football thread No11

1-0 and they go on to the quarter-finals. Very stupid decision. At least at this moment. Of course, England doesn't have a winter break for the league, which would have been the perfect moment to chanage managers, but… eurgh.

Am I allowed to say that Harry Kane owned it, or is that too bad a pun for even me?

Pretty exciting clashes in the Europa League...Gladbach overcame a 2 goal deficit and defeated Fiorentina 2-4 and Celta Vigo with an injury time goal forced extra time and went through to the round of 16...

Apparently the owners of Leicester FC gave Ranieri their express support earlier this month. This explains a lot.

Am I allowed to say that Harry Kane owned it, or is that too bad a pun for even me?

Fortunately for you, there are many gluttons for punishment in these parts.

Apparently the owners of Leicester FC gave Ranieri their express support earlier this month. This explains a lot.

I thought this only happened in my country...Apparently, expressing support for a struggling coach is almost an universal sign of " you're screwed"...

I thought this only happened in my country...Apparently, expressing support for a struggling coach is almost an universal sign of " you're screwed"...

In the US, this is known as a "Vote of Confidence".

Getting a "vote of confidence" from the board is usually a bad sign because it means that they had a meeting to decide your fate. That's never good, it means that you were doing crappily enough for them to actually meet about your fate. The subtext of a vote of confidence is usually "for now, you better improve or else.."

It's really a ‘We (still) have confidence in the manager ('s capacity to pull himself out of this one without our help).’

Aaaaand Arsenal get stomped into snot by Bayern again.

EDIT : And on the picture at the head of the BBC article, Arsene looks like he's about to barf.

It's on the Indy that Arséne's said the team's in ‘great shape’ after the match.

Meanwhile the inevitable happened and Real Madrid scrape through on mediocre play. I suspect they will continue to draw a team at ‘random’ from the lowest 25% of all teams.

As those two games against Munich showed, Arsenal without Koscielny is absolute crap

I cannot believe we are at 3-0. I am scared: I have faith.

Must be hard to be a Leicester fan then.

IT IS DONE! A MIRACLE IN 5 MINUTES, A NIGHT FOR HISTORY. 6-1

Tonight proves that :
If you refuse to play football for most of the match
Against a relatively good team
Have bad luck
Have the referee blow a few major debatable calls for the other side
Have a goalkeeper that can't stop a shot or get hold of the ball
Have a coach who does the worst coaching possible

You can lose a game 6-1 despite having a reasonably good batch of players.

The moment when I saw the line-ups, PSG fielding a 4-5-1 formation without either Di María (!!) or Pastore (!), I just thought that it was up to the men in red and blue. In fact, when the game was at 3-1 Di María and Cavani were two-on-one with Ter Steggen and somehow the ball didn't go in, well, PSG bottled it there and then.
Refereeing questions: a) Was the penalty correctly awarded (at 4-1)? Suárez was throwing himself forward but the defender had an arm on him and didn't complain about the decision.
b) shouldn't Barcelona have had a player (Piqué IIRC) sent off in the first half when they were only 1-0 up?

Again, where is the real Unay Emery?

Top Bottom