football thread No11

Nope. Although, of course, it hasn't been that long since we've had this many entrants to the various competitions.

Very entertaining semi-finals! The final tends to be a bit boring but here's hoping the goals continue all the way through. Liverpool definitely favourites but could be pretty even. They've won both Tottenham games this season but struggled with both games so we'll see. Both Salah and Firmino should be ready till then but after the last game one can kinda make the case that they shouldn't start it.

Be interesting to see if Kane pulls a Willis Reed... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Reed (Go to 'First Championship' section).

Several players from La Liga and the president of Huesca arrested for alleged match fixing.
At least 3 matches under suspicion

Congrats to Liverpool.

Typical final, kinda boring. But I'm really glad they took it. Kane was completely out of it.

My dad is a diehard Liverpool fan. It’s hard to overstate just how happy he is.

No talk about semifinals then?

The 2019 Copa América is about to start…
Neymar is being accused of rape and (latest headline) an audio file has surfaced which he apparently tried to hide or delete or something so his picking up an injury in a friendly against Qatar and thus being definitely forced out of the team will probably be a blessing in disguise for the team.
Their eternal rivals Argentina beat Nicaragua 5-1 in a friendly with Lionel Messi scoring twice in two minutes.
If I had to bet on any team I'd put a quid or two on Uruguay or Colombia.
…and CONMEBOL has decided that they will switch to even-numbered years so they'll hold another intercalary Cup in 2020 and then the following one will be held in 2024 rather than 2023.

Some goals from the new Canadian Premier League so far (with 6 games or so played per team)

The first goal you see was the first one ever in league history.. which I witnessed in person! The player who scored it (Ryan Telfer, local guy) is actually out on loan from TFC, the team I have season tickets to. Was rooting for him the whole game.. It felt special to see the first goal ever in person

I would say the quality of play in the league so far is at the top USL level or so, which is the league just below MLS in the U.S. It's really hard to say because these are (almost) all completely new clubs, with new rosters, and everything else. There was an obvious lack of chemistry at first, but that is slowly changing. It will be interesting to see how CPL sides stack up against USL (Ottawa) and MLS (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal) opposition in the Voyageurs Cup (Canadian Championship, basically Canuck FA Cup)

Attendance average right now is at about 5,500, which is actually right where the league said they need it to be for the league to be sustainable. Weather has been horrible though, so we will see what happens to attendance in the summer

If you're wondering how I watch these games, I paid $75 Canadian ($56 USD) for the whole year for the onesoccer.ca subscription service. For that I get all league games (no blackouts), all Canadian championship games, national team games (mens and womens), and assorted original content. You can watch from any country on the planet except maybe North Korea, and they used to do a no obligation 1 month free trial. 10 CPL games are shown on national television on CBC (our state sponsored propaganda/broadcaster) and a further 10 games on their streaming service as well (which is free, but accessible only from within Canada)

This has been your Canadian football report

Last edited:
Copa América… GO! It is a matter of record that so far Brazil has managed to win all continental tournaments they hosted and crashed out horribly at all world tournaments they've hosted.

So, without Neymar but with Argentina used to rescuing defeat from the jaws of victory, I still think it's probably Colombia/Uruguay and then Argentina, in that order.

Oh that's right we're in that thing next year aren't we!

Why isn't Copa America a pan american thing? Do central and north america have their own football cup?

CONMEBOL does South America. CONCACAF is the Central and North American federation. I dunno their cup name but they do have their own.

Last edited:
Copa América… GO! It is a matter of record that so far Brazil has managed to win all continental tournaments they hosted and crashed out horribly at all world tournaments they've hosted.

So, without Neymar but with Argentina used to rescuing defeat from the jaws of victory, I still think it's probably Colombia/Uruguay and then Argentina, in that order.
I am a great picker Colombia and Uruguay have both finished the tournament unbeaten, being knocked out on penalties. Uruguay had three goals disallowed for offside positions, all of them technically true, although two of them were about by an unclipped toenail.

So the semifinals are two derbies of the type that can occasionally get violent, especially Wednesday's.

Brazil-Argentina (2/7)
Chile-Peru (3/7)

Argentina is the only team that scored in their quarterfinal, all the other teams won on penalties after 0-0 draws.

CONCACAF cup is the Gold Cup

It should be noted that the U.S. always has an advantage in this tournament, since they always host. So it's not really an equivalent cup IMO. It's more of a money making exhibition tournament for the confederation

We're not a well balanced confederation. Mexico dominates, the U.S. pretends to, then you have a group of countries a couple levels below that.. and a lot of minnows. I don't know if it'd be easy to have one tournament with both north and south america. South America is so well balanced, there's 10 teams who can more or less compete against each other. CONCACAF in comparison is a circus

If UEFA with it's adornment of tiny city states nations can manage a cup I don't see why pan America wouldn't. Seems to me that with separate north south cups neither quite hits the spot. 10 nations is just not enough for a cup, emotionally or mathematically. Just my opinion though.

I think the main problem is travel.. the distances are crazy and there are a lot of small countries with small budgets.. and most CONCACAF countries just couldn't compete in CONMEBOL. So it'd basically be Mexico and the U.S. joining in and maybe a couple other potential contenders as dark horses, but..

Yes, Mexico and the US had decentish performances the last time they were invited (2016) but inviting Haiti/Bermuda/Guyana*/Honduras would entail a footballing massacre.

*sorry, Mise

A goal scored in the CPL is currently making its rounds on the internets as "one to look at". So I am sharing it here

Or rather here

So exciting for me as a Canadian football supporter to see local players get their crack at playing in the pros and showing what they've got. There's already been outside interest in several players in the league, although as far as I know not this particular one

Top Bottom