATM two sandwiches will suffice.

racha likes this.
  8. Kebnoa

Kebnoa Chieftain

Thanks for the laugh Mustakrakish! Talking of sandwiches, it is getting towards lunch here now.

I am aware of the limits or factors influencing growth joncnunn, which is why I asked the question. Thank you for stating them succinctly though. I'll just have to go play more!

9. TheGreatSleepyOne

TheGreatSleepyOne Chieftain

You can get a city to 7 population really quickly if you chop rainforest or remove marsh. You can also harvest fish (cattle and sheep too?). This is great for my first few cities or new cities during a feudalism wave.

10. Promethian

Promethian Warlord

I'm not sure anybody has actually done the math because growth is almost never bottlenecked by food. Housing remains the primary growth bottleneck and remains that way until your tech is so high that you have super farms and thus food is no longer an issue as well.