1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I am now religious. All of them.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

My dad is a diehard Liverpool fan. It's hard to overstate how enthusiastic he is.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Good Heavens, if we get Liverpool-Ajax or Liverpool-Totnam it'll be so '70s.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I tuned in at half-time and thought "Oh there is a very small chance!" So I kept watching.

I'm glad that I did. This is very close to that comeback against AC Milan. It's just something you will never forget..

Where was Barca? They have so much experience turning up for those big occasions. Their body language was telling.. they didn't feel like they were in the game for some reason. The last 8 minutes they kicked it up a notch but it was too late

I'm not a liverpool supporter, but I like cheering for underdogs, and I usually tend to cheer for English teams over Spanish ones in Europe. Have followed the EPL for so long so I can def appreciate this and smile about it a bit

What will they do when Messi retires?

caketastydelish likes this.
  5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Sadly, I was at work when this was played. But wow. Just wow. That last goal looked like the futbol equilvalent of a Harlem Globetrotters trick play.

6. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Not a Liverpool fan but that was pretty amazing.

They lost in the same manner last year (3 goal lead in first leg against Roma in quarters).

warpus likes this.
  7. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

It was an absolute disgrace. Liverpool won very deservedly. The team seemed as though they werent even on the field for most of the game, and played horribly. Arturo Vidal was about the only player who gave his heart out. And of course it wasnt enough. Sergio, Alba, even Messi were catastrophic at reading thr state of play and passing the ball. The game started to change when Arthur came in, but it was much too late. The rest of the team was already down the deep end, and the fourth goal was an indictment of the whole of them. After it, when Liverpool decided to hunker down around their goal Barça finally looked like Barça. But it was much too late.

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

To be fair they were pretty damn lucky that Barca didn't put one in during those 90 mins. They had some big chances. OTOH Barca were lucky that Liverpool didn't score at Camp Nou, some big chances there as well.

9. JohannaK

Indeed. So all in all, Liverpool deservedly won.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Barça more or less stumbled into their three-goal lead but… well, after seeing what Totnam got up to today it's really a season for surprises.

Has anybody seen wim?

11. west india man

west india man Immortal

I died of a heart attack after that game

12. Ozbenno

The Tottenham-Ajax game was just as remarkable. Thought it was all over at 2-0 (3-0 agg) to Ajax at half time. To get the winning goal with essentially the last kick of the game was amazing (or heartbreaking if you're an Ajax fan).

Interestingly Tottenham are the first new Champions League finalist since Arsenal in 2009.

Go the Spurs!!!

13. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Valverde has to go...he's a coward, trying to defend a lead when you know your team does best by attacking...The players' attitude was also at fault...That fourth goal perfectly illustrates a team in complete and utter disarray...The captain must always be the one inspiring the team... Where was Messi?? Where was Piqué??? This team lacks some real leadership...Where was Valverde??? Come on...
    This post isn't intended to discredit Liverpool's gigantic and admirable efforts to win the draw, and I must say that they fully deserve to go through, they were the better team throughout the 2 legs...

14. west india man

west india man Immortal

First new Champions League finalist since Chelsea in 2008, the 2009 final was Man Utd vs. Barcelona

15. JohannaK

Arsenal was 2006.

I am reluctant to blame Valverde squarely because honestly the only player who seemed to be actually playing was Arturo Vidal running like a madman. He was the only one who did his job, but I am not sire that he was the man that we needed. In the days of Xavi and Iniesta, you could count on them to hold on to the ball and regulate the tempo of play. Barça failed at all times to achieve the control of the rhythm that it needed and it was horrendous. I think Arthur is the closest thing we have right now to those two, and when he played he did things right. The rest of the team was beaten though, and seemed incapable of anything at all.

16. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Valverde has surrendered a 3 goal lead on a CL KO phase for the second time in a row...This team has no leadership, it's too Messi-dependent, to be honest...He failed to sub Arthur for Coutihno at halftime, he failed at subbing Vidal out as well, since he was one of the best players on the pitch..This failure has Valverde written all over...

17. JohannaK

That is also true. Yesterday on Catalan TV there is this show where they take the funny or weird bits from other shows and also parody them in skits. There is this show currently about a celeb spending 12 hours with a family to try and find out which one of their members is not actually related to the others. So they parodied this saying that Coutinho was actually a small town baker from cebtral Catalonia who was trying to pass for a professional football player. It was both funny and sad.

18. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Very entertaining semi-finals! The final tends to be a bit boring but here's hoping the goals continue all the way through. Liverpool definitely favourites but could be pretty even. They've won both Tottenham games this season but struggled with both games so we'll see. Both Salah and Firmino should be ready till then but after the last game one can kinda make the case that they shouldn't start it.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Tottenham are doing the exact same thing in the league and in Europe -win one, lose one, never draw if they can't help it. But, hey, it works!

Four out of four for the Premier League in Europe it is for this year.
    Was this the show better known as ‘Mou, res’?

20. Ozbenno

Oops, Arsenal was indeed 2006.

Has there ever been an occasion that the four Champions League and UEFA/Europa League finalists have come from the same country before?