football thread No11

Is Real Madrid the most hated big club?

Probably.

I watched the start of the game but lost interest as I really couldn't conjure up any care for either of the sides. Grats to RM though.

Basically they are a bunch of cheats. They get horrendous refereeing and they seem to have curious draws in their knockout stages.

But then… there have been so, so many instances of refereeing… Borussia Dortmund are forced to play a game less than 24 hours after they're the target of a bombing and the first goal of the game is scored in an offside position. Atlético Madrid more or less get away with not paying taxes or debts. Lionel Messi gets a suspended sentence (for now). Cristiano Ronaldo's own trial for tax evasion is still unresolved. Ten years ago, AC Milan were rightfully docked points for matchfixing but, since Berlusca was the on-and-off #1 Italian, they were given back the points and they qualified for a Champions League they ended up winning (Juve were still relegated, because their president was not named Berlusconi). Any millionaire with money to spare and sense to acquire can get himself a club and brute-force it into winning titles (not just Chelsea, but also Manchester City, PSG, Leicester!, Blackburn Rovers!, Urited bought with its own money, etc.). Each World Cup brings a new low in refereeing and organisational standards (Qatar, anyone? Brazil, Russia and the mysterious deaths of construction workers?) - the ridiculous way in which Messi was de-suspended earlier this year… I'm watching less and less football each year. :undecide:

Any millionaire with money to spare and sense to acquire can get himself a club and brute-force it into winning titles (not just Chelsea, but also Manchester City, PSG, Leicester!, Blackburn Rovers!, Urited bought with its own money, etc.).

Don't forget Monaco. Rybolovlev may have lost part of his fortune since he bought the club but he brought it from 2nd division to winning first division and CL semifinals

Borussia Dortmund are forced to play a game less than 24 hours after they're the target of a bombing and the first goal of the game is scored in an offside position
QFT - misrefereeing is never punished.

@Takhisis, you are spot on and that's why I have stopped watching professional football. It's a farce and I wonder why the masses still pay so much money to watch that.
I mean, back in the days, when I would go and watch Bundesliga football at my town, there was at least some sort of pretense of loyalty and a sense of watching guys play for your club not just for the money. Those days are long gone, Munich being the most hated club for buying players off other teams just to destroy them. It went all downhill from there.
But then, I also stopped following most sports as cheating is a must in order to be competitive. Nobody can tell me that anyone involved in Olympics is clean. Forget that notion. Hence, I lost interest. Or you get nations 'buying' athletes from other countries for the glory of a medal count...ridiculous.

You nostalgic old farts. Corruption, cheating, wealth and bad judgements has always been a part of sports and will always be a part of it. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hate the offseason...Sure, there are a few tournaments still going on and there's the Confed Cup and Gold Cup coming up, but this is otherwise the most boring time of the season...

Nah it's the hight of the transfer season it's great ! My club just hired Ranieri, you can't get much cooler than that

Allrgedly he has already decided that he isnt coming back.

He didn't think they were that bad when he got all those offside goals and easy draws in the Champions League.

The Confederations Cup is progressing as expected.

Now, it's interesting to see how Messi and Di María and Cristiano Ronaldo and Mourinho all seem to have misplaced their tax money. If I weren't such a trusting person I would start thinking that perhaps the clubs themselves helped the players, erm, ‘avoid’ their burden.

Chile match Argentina's record for three finals in three consecutive years -having already won the first two, against none other than Argentina.

CONCACAF has got to be the most corrupt and incompetent federation in the World...Allowing non-FIFA federations to compete and allowing them to play with ineligible players according to FIFA rules is beyond ridiculous...
For those who don't know, Florian Malouda, the former French international is playing in the Gold Cup for his native French Guiana vs Honduras...So no matter the result of the match, French Guiana already forfeited the points, if FIFA rules are to be followed...

Yeah the Guyana federation has been asking CONCACAF for a definite answer on whether they can play him for quite some time, and they are yet to get an official answer. The answer is probably "if you give us enough bribes you can play him".

Top Bottom