1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Arwon

Arwon

2. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

The PSG - Crvena Zvezda match has been highlighted as highly possibly fixed, given that one of the Serbian club's officials had specifically bet some seven-digit amounts on his club losing by at least five goals. The match ended 6-1 to PSG.

#championsleague

3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

The Netherlands won this evening with 3-0 against Germany in the Nations League.
    :king::crazyeye::lol::thumbsup:

Both our team (young, new players) as the coach needed that victory badly after so many years of underperforming.
    Germany scored for the first time in history no goals in three sucessive matches (Korea, France, Netherlands).

4. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Yes, the Nations League has been a real blessing. England-Croatia or now Switzerland-Belgium are just wonderful to watch. Before we had games against Moldova or the Faroes in these games. I just compare this game right now to the meaningless friendly from three days ago, and that's so much better. The Nations League will supplant the ordinary qualification process sooner rather than later is my guess. Probably with an added cup or something to allow San Marino to have a game against France or Germany every now and then.

But yes, we're (=Switzerland) in the final four. That's a big success for a country that could not win a knock-out game in a World or European cup like forever (i think). Now only two games for a title, everything's possible :)

5. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Final four composition (assuming the NL qualify) is underwhelming, but I guess it'll be fun for those involved.

6. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Don't blame the winners. The truth lies on the pitch, so if those big names haven't qualified, blame them.

(enough football platitudes in there for you? )

7. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Iceland's magical football potion has worn off it seems.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

We're still playing minnows here in Canada, I guess because we're ranked really really low. Our manager is playing all of our wonderkids, Davies, Davis, Tabla, Millar, etc. Amazing to watch them develop, but for now the Nations League hasn't really gripped me. Poland played some games and they were meh

9. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Poland is not playing well, and wasn't playing spectacular teams. The Sp/Eng/Cro group was really impressive. Probably at a higher level than the final four will be.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Poland was playing really bad. Worse than at the WC maybe even. If Canada was playing Poland right now, I'd put my money on Canada (although we lack defense)

AdrienIer likes this.
  11. Arwon

Arwon

Asian Cup coming up in January, we'll be defending our first title. I'm currently watching us do what we like (save scoring more than occasionally) against an overmatched Lebanon in a friendly. It's Tim Cahill's "testimonial" farewell game and a Scottish bloke on debut for us has both goals to half time.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The Canadian Premier League, the first ever coast to coast soccer league in Canada, is about to kick off! (In about 2 months)

Some of the teams will be playing in rather unique stadiums. Here is Calgary's Cavalry FC's initial home stadium, it's built on the grounds of an equestrian complex. The family that owns the team owns this complex (Spruce Meadows) and has a ton of experience hosting horse-type events.. This is their first crack at football, but so far they have been doing everything right

The odd shape is due to the fact that this will continue to be used for horse events in the future. The club already has plans to build a larger stadium nearby at some point in the near future.

For now the CPL is mandating that team stadiums have a capacity of at least 6k. The league commissioner says that an attendance of 6,000 or so per team per game will be needed in order to make the league sustainable. This explains why the stadium is smaller than you might expect for a top flight league.

Other teams in the league are playing in similar stadiums, although 2 will be playing in Canadian Football Stadiums that are larger (but they will have the top sections tarped off)

Cavalry FC is touting to have a very unique football experience, I can't wait to watch them play. I also can't wait to use this as an excuse to fly to Calgary and attend a match

13. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Is the football season going to coincide with the calendar year, or are they going to follow the English example and destroy their players physically by forcing them to play a game every other day at the turn of the year?

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The full schedule was actually just announced today. It uses something similar to the apertura/clausura format

Can't play in Canada over the winter, it would be impossible unless every team has an indoor arena, which would not be feasible. Toronto FC manages to host games in early December and late Feburary but it's really really crappy (It was -20C w/ windchill yesterday and I was at the game and it was really really cold) .. .. Cities like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, etc. would have a much harder time than that hosting games then. In late december or january, forget about it.

The spring season will run April 27 - July 1 (Canada Day) and the fall season runs July 6 - October 19. Each team plays 14 home and 14 away regular season games total.

On top of those 28 games a season CPL clubs will also compete in the Voyageurs Cup (Canadian Championship) and the CONCACAF League, sort of like this continent's version of the EUROPA league. The main difference (it seems) is that 6 teams are able to then qualify and move on to the CONCACAF Champions League.

The league is also expecting to take on anywhere between 1-3 new teams every year (until there are enough teams for 3 divisions with pro/rel) so the schedule will change every year almost

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

So your authorities are moderately sensible at least.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

They have to be sensible at this stage because they have to design something that will survive in this market and grow. So they have to tread carefully and plan everything very carefully. There's crazy long travel distances for teams and fans here, even more geographic problems for scheduling than for MLS (IMO), it's a country with well established top sports as well, and a media market used to specific sports.... there's many other challenges so they're not going to just have games in the middle of winter for no reason, it's not like they can cash in on that (yet). Once every Canadian city has a Domed soccer thunderdome and the CPL is viewed by billions around the planet, maybe then can they consider having games on January 1st

17. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Yes, yes, I agree with all you've said, but it's not as if football managing bodies were anywhere near sensible on any continent. It's a bit of good news to see a league being organised halfway decently. :)

18. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

That does look fairly sensible, especially (even ignoring weather considerations) not attempting to go up against hockey in winter .

warpus likes this.
  19. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

That looks like a cool stadium and starting small seems sensible, though I would've chosen a different name for a competition starting on July 6th than "Fall". And shouldn't there be a week or two of break in there? well, you know best. :)

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Well, you couldn't call it summer, because the spring season really overlaps into summer as well.

The significance of July 1st is that it's Canada day, basically a big party in the whole country (Except Quebec maybe, but they celebrate their own thing on this day I think) .. That's why the 2 seasons aren't equal in length, it was a strategic decision. Not sure I agree there needs to necessarily be a break in between the seasons. Everyone in the country will have a Canada day hangover on July 2nd anyway ;)

Here's the HFX Wanderers stadium. It might be my favourite, it's right in the middle of the city, on the historic Wanderers grounds. I also love their crest. Can't wait to get out there for a game

mitsho likes this.