1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Tolni

Tolni trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Does this mean we have to retire the UEFAlona jokes, or just make new jokes?

2. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Real UEFAdrid ? EspañUEFA ?

3. JohannaK

JohannaK "Hero"

UEFAlona? It's always been Madrid. It's just they're getting unashamed with expanding their referee purchase program.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

C'mon, Joan, it's not as if Chelski got a fair deal (on the pitch at least) in '09, didn't they?
    In the first leg Juve had a penalty not awarded at 3-0 and an offside wrongly called. Barça had a foul in the box disregarded near the end of each match. The general standard of refereeing is dismal.

Still, it's bad enough that TV shows can air entire specials about Real Madrid being helped. I expect them to draw Monaco for the final (at random, with chilled balls) and let Atlético and Juve wear each other out.

5. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Video replay would solve a lot of these blunders...It almost seemed like UEFA wants Real Madrid to win the CL at all costs...

6. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I think it's mostly just abysmal refereeing by impressionable people during the game. Kuipers did a respectable job yesterday however. I don't believe much in conspiracies during the matches themselves, I do doubt about the draws though. Madrid somehow always gets the 2nd leg at home, Barça in that respect also seems rather "lucky" usually (although a tiny bit less so).

7. Takhisis

I'm not going to watch the semis or the final even if I get my TV back from the shop. Not after this week and the last.

8. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Monaco-Dortmund was great (and so was Monaco-City in the first round). Perhaps root for Monaco ?

9. Takhisis

Monaco-Dortmund? Are we speaking about the tie that begun with Dortmund being forced to play less than 24 hours after a bombing and then losing the match to an offside goal? Madonna!
    And with a strange performance, randomness in ensured… just as in 2015, the year after Madrid defeat Atlético they face them again but over two legs. :crazyeye:

10. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

I didn't watch the first leg (and am not a fan of UEFA's decision to play it on the day after the bombing), but the second one was great.

11. Takhisis

It was a bloody robbery. That's why I'm so angry this year. Last year there was a quite apparent open instruction for Real Madrid to draw the weakest opponent possible and the teams that have eliminated them from either the Champions League or the Spanish Cup always faced each other (Bayern-Juventus, Barcelona-Atlético, Atlético-Bayern). This year Real Madrid gets outrageous refereeing but also every other match is ruined anyway with goals scored in clear offside positions, players wrongly sent off, and so forth. The quality is dismal and the whole ‘best league in the world’ is a sham. Even if I get the TV fixed in time I'll not watch the matches; I'd rather watch the Maigret reruns.

12. Takhisis

Apparently Messi will have his sanction lifted, even though the rules say that he has to sit at least two matches out (maximum four). His own lawyers (and those sent by AFA) were surprised. According to the local sports press there were secret talks between the Russian FA and Adidas, the main sponsors, both of which are adamant that Messi must play in their showpiece.

13. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Well, yeah, Argentina failing to qualify to the World Cup would be a marketing disaster for Adidas, and it would be a huge blow for the WC as well...Imagine the millions of dollars lost if Messi didn't play in the tournament...

14. Takhisis

Apparently they are angry that Nike snagged Cristiano Ronaldo. For the Russian government it's a different thing. Given that they expect it to be a propaganda coup, they've put so, so much money into this that they don't want to waste it.
    Another thing to take into consideration is that -apparently- CONMEBOL/FIFA is not allowed to actually issue this sanction because the referees failed to take action. So why prevent Messi from playing against Bolivia? Maybe it was a slap on the wrist for AFA to get their act together and kick out the ‘wrong’ candidates for the presidency and, as always, agree on a ‘unity’ candidate i.e. a non-election.

15. Takhisis

16. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Interesting. In France we have a woman referee in second division, and she'll likely be going to first division soon (she's a bit young for it right now). Things are going in the right direction !

17. Takhisis

And in 24 hours we'll have a champion. If Ajax win I'll have to learn Dutch. If Urited win I'll have to put up with Mourinho in the CL next year.

What a bloody conundrum.

18. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Dutch is almost like German but with a potato in your mouth, most Germans would joke about...LMAO....Looks like the Special One secured the last CL place for next season...

19. Takhisis

I think you're confusing that relationship with the one between Danish and Swedish. ;)

Ah, well, now the competition formerly known as the UEFA Cup is definitely transformed into the Champions League Second Division. >_<

20. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Real Madrid are the champions again...Im actually not cool about this since I hate that club, but otoh, a fellow Costa Rican and a fellow citizen of my hometown of Perez Zeledón got to win it, I'm torn...