1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Statement victory 4-0 against the USA...Best start ever for Costa Rica on a WCQ Hex...2 big away matches coming up in March against Mexico and Honduras...

2. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

I guess Trump would need to build a wall over USA's goalposts, as well.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

40 wtf? I only took notice of the 1-2 at home to the rapists. Then everything went wild about Messi scoring again and Lavezzi's drugs and what-not.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

5. daft

daft The fargone

What happened in Montreal prior to the MLS Eastern Final? (never saw the match, but go REDS!)

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

- Some dumbarses on the Olympic stadium groundscrew confused metres with yards and painted the 18 yard box a bit too small.
    - Fortunately this only affected 4 lines and fortunately the referee spotted the mistake before the game began
    - However, traffic around the stadium in the last couple days has been horrible due to several surrounding roads being under construction. There are some subway issues going on too IIRC.
    - As a result of the above the referees arrived at the game late, and thus spotted the mistake with not much time to spare

So instead of an 8:10 kickoff we got an 8:40 kickoff, had to wait for them to measure out the proper distance, double-check their measurements, triple-check their measurements, paint the new lines, paint green over the old lines, and then wait for the paint to dry.

This was embarrassing because this was basically the biggest game in Canadian soccer club history. The milestones achieved:

- It was the most watched MLS game in Canadian history - 1 million Canadians watched the game and a record 3.6 million Canadians tuned in at some point of the broadcast according to TSN. It was also on in the U.S. and got a decent number of viewers there but I don't know any numbers
    - It was the best attended soccer game between two Canadian teams ever with an attendance of 61,004
    - It was the first time a Canadian team has made it to the MLS cup semi-finals (Aka the eastern conference championship)

Anyway, the fact that the game started late didn't seem to bother the people at the stadium. They were cheering the guys painting the lines. And probably drinking. The traffic and public transit problems made it harder for people to show up on time too so as a result it meant that the stadium was actually packed by the time the game started.

It was so depressing to wait for that to happen and then to see your team go down 3-0. But then we got 2 away goals so now we are back in it.

The media is mostly talking about the entertainment factor of the game and about the 2nd leg and the screwed up lines didn't really seem to affect people's perception of the game. But that's just my perception of events so who knows. Either way the TV numbers are insane, I didn't expect anything like that, it's a great sign of the potential future of the sport in this country

I am attending the 2nd leg at BMO Field next wednesday! I am super excited. It's going to be the biggest crowd at BMO Field ever - They've added 8,000 temporary seats or something like that. Biggest game at BMO Field ever and it's going to be a crazy one!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Seats? Don't you have standing areas?

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The whole south stand and a couple other sections stand the whole game.

Spoiler :

See text in the bottom-left. There's been some talk of introducing no-chair standing sections but I haven't heard anything about that in a couple years

There's also a small standing area in the north in between 130 and 101, but it's kinda crappy unless you're right at the front

The new temporary seats they've added are more for casual fans who haven't been able to buy tickets yet. At least that's who I imagine is going to buy those tickets, they're all probably going to be sitting down

9. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

No terracing. *sigh*

10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Stadiums aren't allowed terrace standing areas here abouts due to risk of over-crowding or something. Suspect it's the same for rest of EU.

11. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

all I see is familiar faces
    worn out places

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What are you some sort of a terrace hipster? It's not really a North American thing, although like I said a terrace solution to the southern stand at BMO Field in Toronto has been considered, since everybody always stands there anyway. They don't even have terraces in the Premier League in England.

13. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Yeah, the Camp Nou used to have a ton of standing capacity, but it was gradually phased out. I presume it was due to changing safety standards more than anything.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Well, yes. Except that it's not about being a hipster but the exact opposite.
    That is sadly true, it's part of the ‘improvements’ aproved by Thatcher's administration in order to weed out the poor, after they doctored the Hillsborough reports to make it look as if the crowds were to blame rather than the police.

15. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

That is a pretty hipster thing to say though.

16. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

17. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

The classic triple dot hipster reply!

shadowplay likes this.
  18. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

:nono:

19. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

OMG wife just told me the entire Brazilian National Soccer Team just died in a plane crash:eek:. Please let this be a hoax:( Does anyone have any good info on this?

The only thing I can compare it to in US terms would be the US basketball team. What a national tragedy if this is true. I hope its not real.:(

EDIT: I just looked it up... unbelievable. My heart goes out to any Brazilians here on CFC.

EDIT:I just read more closely and realized its a local team not the national team. Still very tragic.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  20. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

It is tragic...They defeated Argentina's 2 most popular clubs on their way to the Copa Sudamericana's final...It was a remarkable achievement as a modest team...RIP...May God keep their souls...