1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Football Manager 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by woodelf, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Do you get more yellow cards then, Daimon?

Started as Twente to get better into the game. Won Osijek in Euro Vase and Omonoia in Uefa Cup first leg. If you have extra money, buy Blaise N'Kufo. He is great, scores from every chance.

I found two great youngsters too, but dind't get them coz they wanted to stay few years. Check Colo Colo's Nicolas Millán and Universidad de Chile's ?? Silva.

2. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I just had a couple of odd games. In the third round of the FA cup as Norwich we knocked out Liverpool 2-0. It was a random striker on his loan debut from Blackburn. Then in the next match against Crystal Palace they had three players sent off and yet we only won 2-1. Earnshaw will probably be finally fit again for the next match and Agbonlahor should be match fit again soon.

3. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

Now that I've got into the Prem I might start a new game dunno. the board won't let me buy anyone new because of the wage bill so I dunno, might try a new challenge...

4. Daimon

Daimon 50 post-er

Yes, but that's not the point, the point is you're taking out their wingers and stikers! :D

I've reached January as Chelsea where i've suffered my first defeat after 19 competetive games undefeated (15 wins and 4 draws), lost 3-2 away to Arsenal. I've bought Vincent Kompany from HSV (IIRC) and i'm going to try and get Ribery (awesome stats).

5. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

That sounds a bit crap if they don't upgrade the wage budget.

6. Daimon

Daimon 50 post-er

Well i've just had my first taste of real defeat, and it din't taste good, lost 7-6 on penalties to Blackburn in the final of the Carling Cup. Didn't help that Lampard and Robben were injured and Kalou got sent off.

On the bright side I managed a 3-3 draw away at Barcelona in the CL first knockout round, first leg and i'm second in the premiership, a few points behind Arsenal and have a few games in hand.

Now that i'm about two-thirds of the way through my season, I can give advice on some decent signings i've found:

Adriano: I got him for £29 mil, so he's not for every club, nevertheless he is an amazing striker, my joint top scorer with Drogba.

Juninho Pernambucano: Got for £15 mil and well worth it, he's a MC but can also play ML. Has a penalty rating of 20 and is similarily good at free kicks. He's 31 though, so he's nearing the end of his career.

Anthony Vanden Borre: 20-ish year old belgian. Can play fine as DR, WBR or MR-very versatile very cheap, no more than £5 mil, great stats.

Luizao: 18 year old Brazilian DC. Decent stats, pretty cheap and still very young.

Aaron Hunt: 18/19 year old Dutch (I think) FC. Good stats, again quite cheap and young enough to improve.

Vincent Kompany: DC, not sure how old he is, good stats, I got him for £15 mil but you could probably get him for less.

7. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

I'm still waiting for Sega/SI and Amazon to get their crap together and ship to the US. Soon, they keep saying...

This has given me ample time to try the demo and 3 different team levels multiple times. I'll admit that playing with Chelsea's money and roster was fun, but didn't tell me anything about my managing ability. Playing Derby (and trying to avoid getting relegated) and playing Nottingham (and trying to get promoted) are much more appealing so far.

8. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Derby are top of the Championship in my game. :)

9. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

:p

Well after going winless in 6 contests and dropping to 21st I shook up the lineup by adding youngsters and won my next 2 to jump to 9th. All is not lost!

10. Daimon

Daimon 50 post-er

Phew, the seasons over, I can breathe!
    Won, the premiership, with 86 points, 9 ahead of second placed Arsenal. Just a quick round-up on the other tournaments.

Carling Cup- lost in final to Blackburn on penalties.
    FA Cup- lost in semi-final to Reading, Reading went on to beat Man City in the final.
    Champions League- lost in semi-final to Valencia who were in turn beaten by Arsenal in the final.

For next season:

Champions League places:
    Chelsea (prem. champions)
    Arsenal (2nd in prem.)
    Man City :eek: (3rd in prem.)
    Liverpool (4th in prem.)

UEFA Cup places:
    Aston Villa (5th in prem.)
    Reading (FA Cup winners, 12th in prem.)
    Blackburn (League Cup winners, 16th in prem- hehe, they were almost relegated, imagine a UEFA Cup team in the premiership!)

Watford, Sheffield Utd and Fulham were relegated, Crystal Palace, Sunderland and Coventry were promoted.

11. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Daimon, try to search for Freddy Guarin. In FM05 he was the best of all midfielders. I bought him in 05 as Wigan, got a place in Marseille, bought him there, got a job in Juventus, Barcelona bought him for 20M€. :eek:

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Frederik Thomas from Le Mans was a very goood player in 06 but he doesn't seem to be quite so good at Auxerre in 07. United seem to have several very good youth players that I want to steal.

13. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Is concentrating on adjusting training important to your success? I think that is the reason that my friendlies go well, and euro-cup matches if they are pre-season, but in league I get beaten by almost every team.

14. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I find that pre season games generally follow no relation to league form. Teams play without pressure and so they are less likely to underperform. I now set my own training regimes however I would expect it to have more of a long term effect. Morale is pretty important so if you lose your opening couple of league matches then it can be hard to recover.

15. Suppersalmon

Suppersalmon Think Safely think again

i let my assistant to do the friendlies there not important for anything major only player fittness

16. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Scary, I saw someon'es X-Fire profile.. over 900 horus of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territoy, nearly 700 hours of Civ4... and 1000 hours of Football Manager 2006 :shock:

As well as a thousand and a half hours of other games combined.

17. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Almost through the second season as Celtic. Once again made it to the final 16 of the Champions League, once again got smashed out spectacularly. Ah wells, I'm 12 points clear in the domestic league.

And in an amusing case of art imitating life, Martin O Neill just became Aston Villa's manager (this is FM 05)

18. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Trying as Osasuna to success in Primera. I bought 3 new defenders, Daniel Sturgis from Los Angeles, Marquinhos from Santos or Corinthians and Domingos from Santos. It was fun to look at Domingos's scout report card;

"Goikoetxea believes Domingos has no real weaknesses."
    :D

19. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I do love the World Cup in this series. In Champ Man 00/01 I once had Mexico win it. Now I've just witnessed an exciting final in Germany - Italy vs Wales.

2-1 Italy, I was rather disappointed :p

20. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Closet Welshman Kan? :mischief:

But yes the WCs do throw up some funny results from time to time.