1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

:(

We had a moment of silence for the tragedy before kickoff last night. Brazilian flags were seen throughout the stadium, whereas usually there aren't any (Toronto has some Brazilians living here but not many)

Not to steal the spotlight from the tragedy but yesterday's game was the craziest, loudest, and most entertaining game I've ever attended. An intense rivalry and the fans in the stadium were all going nuts. I got so many free hugs! Eventually we were all standing, all 35,000 of us, jumping around and celebrating. what a night!

daft likes this.
  2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Saw a report that the black box on the plane shows the pilot begging for permission to land due to running out of fuel,
    and being refused.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

warpus! I actually stopped on ESPN's LatAm feed to watch the MLS Eastern Conference match. Which of the screaming maniacs caught on screen was you?
    2… no, not the two, but they lucked out on penalties and what-not to get it and, frankly, I favoured them over the cartel-club from Medellín.

Apparently the company operating the aircraft in question is one long favoured and ‘recommended’ by CONMEBOL with curious performance records and connections. The Argentine national football team used it last month, again on CONMEBOL's ‘recommendation’. Messi & Co. complained about some issues during the flight, but nobody paid it much attention.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Nice, what did you think of the game? I actually sit a couple rows behind several TV cameras, so sadly I will probably never make it on screen. I used to get on TV every once in a while when my friend used to have his seat in the south stand.. but he's since moved elsewhere and I've since gotten my seat elsewhere as well.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

At least you got a scoreline worthy of a Mexican repechage match. I only got to see the goals -Canadian teams need to learn how to defend, especially on corner kicks.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Oh man Montreal was so bad defending set pieces this game. Believe it or not but they have been good at that this season... and TFC have been horrible at scoring from corners or crosses this season.. so it was super crazy for us to get TWO corner goals this game. Nobody would have predicted that.

Toronto's defense is something the manager has been working on it over the last 2 years. Our defense used to be really really bad. Our trademarked move would be to lead 1-0 or 2-1 and then blow it in the 88th minute and tie or lose. We were known for being a crappy team that can't defend, isn't confident in the back, and lets in goals at the worst possible time.

Drew Moor was brought in, he's a highly experienced MLS defender who has one MLS Cup under his belt, to stabilize our backline, as well as two highly experienced fullbacks (Morrow & Beitashour). We have two guys who last year were rookies back there as well, but under Moor's leadership they have improved quite a bit and are now regular starters. So our defense is now fairly solid, we actually have the best defensive record in the East, which is amazing, considering that last season we almost let in the most goals out of anyone in the league and like I said before that we had a history of being a team which sucks defensively.

So essentially this is our first ever season where we don't suck defensively. :)

You should also understand though that the salary cap means that MLS teams usually prefer to focus on offense. There is only so much money you can spend on salary each season and teams usually prioritize offense as a result. Designated player spots (their salaries don't count against the cap) are usually midfielders and forwards. The fact that home-field advantage is so important (due to the crazy long travel distances in the league compared to European leagues) means that teams usually win at home and lose away. Because of that it's easier for teams to get points at home without having an amazing defense. That's not to say that all teams have crappy defenses, but the #1 priority is usually going to be midfielders and forwards. More and more resources are spent on defense as the cap continues going up and as the quality of the league improves ever year, but in the end teams tend to put more emphasis on offense (a good offense can be in its own way a good defense as well, etc.)

So what am I trying to say? Defenses could be better in the league but they aren't laughable. Teams have to prioritize somehow due to the cap and strategically speaking focusing on offense makes sense given the factors. But as the cap rises and teams get better offensively every year, you can expect defenses to improve every season as well. And I mean, some teams will actually sign expensive defenders, like Ashley Cole. So teams aren't completely ignoring the defensive part of their team, they are just on average focusing more on offense.

In other news, the last game broke even more records!

4.4 million viewers! That's 15% of Canada. (These numbers don't include American viewers at all) The future of the sport in this country is bright! We'll see how many people watch the final here in Canada. It could go up but it could go down since Toronto-Montreal is such a heated rivalry more of the country might be up for watching that.. or maybe the final will draw more because it's a final. We'll see

7. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

#verrou

8. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Yeah. After seeing your post, I saw an article on the Guardian site saying the pilot had just enough fuel loaded to do the distance in perfect conditions. That does make things look just a wee bit different.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

It is a curious cost-saving measure that reminds me of the cost-saving measures that Brazil undertook in order to make FIFA, CONMEBOL and CBF profit from building stadia for the World Cup two years ago.
    Evo Morales, the President of Bolivia, has denied any connection to the accident beyond the fact that the pilot used to be his pilot. Things get ever more curious.

10. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Bournemouth-Arsenal tho

11. daft

daft The fargone

TFC will take the MLS cup and the other (real) Reds, Liverpool FC, will win Premier League, hopefully. This will be the season of Reds, no Chelseas or MCI's, and MU-They're not real Reds, at least since sir Alex left.

(sorry Arsene, top four again, but no titles, same old, same old - gosh, hope I'm wrong, kinda writing this down hoping for a vice-versa effect)

12. daft

daft The fargone

You mean Arsenal 5 West Ham 1?
    That was nice, wasn't it?
    FOREVER!!!

13. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Jesus, why did I say Arsenal? I meant Liverpool. Must've been too busy gloating

14. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Hey, at least Andy Carroll keeps scoring. It is good that you gloat about last-minute goals, Tolni-chan. Here, have a Pip-Boy mug with which to celebrate Liberpudlian mishaps.

15. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

If Toronto FC wins the MLS Cup, and they also win the Canadian tournament, how are the US spots allocated for the Concacaf Champions League?

16. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Hmmm, good question. It might be a bit like Mexican teams going to both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL competitions, or Welsh clubs playing the Welsh Cup but English leagues.

In Europe, Arsenal make it through in the first spot, which means that they can now safely draw the Bayern Munchkins at ‘random’ for their next rival (or whomever comes second between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund), Barça score a lot, Citeh… do something, even if they should have gotten a penalty, Napoli make it through even without Higuaín, etc.

Meanwhile, the enormously hypocritical CONMEBOL awards Chapecoense the Sudamericana title (plus cash prize, qualification for next year's cup in the winners' berth, etc.) and then gives Atlético Nacional a USD 1,000,000 ‘fair play’ bonus. Nacional, of all clubs!

17. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Apparently the pilot of the Chapecoense flight had an outstanding arrest warrant but nobody ever thought to enforce it. The links between governments, football federations and private contractors are curiouser and curiouser every day -the airline's manager has been arrested in Bolivia today.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

These are the rules that apply:

As a result these are the possible scenarios:

1. Seattle wins the MLS Cup and qualifies for the Champions League
    2. Toronto wins the MLS Cup and (since Toronto is Canadian and can't qualify for the CL via the MLS Cup) NYCFC qualify for the champions league since they had more regular season points out of all the (Non-Canadian) teams that are left. However, Toronto have already qualified for the Champions league by virtue of being Canadian Champions.

The funny business with the Canadian teams is because the only way for a Canadian team to get in is via the Canadian Championship. This is done so that there can be compliance with CONCACAF's rule about there being 1 team from Canada, 4 from the U.S., and so on.

Edit: Some fan created art for the final:

Spoiler :

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  19. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It was a nail-biter.

I cheer for TFC. However, Seattle defeated Toronto 6 to 5 in the penalty shootout.

20. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Oh… it was lateish at night and it was already in extra-time so I changed channels and forgot to check (it was Indiana Jones night, so I think it's justified).