Football - the sin bin

Hawkster

sorcerer
After seeing some of the 'events' at the Man Utd v Arsenal game this weekend it has convinced me more than ever that it is time to introduce the sin bin in soccer. For anyone who isn't familiar with a sin bin it is commonly used in rugby - for certain infringements a player is sin binned i.e. sent off the field of play for 10 mins. In soccer I think it could be used for the follwing:

1.Dissent and abusing officials
2.Persistent fouling and / or professional fouls
3.failure to retreat at free kicks or throwing the ball away

and perhaps others. I see this as a way of punishing a player (a yellow card means little) immediately and hopefully improving behaviour.

Comments anyone?

:confused:

My first comment would be that apparently a large amount of the troubles happened in the last 10 minutes so it would not have helped that much. It could definately work but it would probably still not change player attitudes.

@Hawkster
1.Dissent and abusing officials
2.Persistent fouling and / or professional fouls
3.failure to retreat at free kicks or throwing the ball away

I agree with you in principle, but somehow it should not be instead of yellow cards. Perhaps players who are yellow carded for current offences should also spend 10 minutes off the field of play.
For lesser offences (such as not retreating) perhaps only 10 minutes in the sin bin and no yellow card would be appropriate.

Sorry I didn't mean instead of a yellow card - that should still stand (plus the toting up of points etc).

I just feel that some form of instant punishment would be better than the current system

In hockey (field hockey), you have to loose steam for 5 minutes after a yellow card. I think it is a good idea!

@Hawkster, please change the word soccer to football in your first post.... For heaven's sake, you are British!

Haven't our good friend Joseph Blatter proposed that a yellow card ALSO should mean that you'd have to spend 10 mins off the pitch to cool down? That way, a yellow card becomes more important, if you already have one player off you will feel more hestitant to produce unnessecary hard tackles and such.

Personally, I think that would be a good idea.

I agree in principle. The only problem is, there'd be huge amounts of stoppage time because it takes about one minute for him to get off the pitch. So in a game of five yellow cards @ 1 minute each, six substitutions @ 1/2 minute each, two small injuries @ 1 minute each, that'd be 10 minutes of stoppage time! I know this already happens with red cards, but yellow cards are much more frequent. Then, they must come on into play again, and the rules state that this can not happen until the ball goes out of play. In theory, therefore, the person could sit there for 15 minutes because the ball isn't dead. Also, teams who are up 2-1 or 3-2 would waste time deliberately on dead balls, and the ref must subsequently give a yellow card for this. They could then waste even more time going to the sin bin!

A better idea would be to suspend players faster, i.e. after two yellow cards, then one game for each yellow card after that. That could be scaring enough (though I doubt it)

Originally posted by Håkon
they must come on into play again, and the rules state that this can not happen until the ball goes out of play.
that may be the rule but in practise refs often let players back on earlier. Is it just me or does the ball seem to stay in play longer than it used to?

On that topic it seems daft to me that a player who is fouled and injured has to go off - thus leaving his team one player short even though they have been sinned against.

I agree with the idea though - although seeing s blatter is in favour i am starting to wonder.

Time wasting is a good point as Rugby games are meant to be 80 minutes long and yet they usually finish after around 90 minutes, unless I am mistaken :)

i tottally agree with the Sin Bin in football my Pe teacher used to do it at school and i could notice that the player that was taken off did calm down and was so desperate to get back on the pitch. it also looks like it does well In Rugby i dont feel it should be given to every player who has a yellow card may be for answering back to the ref or argueing

Top Bottom